ad: MLSons-1

HamRadioNow: It Ain't Parity Until WE Say It's Parity

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Aug 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm surprised how when people run out of arguments, they automatically assume that the argument is "just a difference of opinion," and the division of opinion is then automatically 50/50, as if that somehow means everyone is equally right and wrong, and "no harm no foul" will be the automatic result, rendering the cost of "why not give it a try" essentially zero.

The human ability for rationalization at the cost of being rational is astounding. :confused:

AD5KO likes this.
  2. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

This mornings Denver Post states that it has been State Law for all new residential developments to have an HOA for quite some time now...regardless of what the residents desire. I find that very interesting. Of course all the new developments hype the landscaping and snow removal....they don't mention all the other stuff you "acquire".

The same Denver Post has an article about TSA pre-approved passenger lines exceeding the regular passenger lines. TSA pre-approval does more than just do a background check...they track your movements every time you purchase a ticket...no warrant required. So people have been paying a "fee" and giving up rights for the "benefit" of shorter TSA security lines only to find the "pre-approved" lines longer.

There is something sinister about surrendering rights for very little or no benefit.

3. KK5JY

Does that law require that the HOA enact rules restricting antennas?

4. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Does the newspaper say why the legislature enacted this new HOA law?

I think we all know the reasons, however, i guess it's fun to play the conspiracy card. Right up there with 'the mafia shot Kennedy', 'Armstrong never landed on the moon', 'aliens are among us', etc...

Or regarding TSA, do you believe 'big brother' can't track airline travel unless your are fingerprinted?

This has morphed into a rather tenuously reasoned debate about HOA communities rather than one of the efficacy of ARPA which is understandable albeit irrelevant.

5. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

My contribution has not morphed. It has always been the same. The "No Antennas at all" policy is not acceptable.
    Not suggested or implied in my post. You are very good at putting words in others peoples posts.
    Sure....all they require is a warrant.....not required if you are pre-approved.

6. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Seriously?
    You imply Denver enacted legislation for reasons other than assigning infrastructure development costs to those benefiting rather than all taxpayers. "All the other stuff" as you say implies sinister reasons. I didn't imply that - you did. I'm beginning to wonder if you are just making stuff up as you write hoping no one will notice.

A warrant? That's far-fetched. And simply registering with TSA somehow exempts one from due process?

To get back on subject, You still haven't addressed the numerous criticisms of ARPA expressed by subject matter experts except to dismiss their opinions without any rationale. Dismissing the judgments of those most of us consider knowledgeable and then going way off topic doesn't lend any credibility to your perspective.

7. KK5JY

Reality Check: Congress has found far more interesting "preemption bills" to work on while hams continue to debate "parity:"

House panel approves legislation to speed deployment of self-driving cars

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...deployment-of-self-driving-cars-idUSKBN1AC2K0

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - An influential U.S. House committee on Thursday approved a revised bipartisan bill on a 54-0 vote that would speed the deployment of self-driving cars without human controls and bar states from blocking autonomous vehicles. ... The bill would allow automakers to obtain exemptions to deploy up to 25,000 vehicles without meeting existing auto safety standards in the first year, a cap that would rise to 100,000 vehicles annually over three years....
    In the mean time, the idea of "antenna parity" isn't even moving the meter on the committee where ARPA is stalled, and the Senate "hold" on the bill is still firmly in place.

ARRL isn't out of the CC&R game yet, though. They still sell a large number of texts on the subject of designing and installing small, hidden and indoor-friendly HF antennas, including:

So for hams who have CC&R that say "no outdoor antennas," it's time to start building. Swipe the card at ARRL, get your book, and get to it!

8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

...as well as several other options that don't involve defying freely-signed contracts/agreements/promises/whatever. Any/all of them can be implemented RIGHT NOW (no waiting for government). :)

KK5JY likes this.
  9. KA2UVI

KA2UVI Ham Member QRZ Page

10. KM5QS

KM5QS Ham Member QRZ Page

I move to replace antenna parity with antenna partys. Regardless of where you live. You don't even have to pay the Evil ARRL for info that is easily found on the net. In a fraction of the time it takes to navigate the redundant arguments on this thread and the other with the same topic, you can learn from people like Matt, KK5JY, who has an excellent writeup on "invisible antennas on his qrz page. That would seem to be much easier than typing away trying to convince people who are convinced they know what is in peoples minds even when the language in controversy is so badly written that any opinion can arguably be proven. Please, in the interest of peace in our lifetime, let the freaking bill die, and get back to the principles and fun of the Amateur Radio Service. Just my 2 cents, no offense intended to anyone( even if they may deserve it.

73, Jay

W4POT likes this.