ad: chuckmartin

HamFeed - the New Ham Repeater on Twitter

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N7ICE, Dec 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Bravo. I asked the same question that this sounds like that Facebook stuff but only for hams who want to have a running real-time diary of their lives made public. Never got an answer to the question. But if you look up ICE, he is a tech licensee and his Bio reads that he made this Twitter website which he speaks of here. Any radio accomplishements (if any) are not mentioned.

Bill
    K2WH

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  2. K2WH

This comment by KG4JBJ says it all. Maria; why did you bother getting a license if you enjoy Twitter more than radio?

K2WH

3. KG4JBJ

KG4JBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

... he posts, on the internet.

Because I have a life, and people in my life, that is not all ham radio, all the time, maybe?

I don't recall saying that I enjoy Twitter more than ham radio. I also notice that of all the people who responded to the OP, that you are well ahead of anyone else in terms of how often you post to QRZ.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. Luckily, the groups and people I hang out with don't share your sentiment. Why, I even discovered a ham who collects boatanchors on a bike trail engaged in the non-ham activity of biking! Horrors!! I've also encountered them dining, commuting, and shopping.

Also, I'm not sure what license class has to do with anything. I've known Technicians who have contributed much to the hobby. This whole judging-people-by-upgrade-history is lame, and is the sort of mindset that drives people away from the hobby.

73, Maria, KG4JBJ

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  4. AB9RF

AB9RF Ham Member QRZ Page

Obviously, so she could be insulted by old men who can't imagine that someone might have a different set of interests and priority than they do.

5. K2WH

Thank you, at least we agree on that. Tweet on!

K2WH

6. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Twitter is just a internet version of Packet Beacon Text message.

Remember you could have one line for your beacon on your TNC and anyone who was tuned to that freq could see the beacon text?

That's twitter.

7. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How come...

... nobody is ragging on Chris about using 73s ... instead of 73 ?

Surely ONE of you guyses must have noticed that?

Best Regardses and Happy Holidayses to all y'all!

8. K2WH

Yup, you are correct.

K2WH

9. W8LGZ

W8LGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

73 not 73s

Ok, I'll bite. I saw it but was going to let it pass.

The correct term is, 73. 73 means, Best Regards. 73s means, Best Regardses. Not only is 73s wrong "radio speak", it's wrong grammatically. I know, there are those who will argue the point, but the fact is, 73s is wrong. Period. When you're speaking to someone face-to-face would you say, "Best Regardses?" No, you would say, "Best Regards." So, why are there those who insist on saying 73s???? Beats me. Oh, by the way, "Best 73s" (Best Best Regardses) is also wrong.

73, Jim - W8LGZ

10. KD0BIK

KD0BIK Ham Member QRZ Page

I use the term 73 as this was the way I was taught. However, it looks like the use of 73s dates back a long ways. http://www.mikezulu.com/73s.htm

Jerry

11. N4CQR

N4CQR Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting find - Was 1AW a Lid?

(Not directed to you, Jim, just an FYI for all)

If you will do a little web surfing you will find several 1AW QSL cards with, yep, you gussed it, 73's right smack on the bottom of the card.

Some one here posted a link to some old QSL cards but I can't find it at the moment but it did infact include 1AW's card.

Either 73s is acceptable or Hiram Percy Maxim was a lid

12. W7KI

W7KI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hiram ran WinLink ? nah.....

13. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll stick with radio... Thank you.

14. AE1PT

AE1PT Ham Member QRZ Page

I am happy. I am sad, I farted. My dog threw up. All of these are valid tweets. There are many morons out there that every fifteen minutes are texting something into their phones to tell someone their status. Then they have their Facebook account to keep up as well with that status. Some eclients even give GPS locations to tell where all of this is happening. Sort of like APRS. I guess that there are lives devoid of meaning or interest everywhere.

The ones I really like are those that are creating a hazard in traffic while texting something mindless. Now, RSS is not bad--but that is a way to get articles and information of interest. Not broadcast that your butt itches...

15. WM4B

WM4B Guest

I just wish it was called something besides "73s.org". I know I'm just picking nits, but (as a bit of an OT) "73s" is improper. (Yeah, I know that 73.org was already taken.) It's just one of my pet-peeves!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.