Hard Disk Crash, My First and it Sucks..............

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K2WH, May 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Yes, it does and I am slowly slogging through the muddle of info that is there (I had a backup), and stuff that is no longer than.

Downloading drivers that don't work and software that is missing and was supposed to be on the backup but it is not.

Trying to get FT-8 back up, but the drivers although installed, do not seem to work.

I have no sound even though ----------------- oh forget it.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Ugh :(

I’ve been there and it really does suck

Good luck

Dave
    W7UUU

KK4NSF likes this.
  3. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Unfortunately, SMART (Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology) isn't well supported on Windows. On Linux, it can often warn you when a drive is just starting to fail (long before it crashes).

KF5RRF and KK4NSF like this.
  4. AF9US

AF9US Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

K2WH:

Frustration and defeat....

After experiencing a PC crash, due to the age of the HD, rather than replace the HD then restore, I decided to rebuild. My PC that crashed about 10 years ago, then it was already outdated - hardware wise. I always wanted to build a PC, that turned out to be the opportune time!

New motherboard with up-to-date hardware, new SSD, and, later, a new power supply and case; the project was finished. Software wise, I downloaded software I used on the crashed PC. All worked very well, while more expensive than a replacement HD, building of the PC resulted in far less headaches, frustration, aggravation, almost uncontrollable cursing....

If inclined, give building a PC from components a try.

Satisfaction far out weighs the agony of a PC crash,
    Bernie, AF9US

KK4NSF and K6CLS like this.
  5. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Not to rub salt in the wound, but how often did you back up and/or create restore points in your computer? If you're going that far back where drivers aren't working, then I suspect you didn't back-up often enough; for your limited use, a weekly backup should be made.

Add to that missing drivers that should've been backed-up, well...you should try giving a better backup program a try so everything is backed-up.

6. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I think many of us have been through that... and it's a pain in the backside, to say the very least. If the HDD is really dead, or missing sectors, then recovery is going to be painful.

Going forward, think: RAID 5. After my last HDD crash, I installed it on my upgraded machine, and have not lost a single byte of data since. Regular backups to an external storage are not a bad idea either.

One thing you might be overlooking are the Motherboard Chipset Drivers. If you have no sound, that's the first place I'd look.

7. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Most MS backups just keep your data, not OS & software. A clone actually allows you to just plug the backup drive in & go (With some Startup repair).

Ed

8. N3AT

N3AT Ham Member QRZ Page

Acronis True Image has served me well for full system backups.

KD4MOJ and K2WH like this.
  9. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

I use Carbon Cloner (for the Mac)--been using it for years and it has great support.

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If the motherboard supports SMART it should not mater what OS is on the system.

It runs a test before any OS has booted.

I use Win98 SE and Ghost to mirror disks. The disk size limitation is the only draw back, But I do not keep all of my eggs in one basket.

Old school works and is reliable.

Most crashed drives can be recovered with a little work. Just to get drivers back may not be worth it.