ad: elecraft

Hamshack Corner Desk Plans

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by N1MLF, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
  1. N1MLF

N1MLF Ham Member QRZ Page

Well as gear, puters, tuners, kludge boxes, switches, cable & wire & associated necessities accumulate all over a flat top table I've decided to build a decent corner style desk to "hopefully" conquer the chaos... at least for a time..
    I found these plans & thought it looked quite reasonable.
    I pass them on for comment, use, discussion etc

Hope you find them useful

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks great. The angled cutout in the corner is very important, and for ham and computer use I'd also add:

-A few large (3" diameter or so) holes through the desktop and the upper shelves, towards the rear of each (close to the walls), to bring more cables through so cables don't all have to snake horizontally from the corner along the entire lengths of the console; and

-A few large (2" - 3" diameter) holes through the vertical dividers as well, also for convenience of cabling between pieces of equipment.

A lot of guys build these gorgeous consoles then have no way to run cables.:p
  3. VE3FMC

VE3FMC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That is a great looking desk, something that I could use here.

I agree with Steve in regards to holes for cables. Makes a nice clean route to run all of your coax etc up to the equipment.

Thanks for posting the plans. :)
  4. AB9RN

AB9RN QRZ Member

I wanted the exact same style and was looking to do the same... just before i started... my wife found some nice used task tables at an office furniture store which included a 45 degree corner table. I used the hutches they had on the end tables and built up a custom set of shelves with laminated shelving for the ham stuff...

Otherwise i like what you created!
  5. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't see holes for wires. Another useful thing is a tray on the backside or underside for wites to run. Looks great though! Nice work.
  6. N1MLF

OK... NOT MY DESIGN... Found it on the interweb as I was looking for plans & thought it looked good.
    I have "most" of the materials to give it a go. Need some of the brackets and a bucket of screws.
    Agreed on the cable holes and trays to keep things contained and/or separated for interference issues.
    I just thought it was a cool design to try & wanted folks options and ideas... which seems to be happening..
    If & when this happens.. I'll take a buncha photos for everyone's consumption & comment..
    Tnx for the replies ...73..JW
  7. KB9LXP

KB9LXP Ham Member QRZ Page

make sure you stay 3' from the walls so you can get behind for some cable swaps, cleaning( Ha) and air circulation. Unless you don't have the room than just ignore my suggestions. Happy Building. :)
  8. N1MLF

Mike .. I think that's every ones desire but most shacks usually end up crammed into a corner or against a wall.
    I might look into adding some large casters so I could roll it out a bit for access.
    Another addition that comes to mind is a ground buss that wraps around the rear edges to eliminate several more wiring snarls.. We'll see how it goes..
    Thanx all for the comments & 73..JW
  9. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I like that design it has most of what I would want in an operating desk.
  10. AC2EV

AC2EV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The only thing I would do would be to round over the edges on the front if possible.

and add some holes for cables.
  11. K9ZMD

K9ZMD Subscriber QRZ Page

That design is similar to the "Corner Cockpit" marketed by O'Sulllivan Industries as a computer desk & hutch combo several years ago. I teamed that up with a few of their matching file cabinets to make a very workable operating desk/work surface. As already suggested by others, some holes for cables, as well as a grounding buss on the backside, were a necessity. And yes, it sat away from the wall for easy access, even though the room was the smallest in our house.

Regrettably, that set-up went out the door as we downsized before moving out of SoCal. Glad to see a link to those plans in the OP; bookmarked it already. 73
  12. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

I would want to get around some of the metal braces with cabinet joints like tongue and groove where possible.
    Take your time, don't be in a hurry.
    Measure twice, cut once and all that.:cool:
    Or get some trim for it and use a pin nailer to tack it down.
    Consider staining it when you are done.

Anyway you do it, if you build it...You DA MAN!!:)
  13. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's what the Opus has to say on the matter.

".......If you’re like me, you probably got your start in ham radio in late high school. Actually I didn’t get my license until the summer after graduation, but I was doing a lot of peripheral radio stuff well before then, building crystal radios and simple shortwave receivers and such. I had a pretty fair sized built-in desk in my bedroom, extending about six feet either way from the northwestern corner window. The west wall part of the desk was dedicated to homework and other things I was supposed to be doing, while the north wall part of the desk was dedicated to radios and such. Eventually the radios crept around the corner toward the homework end of the desk until the latter pretty well vanished into non-existence.
    Our suggestion to you is to save time by eliminating the homework part of your desk right at the outset."

Eric the Helpful
  14. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Or IMMEDIATELY fill that section with radio stuff!
  15. N6OSB

N6OSB Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the link!!!
  16. K0WVM

K0WVM Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like you can expand it in the area of where the monitors are at and put a shelving system with support boards overtop those same monitors. Even put a lighting system of your choice too to shine down on the monitors and desktop.

These plans have several possibilities to amend and add on to the original setup. Might use this to build my own desktop and amend the setup to my personal preferences. Great find and thanks for the link!
  17. AC2Q

AC2Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Holy Crap!! That's BEAUTIFUL! The only thing I would change is to use a biscuit joiner for the vertical supports rather than using angle brackets, because it's "prettier" joinery, and since Oak venner plywood is up to $70-80/sheet, probably justified. Then again, I have a biscuit joiner.

Regardless, it looks like a well thought out and sturdy design, go for it!!

Mike AC2Q
  18. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

Wonderful desk! You did a great job. Just remember that it will look great for about two weeks. Example:

Starting out:

After two weeks:

:eek: :) ;) :eek:
    (with a tip of the hat to KJ3N)
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.