ad: CQMM-1

HamRadioNow: An Episode of Random Stuff

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Jul 25, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
  1. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

K0BL and K9PLG like this.
  2. K9PLG

K9PLG Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice Show !! lots of interesting stuff covered :)

3. K4AAQ

Thanks, Paul!

Hey, anyone dropping by here.... I've started a new HamRadioNow Facebook group. It's a place where you can interact with other fans of the show (and me, now and then... whoa, what a time-sink that can be!). And I've got a cute little CONTEST going there. I made a photo collage for the top of my Facebook and YouTube pages with snips from a few HamRadioNow shows. Identify all the primary people (not the folks in the background), the Locations, and the event or activity of each picture. The first to do that in the comments below the contest post on the HamRadioNow Facebook Group (not here on QRZ) wins a HamRadioNow mug from HamShirts.com (our official t-shirt and stuff vendor).

Here's the collage to get you started...

[​IMG]

4. KM9R

KM9R Ham Member QRZ Page

I was just thinking of your not timely editing : ) but awesome work titled "The Last Big Field Day". Although not punctual, as you self declared, well worth the wait even 50 years from now. Not only because of the professional work that went into making this piece but how it captures the essence of our passion. Neat stuff and thanks. Hint: top left snippet.

Other snips are familiar as well but that will spoil the fun.

5. KC9QVE

KC9QVE Ham Member QRZ Page

Gary I will celebrating six years as a ham radio operator in Kokomo,Indiana this October. Your you tube videos are my utmost favorite to watch at length because I find them to be informative,educational and done in a professional and excellent manner. I wanted to ask you if you ever worked in broadcast radio or television because you have a very quality sounding FM voice.
    I work a weekend shift on a 50,000 watt flamethrower country radio station in down town Kokomo from 5AM to 9AM EDT. The frequency is 100.5 FM and the call letters are WWKI. Our regular broadcast signal covers roughly 13 counties in the hoosier state. I live in Mike Corey's home town the ARRL Emergency Preparedness Manager. God Bless You and your family keep up the great work with the videos. 73's Tony Ridlen KC9QVE Kokomo,Indiana

6. K4AAQ

Thanks, Tony! Episode 213 just finished uploading to YouTube, so you've got another one to enjoy.

I've been in and out of radio (but mostly out) since 1969, when K9DKW got me a job at "The Voice of Cherryland, WDOR AM and FM" in Sturgeon Bay, WI. More of a matchstick than a flamethower, WDOR was a 1kW daytimer AM, and 3kW FM (and that was before FM was even in most car radios). I was terrible and I have the tapes to prove it. That gig lasted about 6 months, and my choice became college or Viet Nam. My dad, a WWII Army Captain and capital R Republican, made that choice for me and packed me off to school. My string of call signs after that are WPRC (Lincoln, IL), KNUS (Dallas, TX), and KFWJ/KBBC (Lake Havasu, AZ).

But most of my career has been editing video. W9AUM got me a job running audio at a "boutique" TV production company in Chicago, where I learned the very new art and technology of video editing (it's come a long way). These days, my video is mostly for HamRadioNow, and my freelance work takes me back to audio, recording and mixing sound for commercials and web programs. I do get a bit of 'voice-talent' work, with the most famous being this:

While I have no regrets, I do sort of wish I'd pursued radio a bit harder. It was my first love (ham and broadcast). I might have gotten good at it! So if that's your love, too, keep at it... with the understanding that the business is changing, and that blowtorch transmitter is no 'match' for a 100 milliwatt WiFi signal.

73, Gary KN4AQ