ad: portazero-1

HamRadioNow: Florida Repeater... Counsel?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Mar 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

HHRN 312 Florida Repeater POSTER SQUARE 250.jpg
    Bryan Fields W9CR is accusing the Florida Repeater Council of being corrupt and inefficient to the point of inaction. It stems from his attempt to coordinate a 220 MHz band repeater in Tampa Bay, FL. Bryan's account is that the process went from delay to friction to outright hostility.

Bryan has launched a reform group with this web site where he makes his case. He's produced a 15-minute YouTube video that also details the story (which we've condensed into about 3 minutes and inserted at the very end of the show), and now this 90-minute HamRadioNow Episode in which host Gary Pearce KN4AQ grills Bryan mercilessly (OK, he asks a few pointed questions), and David Goldenberg W0DHG supplies the average ham perspective, asking questions that have bedeviled frequency coordinators for decades (where do they get their authority, who do they report to, who's supposed to fix this?).

We've invited the FRC to appear on a future show to respond, and Gary realizes (again) how much we need to do a Repeater Show or two with some of the rich history of ham radio repeaters, a close look at the issues and problems repeater users, owners and coordinators face, and some predictions of the future.

It's another talking-head show, with just a few web sites and a little video, so it earns its Radio Rating of A.

NE1LL and KG4JSZ like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

How can a repeater council be..corrupt?

Where's the money paid? Where's the personal gain?

Counsel--but no lawsuit?

More click-bait....

K3RW likes this.
  3. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

In Indiana, its the good'ol boys that want "clear" channels and don't understand what PL tones are for.

KK3Q, AD0MI, K9PLG and 1 other person like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

That's Squelch, not gain...

;-)

Corruption implies dishonesty for money.

My 2M rigs haven't been used in, oh, 2 years. Too much conflict.

NE1LL likes this.
  5. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I have not been on 2 meters for at least 20 years and don't have a rig, just a scanner.

NE1LL likes this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe I should be a repeater...
    ;-)

7. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

People still use repeaters?

NE1LL likes this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No...they use "counsels"....

;-)

9. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

FloriDUH.

NA4RA, K3RW and W1YW like this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Having been a resident of Ft Lauderdale for many years, the main cultural advantage I saw was a topless donut shop. Below: this man died happy...

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1990-04-10/news/9001020434_1_doughnut-shop-donut-shop-coffee

That and Keese's chicken...guaranteed to turn your dining room into a chicken boneyard! MMMmmmmm! Keese's now is a hummus place. Yechh! (in comparison).

NEBA was cool too. RB place with great burgers! Sounded obscene, but was a great predecessor to 5 Guys Burgers, or In and Out Burger (CA and LV).
    [​IMG]

Gee! That sounds obscene too (but isn't).

The point of these digressions is that Gary KN4AQ should STOP using click-bait, and drooling controversy as a pitch.

MO. Yours may differ.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    KA0HCP, WF9Q and K3RW like this.
  11. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Your don't think there was a lot of controversy in this show?

And if you think this was Click-Bait, you won't believe what happens next.

W4ABC and NY4I like this.
  12. W6MTF

W6MTF Ham Member QRZ Page

1) First off, my recent experience in dealing with Bryan W9CR was over shoddy workmanship he performed on a radio modification for me, as a service. When I received the radio back it was reassembled with the face 180 degrees upside down, being very obvious immediately when I opened the box. When I brought this to Bryan’s attention he said I didn’t recognize good workmanship! I have never been treated so badly. When I indicated I was going to let others know of my experience he said just be sure I spelled his name correctly (I had misspelled it “Brian” in a few emails).

2) In California when a repeater owner wishes to sell a repeater to another individual it is often done with a handshake and under the radar ie. not reported the actual sale to the coordinating body (council). This will avoid losing the existing coordination completely and a reapplication started, all that is required is an application for a change in the call sign (this predicated on no change to the repeater location, ERP or PL etc.

I should be clear here and I’d like to point out I have never been involved with an “under the radar” change of ownership as described above, this is not something I have ever been involved with directly and I am not condoning this type of thig. But such an act did occur with another repeater system that I was involved in an interference complaint with; I didn’t threaten to sue the organization then but I did however attempt legal action (a verbal mention of intent to sue) the No Calif repeater council in the past. At that time it was an un-incorporated club and just the mention of a potential lawsuit led to a meeting with all parties involved and the dispute was resolved peacefully.

Bryan is on dangerous grounds throwing a number of allegations as he did openly but the video presented does show a serious issue however.

I feel if Bryan had worked to change the call sign there would be no massive problem as it is now. But since he is now a member of FRC and seems to know Roberts Rules of Order well, I’d wager he will “put things right” and reorganize the org. GL to all!

73 Reid Brandon W6MTF

K3RW likes this.
  13. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Directly off his linked page he posts:

"The FCC does give preference to coordinated repeaters per 97.205(c)

Where the transmissions of a repeater cause harmful interference to another repeater, the two station licensees are equally and fully responsible for resolving the interference unless the operation of one station is recommended by a frequency coordinator and the operation of the other station is not. In that case, the licensee of the non-coordinated repeater has primary responsibility to resolve the interference.

As such it’s in our best interest to coordinate our systems with the FRC."

--
    I bolded that last part. Ok--he is trying to do the right thing, but I'm lost in the rest of the details. Its Florida--that already says its beyond explanation.

Run it uncoordinated. Move if you are required to, but make them show it is actually causing interference, not that it 'could cause it'.

There's not that much 220 activity anyway. Too bad it came to this. Gave me pause as I was considering a 220 repeater myself!

Solution: do a simplex repeater. A guy north of me did, and I use it on Echolink all the time.

14. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe there should be some regulatory clarification on this one to the benefit of everyone. I see a lot of Seattle-area repeaters for sale on Craigslist here. It would be easy to move the station call and not pursue coordination, but that's sneaky IMO. Moving it out of area increases the likelihood it will be interfering somewhere else.

Of course the FCC doesn't do enforcement anymore, so it wouldn't deter people anyways, and we certainly don't need yet another law.

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Gary,

There are very much situations that head to the machinations of formal complaints. I see no attorneys here and I see no threat.

An injured party has a right to point out legal options to resolve a dispute.

Many hams see themselves as essentially independent of society and its protocols. Pointing out a legal option is a reminder that is not the case.

No, I do not see a controversy here Gary; I see you attempting, IMO, to foment one. I see a dispute.

It gets peoples' attention but so what? What's the point Gary?

Chip
    W1YW