ad: dxeng

Hand waving and finger flicking

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by KC9UDX, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Subscriber QRZ Page

Am I the only one who thinks pushing a button makes more sense than waving your hand around to turn something on or off, or, flicking your finger around on a touchscreen to scroll?

It just seems to me like this is a serious step backward.

And then there's the issue of having to hold power buttons down for two seconds to get something to turn on or off. It's getting more and more prevalent. I just don't get it.
  2. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It depends on how well the touchscreen works. The first cellphone I had with a touchscreen wasn't the greatest. The one I have now works pretty well. The touchpad is heat activated - the heat of your finger gets it going.

The only time I have a problem is if I have the phone in my shirt pocket on a cold night, and I have to answer it by dragging a bar on the screen down with the swipe of a finger. If it's cold out, the phone will be warmer than my finger for a while, and it won't sense the finger. I've learned not to have the phone next to my body under such conditions.

A phone with all the buttons I need to run this Android would be a pretty cumbersome affair.
  3. W4HAY

W4HAY Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't even like touch buttons. I want to feel and hear the snap of contacts making or breaking.
  4. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I threw my cellphone away nearly a year ago and have never looked back.
  5. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I also threw my cellphone away 1 1/2 years ago and started using smart phones Apple iPhone 4 and now a 4s would be lost without it and my iPad teather it to my iPhone wifi hot spot even though it does have 3g service available. With email and internet at our finger tips 24/7 for information I love it!

I have had a mobile phone since 1974 and my first cell phones were the bag type they were a pain but thought great at the time. My how things have changed in our lives that we would have never thought of until Dick Tracy's wrist watch phone LOL.
  6. W4MAJ

W4MAJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've owned an iPhone for the last three years and I'm starting to wonder why I have a cell phone at all. In the last month, I only used 58 minutes of 5000 minutes available. I suspect half of the minutes used were spent talking to someone with an Indian accent who insists his hame is Debbie.
  7. NZ0Z

NZ0Z Ham Member QRZ Page

It depends on if you are producing or consuming content. Touch devices are handy for reading things and consuming content. By having the keyboard disapper when you aren't using it they save valuable space.

When actually 'working' and producing content, an real keyboard works much better.
  8. NY3V

NY3V Ham Member QRZ Page

My Proctologist is excellent at 'Finger Waving'. :D
  9. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

There are quite a few applications where waving, pointing and other gestures without touching have good potential uses.

Some examples I've heard of:

A surgeon in the middle of an operation wants to look something up on a computer or control some instrument. He can't touch anything but he can move his hands.

A mechanic working on a car, hands covered in grease, wants to lookup something in a service manual.

A power company control room which has really wide computer monitors representing the network. When a screen gets beyond a certain width, it gets to be a pain to move a mouse that far. Much better for the operator to be able to point at something to zoom in or wave to move the view left or right. I doubt if they'd want to commit to a significant action that way (e.g., turn power off an on) but for data selection it should be very good.

Public information kiosk type computers, ATMs etc. People prefer not to touch something lots of other people have touched.
  10. KC9UDX

I at least, am more productive using a rag to quick wipe my hands off and paging through the 700 page paper book..

AmigaOS has had a non-waving-flicking solution to this for almost 20 years...

Such people need a dose of reality, IMHO. What would they do if someone told them about the air that they are breathing in that someone else might have breathed out?

Now, to point out an example to the contrary: I'm running a machining center and my hands are covered in oil/coolant/garnet-water/etc. Flicking my fingers around on a touch screen is not only not going to work, it's likely to make it necessary to give the touch screen a good cleaning. Pushing a mechanical button does not generally suffer from this issue.
  11. KG4NEL

KG4NEL Ham Member QRZ Page

This is exactly why I haven't gotten a tablet yet.

They make awesome remotes, but trying to put a spreadsheet together with one...
  12. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly, and even as remotes they're not necessarily the best tool. My software makes use of having its database open and a Web browser concurrently--there's simply not enough 'real estate' on any of the pads for it to work well for the user; too much image and data entry, too little screen to see it.
  13. KG6MZS

KG6MZS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I hate, hate, hate soft controls! Having to wake a ting up before turning it off is just lame.

And what about prompts that interrupt a long process? I have some FTP software that has an "upload" button. You push that and a thermometer shows "Upload Progress" but it is actually only compressing the files. After they are compressed, it prompts (again) "Upload?" The compressing can take a long time. I have come in in the morning expecting that a hours long upload was done overnight only to see the stupid "Upload?"prompt.
  14. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

The best thing is to say nothing, just give them that look, don't buy it, and they'll go away. Those reasons for needing a no button TV, radio, PC sound as plauible as the reasons why the European Union exists. Every bank in Europe with no money, five countries in meltdown and unemployment getting worse and industrial output just going through the cellar floor.
  15. 4L4AGU

4L4AGU Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe, touchscreens are making people dumb.

With button, you have tactile feedback when you press it, and also, while "seeking" for it, your brain and finger skin remembers the texture & layout of the cellphone (just as example), so you can type without looking at screen. With touchscreens, you have no idea where are you "clicking", so have to involve visual feedback channel, which dramatically slows down working speed.
  16. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Funny you should bring that up. I am currently typing on a Spanish keyboard. Instinctively my fingers go to keys that they have known for years only for my eyes to find out they are incorrect. Therefore I have to adapt to this new (to me) keyboard structure.

On top of that I still use my laptop, which uses an American/English(IDK if British keyboards differ) layout. Slowly but surely I am learning to use both keyboards at different times of the day with few setbacks.

Sorry for the random input but it just popped into my head after reading your post.
  17. KC9UDX

I keep thinking of this. I have a "Speak & Math" that for some reason I still find entertaining that sometimes I play with when I'm listening to my shortwave radio. It has an ON button and an OFF button, which seem to be read and acted upon by the microprocessor. I push the ON button and it instantly turns on. I push the OFF button and it instantly turns off. It's been working just fine since 1979; it has never turned on or off accidentally. Why can't my FT-2900 be this way? This is progress?
  18. KW4MW

KW4MW Ham Member QRZ Page

My iPhone uses a touch screen - I like it.

However my Mac came with a Bluetooth mouse that scrolled by my wiping my finger across the top surface of the mouse - I put it away and bought a wireless uSoft Mouse that works with buttons and a scroll wheel.

OTOH - about 27 years ago I made fun of an engineer who bought a mouse for his Amiga (remember them) - I thought that it was silly and a real computer user would use PgUp, PgDn, Home, End, the arrow keys, and a bunch of memorized key combinations to operate a computer.

19. AD7N

AD7N Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you tried a tablet with an accessory keyboard? they work awesomely well. Or try Asus' "transformer" tablets with attachable keyboard:

I have the Transformer Prime with the attatchable keyboard. Probably the best money I've spent on a portable computer.
  20. KC9UDX

My main computer is an A3000UX. It's currently out of service, so I use my wife's A2000 for everything. I simply cannot afford a new Amiga. Fancy schmancy all-mode-all-band radios that I can't afford are cheaper.

27 years ago, why did someone buy a mouse for a computer that came with one? At that point, a replacement mouse probably cost more than a C64.

An interesting fact: An Amiga requires a mouse. You cannot use it without one. Yet, you can emulate a mouse with the keyboard, so you're never out of luck if you break your mouse (or burn up the mouse port's fuse). Of course, if you have no mouse and no keyboard, your input options are limited. But, you'll never get that annoying
    Keyboard............................(20 sec delay)..........................not detected
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.