Hams should scam bait !! Fight back

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by GJ41CD, Jul 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. GJ41CD

GJ41CD Ham Member QRZ Page

True, but its hard to imagine how one could spend as much scam baiting as one does on amateur radio. I've baited about 10 scammers, and I suspect my total outlay is less than $1 in US terms, and I could certianly have made that zero had I not chosen to gets phone calls recorded. Hence I believe the comments about money by N6PAT are just plain wrong.

Of course N6PAT's comments about time have some element of truth. Scam baiting does take time. But one of the tricks that baiters like to play, is to make their replies as short as possible, but ensure the scammer has to compose a reply, and not cut and paste something he has written before. Sending an email which is 3 words long like "I don't understand" will take you seconds to do, but causes him to have to rewrite something.

I guess I spend a few hours per week scam baiting, but it is something one can spend as little or much time as one wants.

2. N6MEJ

N6MEJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just a thought....seems you are losing your safety margin by posting so many specifics in this thread....be careful.

I spent a bit of time working a scammer in conjunction with QRZ and must say it was gratifying...and as someone else posted, by reading your comments it is clear I am but a neophyte.

3. M3KXZ

M3KXZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Nicholas, I wonder if it might be better to set up a premium rate number for this. Through BT you could set up a 09 number, as a "technical support line" and give that number to the scammer. That way, you can get up to £1/minute :) I know there's an annual registration fee, but as scam baiting is a hobby it might be justifiable!

4. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

Baiting the RBs if fine, but I want these ROTTEN SCUM OF THE EARTH IN JAIL!!!! I want them breaking rocks for the rest of their lives!!!! I want them to KNOW PAIN!!!!!
    They need to PAY FOR THEIR SINS!!!!! MAKE THEM SUFFER!!!!!!!!!!!!

WB0MPB likes this.
  5. M3KXZ

M3KXZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think they should be forced into becoming amateur radio ops, and then made to live somewhere that their signals can't get out :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.