ad: AbAuRe-1

HamRadioNow: Do NOT Call CQ on Repeaters

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Apr 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmmm.....

Call CQ?

:)

1 person likes this.
  2. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

I called CQ on one of the local repeaters primarily just to drum up a response a few years ago, and received a very lighthearted, kind and gracious response from a number of people. I think to a great extent it depends on where you live and if the people in your area are generally happy or not.

KK5R, VE3LDJ, W1YW and 1 other person like this.
  3. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

I've monitored a little here and hear a little activity but not much.

For me it boils down to this - back in the 80s and 90s when I was very active mobile on 2M repeaters, I used them really for two purposes. One was to keep in touch with my friends, most of whom were also hams. And the other was just to have someone to talk to while out and about. Now cell phones fill both of those purposes. There is no technical challenge anymore to VHF/UHF repeaters, and hasn't been that since way before those days in the 80s and 90s.

Getting back into radio now I have my scanner I can listen on some, and did find at least a DC adapter for my old DJ-560 which otherwise seems totally devoid of available battery chargers in the known ham universe, so I can listen some, could even talk on the 560, but can't think of a reason to do so. I'm interested in getting back on HF, getting into some new-to-me digital modes there, and finally doing CW/SSB/AM VHF and UHF where there is still challenge. But I'm not sure I have a reason to even get a VHF/UHF FM rig anymore having long since parted with all but the 560 which was found under a mound of dust.

KK5R likes this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have fond memories of my TR-22 (still in the junk box). It, and its flea-bought cousin, were essential in the early pioneering studies of fractal antennas.

AD5KO and AC7DD like this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I can see where today, it would be a novelty and break the ho hum usually found on repeaters:)

Nice job!

KK5R and AD5KO like this.
  6. AC7DD

AC7DD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If I hear a CQ or a "listening" call, I like to call back. Twice I have failed to respond to a CQ on VHF FM, and I regretted both times. It's really interesting when an out-of-state licensee tells you he is in a local hotel checking out who's here, and it's really rewarding to hand out free advice and hear that the person is glad to know he can program his radio after all.

KM4KWK, W1YW, AD5KO and 1 other person like this.
  7. KC2VWR

KC2VWR Ham Member QRZ Page

To be honest i nicked a line from the movie Gravity (insert your call ) calling in the Bind ,when on quiet repeaters , terrible movie but then I like Sandra Bullock

8. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

W1YW likes this.
  9. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

I was not a fan of DSTAR initially but someone usually comes back to you on DSTAR. I've even heard people call "CQ" on DSTAR...

VE3LDJ likes this.
  10. KM4SII

KM4SII Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess I am very fortunate on 2m because I have never had a bad experience with operators on VHF (HF on the other hand.....:)).

While I was in D.C. I got on one of the local repeaters from the hotel and met up with a really great group of guys who readily welcomed me into their round-table discussion!

On my way home from D.C. I connected up to a few random, mountain-top repeaters and had several enjoyable QSOs! It must be different in other places, but I have never met any rude operators on the repeaters I have been on. They have all been very welcoming to me -- a fairly new, young ham!

73 de KM4SII

KK5R, KM4KWK, AD5KO and 2 others like this.
  11. KM4SII

KM4SII Ham Member QRZ Page

Delete -- duplicate of above

12. KE5PYF

KE5PYF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

agree

13. KM4KWK

KM4KWK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have heard this complaint, argument, observation (whatever you like) too many times. As we all have. And have definitely observed "dead" repeaters. In the area that I call home, there is no shortage of repeaters. There are a few that have seemingly little to no activity. While there are also a few (4 to be exact) that are very active. Two of these four repeaters are so active at certain points in the day that it can be hard to get a call sign in "edge wise". Very friendly and open group of hams as well. So....depends upon the area you happen to reside. As do a lot of things. And by the way...these are not digital.

Very happy I'm not in North Texas.

14. W8SJB

W8SJB Ham Member QRZ Page

I had stepped away from the hobby around 2000 as a Tech Plus when I left for college(and sold my VHF rig) and was an active member of two local amateur clubs before doing so. There were quite a few old timers on there and most were quite willing to ragchew a little, even with a 13-year old kid just getting into the hobby.
    Flash-forward to 2016, and it is a whole different landscape on 2m. While there are quite a few repeaters in my area and along my 60-mile drive to work, there doesn't appear to be too many operators in my area willing to QSO with a new(or in my case, a long-lost) voice, especially one who is clearly using a cheap little Baofeng(I guess the squelch tail and slightly tinny audio are a dead giveaway). I really think that those that shun these radios are missing a perfect opportunity to drum up interest and excitement of ham radio, as long a little common sense and etiquette come along with it.. without these little cheap guys, I probably would have never gotten back into the hobby or gotten my General upgrade(on a side note, it's also pretty appalling to me what's happening on 7.200. FCC really needs to make an effort to find these lids ASAP!).

Just my humble .02,
    Sam, KB8ZZS.

KK5R, W6MJS, AD5KO and 1 other person like this.
  15. KB7AK

KB7AK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have just passed my license after an almost 30 year absence. That 30 years ago, we had one repeater on 2m and 70cm for the entire city of Hamburg in Germany (about 2.5 Million citizens). When I looked up the repeaters in the Portland, Oregon area last night, I stopped counting at 50. And they are all dead silent. Maybe everyone is now on the digital channels. A lot has changed