Hams more friendly now than in past?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N8FVJ, May 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

My ham radio operating has been sketchy over the years. Let my license go around 2002 with move to crowded NYC. Long wire antenna was impossible there. I moved back to MI and reactivated my license a few years ago.

I remember 20 years ago 75 meters was so tight at night you could not find a space to call CQ. Nets like 3898 was fun to listen to back then, but if you tried to cut in they would tell you to 'get the hell out of here'.

Now, you are welcome in the nightly 75 meter nets. The hams are friendly and especially so if you are 'armchair' signal strength.

2. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I grant you +2 forum points for this post. Let's see how this one compares to your still-going-strong 'amplifier' post :) I sense forum troll experience in your past ...

As for being friendlier? Um, I dunno... I think society in general is 'meaner' and out hobby is a microcosm that tracks along with the whole population.

K3EY, WQ4G, KA4DPO and 1 other person like this.
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Assuming you are actually interested in this subject and not merely after a 20 page dust-up. :p

I don't know there's much difference in 75 now as compared to 20 years ago. Or 30 or 40. There've always been lids and there have always been FB ops on 75.

4. N8FVJ

Please. I am not a troll. I just liking talking ham radio. Some have disagreed with my posts on one other ham site about technical info. The worst offender (acting like a troll) got kicked off the site and was well known. What does that tell you about me being a troll? I still post on the site.

5. WF4W

i use 'troll' in a good way - the early 2000's definition - I used to be a troll (i still can be) on other forums where the goals was to see how long you could keep a post going or how many nested quotes you could get. . . all in the name of fun :)

6. N8FVJ

Oh, how long keeping a post going can be a troll. Never thought about that. Perhaps my posts are interesting?

7. WF4W

i was giving you a compliment. never mind.

8. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know if hams are friendlier now than in the past. I'm just back from Dayton/Xenia. I met some wonderful people there, of the kind I would love to stay in touch with, and see again as often as possible. But the opposite was also true, all in only 4 days.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    WF4W likes this.
  9. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hams are like all other people. They come in many forms and attitudes. Are there nice hams? Absolutely. Are there jerks who fully intend in making the world their wound? Absolutely.

Nets generally encourage participation. That's how you keep nets alive. There are good ol' boy nets too, that is just a group of friends and sometimes they aren't interested in interruptions of hams they do not know.

10. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Can't say. I don't run into many nets on CW.
    Mike N3PM