ad: Halibut-1

Hamstick Dipoles

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by kb9zcv, Apr 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KC8PPD

KC8PPD Ham Member QRZ Page

How interesting. I've been thinking about this and I'm glad to hear your experiences with it. My 40m ant. is a single hamstick with a counterpoise wire on my 17th floor and it is a terrible perfomer. I'm considering to use it in this configuration.

This subject is probably not so foreign. My 1990 ARRL Amateur Radio Handbook explains this in the Antenna Chapter under a paragraph that describes "Helically Wound Shortened Dipole". Maybe this can give you additional info on the subject.

I only wonder if one would need a balun transformer since it is a dipole.

Have fun!
    Ketut, KC8PPD

2. N2EA

N2EA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hamsticks actually work quite well as short dipoles.
    They're not overly efficient....but very convenient.

Radio Works has blocks which allow you to screw
    two of these together. I think there are also
    brackets which can clamp on an apartment balcony
    railing.

You have to be reasonable in your expectations, though.
    On 20, it's a 33' piece of wire, compressed down to...
    what..10'? On 160, it'd be a 256' piece of wire
    compressed to something like 14'. The former will
    work with reasonable efficiency. The latter will not.

Jim/N2EA

3. K9IDX

K9IDX Ham Member QRZ Page

Honestly, I've just put together what I honestly think is the best you can do from an apartment with a balcony.
    A combination of the Hamstick dipole, an Alumiglass retractable pole from Home Depot and a coax wound in 6 loops at the feedpoint (balun), this thing rocks!
    With the help of the Alumiglass pole, I can jack the dipole up over the roof of the apartment and then ease it down and hide it under the eaves when I'm done.
    If anyone wants pictures, drop me a line.
    Regards - Jim K9IDX

4. K0XU

K0XU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The adapter is sold by the Lakeview company for their ham stick line:

www.hamstick.com

Jim, K0XU

5. W8OKN

W8OKN Ham Member QRZ Page

Much has been said on this thread.  

Food for thought...  I once read an article about 20 years ago that said this,  "The more wire in the sky, the better."  That's true to a point.  I am sure that the smaller whips work.  I've used them.  I also know that my dipole works better.  It's simple math.  

This is a great thread, though.  These discussions are fantastic for learning about this great hobby.

6. W8CBS

W8CBS Ham Member QRZ Page

Just one question...........are the hamsticks fed with
    50 or 75 ohm coax??????Interesting either way!

7. VU3SNM

VU3SNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi folks,
    Someone asked for a website which gives details on constructing a portable HF antenna.
    Go to
    www.qsl.net/w3ff
    Budd has designed this multiband pedestrain mobile antenna that can be used by a walking station or even by travellers like me!
    [​IMG] Its a terrific antenna that can do wonders. I have one and I have used it while travelling.The site gives you info on how to go about. Budd sells them also..for around USD 50' ish.
    73'
    Sasi
    9V1SM / VU3SNM

8. KR6DJ

KR6DJ QRZ Member

I reguarly use a 20M hamstick on my balcony with a wire counterpoise. I've had terrific results and work DX just about every night. I tuned it by trimming the stinger for 14.025 and use a manual tuner to adjust it for the phone portion of the band.

I'm thinking about getting a 40M hamstick for use in the CW portion of the band. If anyone has done that with good (or bad) results please let me know.

Ken

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I made a 75 meter hamstick dipole. Best radiating dummy load I ever saw. The vertical work SSO much better.

BB, K5HDG

10. W0IFL

W0IFL Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll be using a 20M dipole hamstick up about 25 feet at the Earth-day special event station KØC from the Missouri State Capital on Friday, April 19 from about 1500 to 2000 UTC. All WX permitting. I'll also be QRP. Look for us around the CW QRP Frequencies. Even though it is a 20M antenna, I have tuned it on several bands.

If we QSO, We will QSL with a certificate.

RonE.
    WØIFL

11. KD5LHG

KD5LHG Ham Member QRZ Page

12. N6AJR

N6AJR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

HRO in oakland Ca has lots of these adapters,and they work ok, mine was a full s unit down from a 5 band vert on 40, but still useable.. tom N6AJR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.