ad: Sussex-1

HamRadioNow: California Drivin' (or Nightmare?)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Mar 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, engaging in conversation, whether on the radio or with a passenger, can help with long, monotonous drives. And what, exactly, is different between talking to a passenger, and talking on the radio?

At times, driving can command all of your attention; you adjust to the situation - heavy traffic, bad weather, construction zone, emergency vehicle overtaking, etc. And perhaps, for you, where you drive, this is more the norm than not. But this isn't the case in many places, on long interstate drives for example. Listening to music, a book on tape, talking with a passenger or on the radio - can help with the monotony and keep you from "zoning out".

Steve
    KV6O

2. K7XRL

K7XRL Ham Member QRZ Page

When was the last time you saw a law passed that didn't have an exemption for government?

Aren't you aware of the magic mantle of authority that makes government agents instant experts at all manner of activities deemed unsafe for mere mortals like the rest of us. They have "training", you see.

KE4ITL likes this.
  3. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, the same "mantle" that makes them think they are exempt from speeding laws. And some of them will tell you that very thing: "We are 'trained' to drive" HA! The very same situations that cause accidents pop up for us. come up for them, too:(! Sudden situations arise, unforeseen changes in traffic, road conditions that no one can react to quickly enough--not even a cop. Thus, a cop that is speeding for no reason, and no emergency is placing others in the same danger that us "ordinary" drivers would. Yet they do it because 1)they think they are above the law, 2) simply because they can. Whaddy gonna do, pull one over and yell like Gomer Pyle, "CITIZENS AR-REST". CITIZENS AR-REST?"

In the normal course of business, in a real emergency, I have no problem with it. But when I see cops cruising at 85+ in a 70 and they are obviously OFF their state, county, or beat, I have a problem with that!:mad: And I will report that vehicle to, not the police agency themselves, but to the governing authority of said jurisdiction (legislators, county commssioners, or city/county manager). Because of the public backlash and relations damage such does, some areas have internal regulations to deal with unauthorized speeding. and will discipline officers who speed "because ah kin", y'all heah; ah'm th' law, boy an' ah kin do whut ah want to)! If speeding is bad (and it is) then it is bad for everyone. Colliding with another vehicle, whether you are on official business or not, leaves people just as dead, cop or no cop!:( Yer "training" won't help that!:oops:

4. W0DHG

W0DHG Ham Member QRZ Page

Not above the law... Specifically excluded.

5. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Who's "them"? Are you grouping all first responders in here?

If you see a cop cruising at 85+ in a 70 without lights/siren - feel free to report them. They are held to a higher standard BECAUSE they have to enforce that standard. Around here if everyone is driving the speed limit you can be assured it's because there's a cop on the road driving the speed limit, and nobody is passing.

Steve
    KV6O

6. K4KWH

These are specifically the ones I am talking about. For an example, some years ago I was cruising at the posted limit when there was a sheriff's deputy (brown & white) that began to "pace" me. I was in QSO on 10 Meters, and these cops seemed to be interested in what I was doing. (what for:confused:?) When they pulled abreast of me, I could see that these deputies were from some county in INDIANA!:eek: ( was in NC on I-40). Because it was during the time of the "scanner law" controversy, it was easy to surmise that these Indiana deputies, perhaps, didn't like the idea that I had a radio.:confused: Indiana was one of the states that was harassing licensed amateurs over their "scanners". NC has never had such a stupid law.

They gave me the evil eye for awhile as I continued to talk on the radio. I'm sure that if I had been in Indiana, I would've been pulled over for something--ANYTHING. I even WAVED my mike at them with a wink, acknowledging I was aware of 'em. But there was nothing they could do. so they sped up, passed me and went on out of sight. About 10 minutes up the road towards Statesville, NC I began to see blue lights a-WAAAAAY ahead. As I changed lanes (as required for emergency vehicles), I saw it was an NC "black 'n gray" & a trooper talking to the dep'ty dawgs, still sitting in their car. The trooper had pulled them over!:D:D Since he had a clipboard in his hand, I surmised it was not just a "friendly visit" to talk shop!:oops: I got the feeling that if they didn't get a ticket, they were getting a stern talking to! They had been cruising WELL above 70 in order to pass me and go so quickly out of sight.;)

Many times I've seen cops well away from their jurisdiction, even out of state, cruising WAY beyond the limit. Yet if I were doing the very same thing, I'd be sitting on the side of the road about to contribute to the state's coffers! Cop cars bend just as much as mine does in a wreck!:mad:

7. K8BPZ

K8BPZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Its so easy to get off subject, isn't it? (lol) In SAC, we got training in listening and talking on many radios (9 in B-52's, more in various reconnaisance aircraft). We also got training in offensive driving. When working as Emergency Management Coordinator, we also got local training in driving and talking (often simultaneously) on radios as well as listening to that deafening siren (noise is pretty bad inside the vehicle!!!). When we had our Skywarn net activated, our hams paired up in two's - one to drive, one to operate the radio. That kept them pretty much out of trouble (before portable computers). We still let our talking on the radio go (as off-duty hams) if getting into traffic. Even today, when traveling, the only way I drive is with radios off - no matter what they are termed. I only drink water while driving and I usually am aided by my XYL. When she drives, THEN I can use the radios and etc. I think the thought should be for hams is to use one's brains and not be distracted, stay awake or pull over, don't be a problem, be a solution. If we all thought that, we would not need such laws for driving or amateur radio use. Common sense. The world has changed over the years, and living where I do in Texas, one cannot take one's eyes off the road for a second! I use my ears to listen to the motor revs for speed and only glance at the speedometer on occassion. My peripheral vision is still in great shape and use that to look at mirrors. Yet, I seem to keep getting rear-ended at stop lights (while stopped waiting for the light to change). I can't help that.

I am not sure of the solution to the problem here except that, in the beginning of all this pent up anger I see in so many postings (sorry), laws should be written more explicitly. Pardon me if I am out of line. RL

8. K4KWH

If there's "anger", then it should be towards such laws that do nothing to correct a problem. I resent being lumped in with those who DO cause "distracted driving", and that is caused mainly by texting and people who simply cannot let go of their phone and I-pad for one single moment. It is simply a fact that, while anything can be a distraction IF you let it, talking on a radio has an insignificant effect on driving. It is equal to listening to the music/broadcast radio, adjusting the A/C, or changing the mirror position. All these things can be done without taking one's eyes off the road. If traffic gets heavy, I sign OFF and concentrate on driving. If weather worsens, I sign off and concentrate on driving. It involves a factor that can't be "regulated": Personal responsibility to know WHEN driving conditions worsen such that driving becomes difficult, vision is down, traffic is UP. Thankfully, the use of a two way radio is not something that would automatically and absolutely become dangerous--even in light conditions. Texting and cellphones DO have that effect because they involve the person instantaneously and completely in THAT activity to the detriment of driving the vehicle. A mike does not do this, nor does it require looking down to "dial" or see who's calling on a screen.

Cellphones cause "distracted driving". That is an undeniable FACT. And this problem came along with the advent of this device that has literally taken over the minds of far too many people. People are having wrecks, walking into each other and objects, walking into spray fountainso_O:D because they can't take their noses OUT of the stupid phone.

9. K4KWH

Contrary, the smoking gun are many studies showing simplex conversations are only as distracting as music, conversation in the car, etc.

Laws need to catch up with reality. (Quote K6CLS)

So true. We have become conditioned to accepting any and all restrictions on our behaviors even if that behavior is not detrimental. To those who assume that we are unable to make decisions for ourselves, this "herd" mentality--i.e lumping everyone into the same group-it satisfies their need for power and control. It is also true that we as a society have often abdicated our responsibilities which has led to many such restrictions, unfair as they may be for those who are not "guilty". Two way radio users are not "guilty" of said "distracted driving" to any significant degree. Gradually, we have succumbed to dangerous control of our speech, our lives, our freedoms. Like the frog that some say can be cooked simply by placing him in warm water then gradually turning up the heat, our "frog" (or goose) is being "cooked" by legislators who wish to "help" us, protect us. smother us with their version of "good". I vehemently resist such control, spew venomous curses and contempt for such!

I see that cellphones and texting cause problems. They cause wrecks! They cause people to walk into traffic oblivious to danger. They cause users to walk right into a pond or fountain because the cellphone, by its very nature and mode of operation immerses the user in that activity. They could be compared to certain drugs that come to control people; they simply CAN'T put it down. They are apparently an addiction that takes hold of their users and gets people into trouble. A two way radio does-no-such-thing!:rolleyes: They never have.

K7XRL likes this.