ad: QSLWorks-1

Ham's in the News: Ham Radio in Disaster Preparedness...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD4IEM, Dec 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

It's Jeffrey; not Jeffery.

It's you're; not your.

It's It's; not Its.

Thank you for your time proofreading. I'll get to editing and correcting about half past whenever the fish I feel like it and not a second sooner.

WU8Y likes this.
  2. KD4IEM

KD4IEM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You too. Thanks for your friendly concern.

3. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah ... it's already been said. There is so much communication infrastructure available to so-called "first responders" and the "local emergency communication center" that having a green vest and a name badge and a 2m walkie-talkie is hardly relevant anymore. If you're gonna play, the idea is to be trained, know your role and stick with it. Simply having a ham ticket ain't gonna cut it going forward. There is quite a bit of training required for those who provide communication services in an emergency. Hams are no longer an exception. If you want to help the emergency communication center, the best thing you can do is actually become a part of the group ... the only way to do that is by punching all your training tickets. If you wanna be relevant, you've gotta have the wallpaper.

4. VE2ENN

VE2ENN Ham Member QRZ Page

I see my callsign (VE2ENN) during a PSK31 QSO (@57 seconds) :)

5. W4LLZ

W4LLZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Amazing to me that such a positive news story about Ham Radio Operators some how comes to a pissing match between two Hams about punctuation. Real professional boys and girls. :rolleyes:

KK4NSF, CL7JKB and W5CJA like this.
  6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Easy on the shift key, Plato.

CL7JKB likes this.
  7. CL7JKB

CL7JKB Ham Member QRZ Page

73, Good afternoon, From Cuba. CL7 JKB.;):D

8. CL7JKB

CL7JKB Ham Member QRZ Page

From Camagüey, 73,88. CL7 JKB, dx;)o_O

9. KN4AVP

KN4AVP Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice article, wish he'd shown more on 2M.

10. W4LLZ

W4LLZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah yeah. :rolleyes:

11. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

If we amateurs want to remain relevant in an emergency, the watchword is "training". Without a clear understanding of who is in charge and what they expect of their subordinates, hams won't be very welcome when the time comes to serve. There are already county and district EMAs who say "thanks but no thanks" to "ARES" groups and other independent hams who want to help. The best thing we can arm ourselves with besides our go-box and twinkies .... is training .... things like the ICS courses FEMA offers for free .... the weather spotting courses .... and the list goes on. The better trained we are, the less likely we'll hear "thanks but no thanks" from actual Emergency Managers.