ad: elecraft

Hams hack $110 DMR radio to allow support for D-STAR, P25 and System Fusion

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA3XFT, Jan 21, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. BI4JSW

BI4JSW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello, everyone, I hope to learn from you, I just contact the radio a year. Is learning English, hope in the hamsphere communications with you. Seventy-three

2. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is the problem. It will not be a full featured radio. Enough for simplex or a simple repeater QSO. No picture messaging, no GPS, no APRS, no Wires-x functionality, no reflector or repeater commands for Dstar, no call sign routing. But still a pretty neat idea....

3. N4NJJ

N4NJJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It simply doesn't have the hardware capabilities to handle it. Why do you think the menu shuts off when a transmission is received? It needs all of its "brainpower" to do that.

4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is totally irrelevant for me...I've never met anyone who's used any of those modes.

5. N4NJJ

N4NJJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have used P25, DMR, Dstar, and Fusion. I use P25 and DMR all the time.

6. N5XMV

N5XMV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm just wondering how this stuff called Amateur Radio got started, and has progressed as it has? If those of us who love a challenge, and to experiment had listened to anyone who said it's not possible, it's a dream, or anything else like that, those little bitty Star Trek Communicators some refer to as a cellphone would have never been sized so small. You would likely be toting a backpack loaded with a radio and transmitter with loud clicking relays and tubes so hot, you could sell ppizzas off them. Somewhere, somehow, someone has to have an idea. Somewhere, somehow, someone has to have a challenge. So, just sit back, and wait for the full meal deal to be made avilable, so you can order it online. I'm getting old, and my eye sight is going. I have always loved to tinker, and experiment. I'm closer each day to having to wait for something to be designed and built, rather than getting myself involved with the positive thinking, and aspects to offer up, even a very small idea, or piece of information/data to help make cool things happen. I've gone from a Univac 1050-2 to a smartphone. Tubes and tapes, to circuits so small I now need a magnifying glass, or microscope. One of my best accomplishments, was sitting outside in the country with my Father-in-Law, and showing him the Space Shuttle and ISS linked up together. This is a man who either walked to school or rode a horse. He still asks to watch the ISS from time to time. Dream, then accomplish...l

KG5ZSU likes this.