hands free laws and ham radio

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC9TLP, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
  1. KC9TLP

KC9TLP Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone got any issues so far from this this where they are? I know in IL, we're supposed to have the ham radio plates as its written into the law. The fact the dmv took 30 minutes to look the paperwork up is bothersome to say the least. even with bluetooth radios out there(the yaesu ft-10m and 350 come to mind) its not really hands free anyways, and its quite expensive.
  2. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is the first mention I've seen that a state requires you to have ham plates in order to exercise the use of your radio in motion. Or that your radio must be 'hands free' mic. (except for Canada)
  3. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There was the Ham in New York that got nailed by a school cop and lost in court, but won on appeal.

New Hampsha lets dumb people drive yacking on the phone. They figure God will sort em out...
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you have a reference to the IL statute on this?

First time I've ever heard of a state "requiring" amateur radio license plates, for anybody.

I've also never heard of a "hands free" statute that pertains to ham radio (or even CB) equipment. Here in CA, we've had the "hands free" regulation for a while, but it pertains to using telephones; 2-way radio gear is specifically exempted.
  5. NI7I

NI7I Ham Member QRZ Page

I havent heard of such a regulation (I dont believe that they are statutes) but I certainly would endorse such a rule. I dont believe hams are any better at multitasking than the average idiot on the highways.

6. WB2WIK

You'd probably really hate riding along with me as I operate mobile CW at 40 wpm and drive on the freeway.

I don't think I'm distracted at all.

Been driving 43 years, operating mobile rigs for all of them. 1.3 million miles driven, zero accidents. Never even had a ticket (yet). Unless you count parking tickets. I won't count those.:p
  7. KC9LGW

KC9LGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is news to me, never heard of the law requiring ham plates and I'm from Illinois.
  8. KD0EIA

KD0EIA Ham Member QRZ Page

You know, I suppose CW is probably pretty safe, If you consider it a second language it really no different then just talking to someone in the car.
    Would that be correct?

Russ KD0EIA
  9. WB2WIK

For me it's a lot easier than "phone" operation. No mike in your hand, no mike cord to get tangled up; and if passengers are chatting in the car, it's a mutual annoyance to work phone but CW is easy to separate from the voices, and I can copy it at very low volumes and not bother the passengers. It's also really easy to simply stop sending if I need my right hand for something more important, like driving! Just move hand from key paddle to steering wheel -- no need to put down a microphone or take other steps.

For HF work if I operate mobile, it's almost always CW.

As a mobile operator of any kind, you always have to be willing to put driving first and operating second. If the contact ends suddenly, that's the way it goes. I don't bother sending "73" if I need my attention on driving.

It's easiest with open-road cruising, when watching signs, making sudden turns and dodging pedestrians and such just aren't required.
  10. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Gawd ! I would never try that.
    I'd spill my beer for sure. :eek:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.