ad: M2Ant-1

HamRadioNow 345: Appliance Boy meets Circuit Girl

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Sep 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. M0SAZ

M0SAZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am into retro computing as well as ham radio and have spoken to Jeri a number of times online (I go by the nick A1200 on all the major Amiga forums). She's a good egg and has a good level on interacting with the hobbyists without encouraging weirdos who think they may have a shot because she's a "geek like us".

Those who don't know of her electronics prowess may think of her as some poster girl for females in ham radio / computing / electronics. If you watch her videos, have engaged with her in chat or in real life (I have not had the pleasure of the latter), she is WAY beyond most ham's level in terms of ability in electronics.

Jeri I miss the Fatman & Circuit Girl chat / streaming stuff. Good times. Still running an Amiga in my shack (pic on my QRZ page) - an incredible platform which may have been mainstream today if it wasn't for Commodore mismanagement.

2. KK6QMS

KK6QMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Jeri- repeaters are def hit or miss but they are indeed something to explore IMO. Some systems are used very little but can be surprising in their scope and coverage. I finally got a 220MHz radio from the 80s (super cool and was given to me by a ham I was chatting with on ip packet in another state! BPQ system). I found the CA Edison linked 220 system and used it a lot while camping in the desert this past April. Middle of nowhere- talking to Los Angeles, Bishop, and beyond. Super cool. The Condor 220 system is another one- really cool but under-utilized. Los Angeles is a repeater mecca so I know I am in rarefied air here- but there might be something in your area. I know there is packet on 145.050MHz not too far from you.
    I help the DARN system which is all analog ~25 linked repeaters which cover San Luis Obispo to MEX and inland to Mojave. I have learned and volunteered and now climb towers and see stuff I would never have otherwise. I will be at Mt Wilson this week and our repeater is inside same building as a TV station. Wave guides, high power transmitters, vintage remnants and fun scrap yard I love to wander- all kinds of cool stuff!
    darn.org
    w6sce.org
    condor-connection.org
    73-
    Clifford

PS- I will say however- this interviewer gets tedious for me after an hour still making stupid "women in tech" jokes. Just move on to interviewing these 2 PEOPLE. The woman just told you she rebuilt her entire house incl wiring and he makes a joke "not just macrame'" har har. UGH. Lame.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  3. AA9NN

AA9NN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Its all good, shooting with a loose script....... its all good. keep shooting

4. N0GB

N0GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yea right? nice to work you on FT8 a few weeks ago. Glad your OTA Jeri. Digi is lots of fun. Screw the Alpha Hotels making BS comments. See you on the Air. 73