ad: wmr-1

Hamvention Talk In

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W8HJR, May 14, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

what???? NO WHITE CASTLE?????? How can U do Hamvention without White Castles??? I need about 10 at a time!!! washed down with BIG RED!!!

WF9Q likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

At site. Quick notes...

Plenty of extra parking at many points across Xenia. I am sure they will open othe satellite lots as needed

Do NOT approach site thru Xenia. You willclose the town down coming to Fairground Drive from Downtown

Only two off site food places are walkable

Sat lots are not walkable. Use buses.

Portopotties are at satellite lots

Hawkins Rd axxess chosem to control traffic. Use it.

The new home of hamvention is large, lush, and really cool. Fancy tents abound for vendors.. DARA has built a dream ham haven on a beatiful green expanse.

K9UR likes this.
  3. W4LJ

W4LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I-O! (from an OHIO STATE alumnus)

4. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Only the Supervising K-6 unit, with the Rolling Patrol units 496-499 (Alarm Runners/Assistant Supervisor), along with very few guards are licensed to carry on the job. Before they went digital you could lisyen in on 461.055Mhz

5. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

See Chip! No panic. Just minor traffic Armageddon. You survived. You made it!

Now please spend a lot of money and help to make Hamvention great again.

See u tomorrow !

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice to see you at Xenia :)

K9UR likes this.
  7. KG0MN

KG0MN Ham Member QRZ Page

After comparing notes with other handicapped scooter riders we have concluded that the features market is useless on grass. I'm fully aware that the Dayton group can not control the weather, but I can't image gambling driving 1500 miles round trip to Dayton hoping it doesn't rain. I have shopped at fleamarkets in down pours. But when you can only make one pass down and back which drains your batteries is a joke and my batteries are new. traffic getting in on Saturday was about a 5 minute wait which was a waste improvement over Friday. The problem was getting there at 7:30 and they don't open flea market till 9:00. When in the past it opening 1 hrs prior to the vendors. When asked they said they did have a separate gate to let people into into the flea market.

8. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Likewise Chip ! Thanks for stopping by. Always good to see new and old friends alike.

Maybe all that water and mud helped propagation or ground conductivity - I worked EF0F on 20 meters CW mid-day using my cheap-o MFJ faux bug catcher. Not bad DX.

73! Safe travels back home to all
    Joe

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  9. W4JDY

W4JDY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The site is too far from a major city and tourist attractions in the area. So sad this was the choice. Older Hams will stop coming now as the distance and no where for wives to shop and/or visit in an area already plagued with traffic jams.

Add the weather and road conditions, and convention site, a poor choice save for financially.
    There was the Wright-State Center at a terrific location in every way possible. A deal could have been struck using the local chamber of commerce and government.

This will be the end of the largest Ham Fest unless common sense prevails.

Dayton Mayor and Council members are iditos as they have destroyed anyone's desire to visit the city let alone live there.
    Crime and catering to the violent residents and daily drug abusers are typical liberal failed policies. Clean up the city!!!

10. AE8F

AE8F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I enjoyed myself thoroughly. Even with muddy shoes and pant legs. I offer the follow.

Xenia is only a short distance from Dayton, Beavercreek, Fairborn and Yellow Springs. The National Museum of the US Air Force is closer to Xenia than it is to Trotwood. Xenia has shops. There is a bike path and the Beavercreek mall is a couple miles closer than the museum. Plenty of shopping choices. I don't think older hams will stop coming just because of this past weekend.

We cannot control the weather in Ohio. I also thought the Wright State Nutter Center would be a good place. My guess it was an availability issue. Or maybe the cost. Wright State would certainly charge a premium cost because they are millions in the hole. They probably priced themselves out of the running. You can bet DARA contacted all governments and Chambers of Commerce offices in their search. This wasn't a fly by night last minute decision. A lot of thought went in to it.

I also don't think that the problems that arose this weekend aren't being worked right now to prevent them from happening next year. The traffic problems were solved the second day. They didn't wait until next year. This isn't the first rodeo for DARA.

I agree that the Dayton city counsel and government are not genius's. They drove out the ATA (Amateur Trap Association) a few years ago instead of working a relocation plan. Now Illinois gets all the money the ATA brought in to Dayton.

So I hope everyone gives DARA a chance to fix the problems.

Pat
    DARA member

KF5VGK likes this.
  11. WW8X

WW8X Ham Member QRZ Page

We also enjoyed it as it was fresh change from the awful Hara venue. The Dayton newspaper quoted a comment from DARA that they had been caught off-guard by Hara's decision to close... really? I'd think they would have had alternatives in the works knowing the infrastructure issues at Hara. Did they consider the Dayton Expo Center at the airport? Where the Vectren Air Show is hosted each year... it has similar or even more attendance numbers. The Friday flea market was a little soggy... but, Saturday was a real mud hole.