ad: Schulman-1

HamFeed - the New Ham Repeater on Twitter

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N7ICE, Dec 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AA4ZR

AA4ZR Ham Member QRZ Page

So if you don't use the internet, why are you posting here??

Such negative waves, man.....:confused: it's no wonder ur confused

Also, to each is own, but if someone doesn't reach out to the individuals that
    use things like Twitter, eventually, there will be no more hams... The younger
    generation, Twitters, texts, and such.. Any exposure to ham radio, may bring
    in new hams.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  2. W5RUA

W5RUA Ham Member QRZ Page

The sad truth is that RF doesn't linger like tweets and posts.:eek:

3. W5RUA

W5RUA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to agree. The "just use your radio" mantra is a guaranteed path to extinction. :(

4. N1WBV

N1WBV Ham Member QRZ Page

Also valid tweets:
    "Listening to SSTV on 14.230"
    "West Mountain Radio is having a sale for Christmas"
    "Just got my VX-8R"
    "What do people think about the Elecraft K3?"

Yes, there is a share of "Feeding my cat" posts. However, if someone is tweeting stuff you don't want to see there is nothing making you follow them. You can limit the people you are following to people who share your interests.

There are many morons out there that every fifteen minutes saying something into their radios with nothing more to tell someone their status. I guess that there are lives devoid of meaning or interest everywhere. :p

5. K2WH

K2WH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

OK, I'm all ears. First tell us how ham radio survived without twitter since I hear it is a relatively new method of sending msgs to whoever and 2nd, how does twitter help ham radio survive today? Somehow I and others here, do not see the connection (no pun intended) between the two.

I did not say I don't use the internet, I others stated Twitter is the latest useless web thing which some say is a good thing for ham radio. After all, to respond to this Twitter nonsense, respondents such as myself must be on the internet.

And to some of the other wondering why hams like me who criticize the use of the internet as an alternate means of communication; use it at the same time to complain about it seems hypocritical at best. Yes it does seem hypocritical but, its called propagation and it changes so when the bands die out, there will be increased traffic on sites like QRZ. When propagation comes back real hams will move the keyboard out of the way and pick up the mic or key. The internet for real hams is simply a diversion to idle the time away, not an alternate life nor is it a replacement for the hobby.

I wonder how long it will be before Twitter will be called another or new "Mode" for ham radio just like EchoLink was/is. With all the new radios on the market, I still can't find "Echolink" on the mode switch.

K2WH

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  6. W8LGZ

W8LGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Re: 73 vs 73s

No offense taken.

Maybe I'm just too picky but, I can't understand how something that means "Best Regards" can be changed to "Best Regardses" and folks are okay with it. Yes, even Hiram. If one goes back far enough, they will find that the original term was indeed "73" which meant "Best Regards" (In it's final incarnation). It was also primarily used on CW and, over time, began to be used in amateur voice communications. There are many references to this fact on the web, here is only one: http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/history.html#73

As I said before, 73s is just bad grammar. Anyway, I guess we can agree to disagree. :)

Jim - W8LGZ

7. N1WBV

N1WBV Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham Radio can and will survive without Twitter. Twitter can and will survive without Ham Radio. No one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to use Twitter, much the same way no one is forcing you to use the 'Zed or play radio.

Twitter helps Ham Radio by providing another method for Internet-based communication among Hams. It also helps us communicate the hobby to non-Hams. Almost every day I come across someone who is thinking about getting into the hobby or someone who has questions about the hobby. I always offer to answer questions or help. I congratulate people who just pass their tests and keep the seed planted among people who are studying. There are other who do the sames. Does this help the hobby? No way to be sure, but I'd like to think that offering friendly voices for the hobby is helping even at some tiny level.

Whoops, sorry, that beeping noise was my arrogance meter going off. Must have been that "real hams" comment. Real Hams realize that the Internet is just another way to communicate. Propagation shouldn't decrease or increase your involvement with the hobby or the Internet. Viewpoints like that are just silly, IMNSHO.

I don't see anyone here suggesting that Twitter should be a "new mode" or is a replacement for Ham Radio. The same way no one is suggesting Internet forums or LISTSERVs are a new mode. Personally, I don't even think IRLP/Echolink is a mode. (Do people say that, really?)

8. W6ONV

W6ONV Ham Member QRZ Page

Personally I cannot get any of these online, social networking sites and I grew up with the Internet, regardless if they are ham radio related or not. While I won't fling poo in the direction of those who "tweet" or Facebook or MySpace or whatever else they do, I will continue to present information about ham radio and other non related issues from my site, which seems a bit more personal to me than joining some networking site for friends.

9. K2WH

Yes they do. Many times I have heard Echolink referred to as a "Mode".

K2WH

10. W6ONV

W6ONV Ham Member QRZ Page

Based on eQSL, if you follow along at home, they refer to it as "Special Propagation" in the Comments section.

11. K2WH

Ya know I just went to the link hamfeed dot com and it seems perfectly normal people posting perfectly stupid BS. One guy says he going to work, the other is singing happy birthday 09 and another saying H1 and H2 are closed and then another comment about demolishing his wifes closet.

What all that has to do with ham radio beats me. But, I was just on 14.198 USB and worked Hawaii. I like that better.

K2WH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.