Hammarlund hq 170 question

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KB4MNG, May 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

2. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I forgot about the Marauder, at some point I did sell the Apache and SB-10 and replaced them with a Marauder. I can't remember and I sold the whole setup having only using the Marauder a short time for the Drake Line. If I recall the Marauder was basically a Apache with the SB-10 built in, is that correct? The dial was black and nicer and it had chrome knobs as I recall.

3. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No.

The Marauder is a filter type transmitter. It generates USB at approximately 5 MHz, which is then heterodyned three times (on all bands except 80, where it is heterodyned twice) to get to the operating frequency. On AM, in the Marauder, the final operates as a linear amplifier - it is not plate modulated.

Almost a completely different design from the Apache.

4. WA8UEG

OK, thanks. I only used mine for a few months and it was about 45 years ago! I remember the TX-1 very well as I used it for several years.

5. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

I built two pieces of equipment from Heathkit. They are the Apache and SB-10 which after roughly 59 years, still work quite well and are on the air regularity.

W7UUU likes this.
  6. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The Marauder and the HX-20 mobile SSB transmitter use the same basic filter scheme. Of course, the HX-20 only has a single 6146 in the final amplifier stage and requires a separate power supply. Also, no AM at all in the HX-20.

I have an HX-20 as well as the HX-10 Marauder. Occasionally, I do use my HR-20 / HX-20 combination on the air. But, I do cheat and usually use my SB-200 to give the HX-20 a little boost!

Glen, K9STH

7. WA8UEG

Don't feel bad I sometimes use my AL-1200 with my Harvey Wells TBS50!

8. WA8UEG

I have you beat. I built the DX60, Apache, Mohawk, the phone patch and both the HF & VHF SWR/Wattmeter. I also built my Knight kit Span Master very early on as SWL WPE8HSM

I also built the Conar twins for a classmate that got his novice. I think that’s it on actual kits, I home brewed a number of QRP transmitters, keyers, field strength meters, antenna tuners etc. I currently rebuild/restore I haven’t built anything other than lots of antennas in 25 or more years.

9. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hammarlund made some pretty impressive receivers in the day.

My first was an HQ-180A, and after rehabing and using the radio for a few weeks, I was impressed with it's performance. Althiough I do a bit of 10 meter AM, I do very little CW or sideband so I didn't really notice any significant drift problems.

I have collected a few EXAMPLES over the last few years.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  10. WA8UEG

Nice collection!!