ad: ProAudio-1

HamFeed - the New Ham Repeater on Twitter

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N7ICE, Dec 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N7ICE

N7ICE Ham Member QRZ Page

HamFeed.com was released several months ago as a Ham Radio newsfeed aggregator covering cool ham-related news and blog posts including: 73s.org, SolderSmoke, and RadioSport and many others.

Lately there has been an influx of Hams signing up on Twitter.com for back-channel QSOs online for the purpose of coordinating radio QSOs, discussing DX events, and trading ham tips and links. The problem with Twitter is that when you create an account, there isn't an easy way to find where the hams are hiding in the Twitterverse. HamFeed.com was created to introduce you to all of the Hams on Twitter! You can now watch Ham tweets in realtime on HamFeed's home page or with the click of a link on HamFeed you can follow *all* of the hams on Twitter and instantly join in on the fun and ham conversations worldwide!

HamFeed.com is the latest creation of @chrismatthieu, the founder of the new 73s.org, social network for ham radio operators.

73s,
    Chris Matthieu ~ N7ICE
    http://73s.org/n7ice

2. K2WH

K2WH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I must be getting too old. What the hell is a twitter, Back-channel QSO's, Tweets etc. and why would I want to abandon radio for the internet? You are also murdering and slandering the true meaning of the word "Repeater" in ham radio jargon. Call it what it is - another useless internet site.

In addressing these questions, please use common ordinary words us old timers can understand. Tweeting was farting if I recall.

K2WH

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  3. K2WH

After doing a little background check on this twitter thingy, is this like a ham radio related "Facebook" where people tell everyone what they are doing all the time?

Who needs it if it is?

K2WH

4. W2FCP

W2FCP Ham Member QRZ Page

I just registered on Twitter and am going to try it out.

5. AE8K

AE8K Ham Member QRZ Page

This explains why I've got several new ham followers on twitter today :)

73 de Joseph Durnal NE3R

6. N1WBV

N1WBV Ham Member QRZ Page

From Wikipedia: "Twitter is a free social networking and micro-blogging service that allows its users to send and read other users' updates (otherwise known as tweets), which are text-based posts of up to 140 characters in length."

Simply put, it's a cross between a web page, a chat room, and a forum. You "follow", or subscribe to, people whose "tweets", or messages, show up on your twitter homepage. You can post your own messages, respond to other users messages, or just sit there and read.

Twitter, in its original concept, was used to post "What I am doing"-style messages (ie "Listening to 20 Meters") but it's morphed into a bit of a discussion forum with people talking amongst themselves. I use it to follow people who share one of my two major interests, namely Information Security and Ham Radio. I've used it to meet some great Hams who I would have likely never run into otherwise. We use it to discuss the hobby, talk tech, and introduce Ham Radio to the non-Ham-Radio-using Twitter Folk.

I run a site called HamTwits which keeps an opt-in list of Hams on Twitter. If you want to see what the messages on Twitter is like and have an RSS reader, check out the HamTwits RSS Feed.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, I'll keep an eye on this thread, or you can find me on twitter as Innismir.

7. WB9JFR/SK2022

WB9JFR/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

i rather talk on my radio

more useless web stuff
    If you are a ham use your radio

jerry
    wb9jfr

8. KG4JBJ

KG4JBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I like Twitter a lot. Gives me a reach that the indoor 2-meter and HF antennas don't, even though little of what I say relates to ham radio. :)

73, Maria, KG4JBJ

9. N1WBV

N1WBV Ham Member QRZ Page

Says the posting on QRZ... :confused:

10. N5FOG

N5FOG Ham Member QRZ Page

He got ya there Jerry. Thats one thing I never understood is hams complaining about all the ham websites BUT are doing their complaining on the very thing they just berated.

FOG

11. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

Twitter is meant to be used through your mobile phones text messaging. When you send a text to your twitter profile, basically anyone who is subscribed as your follower will receive your "tweets" / text messages as well.

Think of twitter as a reflector (like email reflector) it's basically a way to send broadcast text messages.

Hamfeed is basically an RSS / syndicated feed of ham related text messages and blog updates.

That's the best I can further explain it for anyone else scratching their head.

To bad we cant use radio to create our own intranet / web. To bad we can't send text messages via our HT's... hmmm

http://www.qsl.net/kb9mwr/projects/wireless/amprnet.html

There have been a lot of good ideas in ham radio to help it evolve. With the explosion of the internet, perhaps we should have been more open minded with that one.

12. K5PO

K5PO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

General Note: a "tweet" is the term for a posting through the Twitter service. It is a text-only message 140 characters or less. Hyperlinks can be included.

This is one way to use it. You can also turn off text messaging entirely or not even involve your phone.

It can also be viewed as a web page that lists each user's tweets in chronological order. It is referred to as a timeline.

Twitter also allows various third party applications to access their "tweets". This allows you to use the Twitter service and display tweets in a variety of ways depending on your needs and choice of Twitter clients.

13. K2WH

Having read all of the above, I still do not understand what so-called tweeting serves. I don't have an "RSS" (another unknown acronym) and don't have a cell phone either (although 20 years ago I should have bought stock in those companies). I guess that makes me an old moron but, it seems it also must make me a true to life Ham Radio Operator, more interested in Ham Radio than then the internet.

Anyway tweet away. I believe however from what I read above; I think the following would be a tweet if I was on that thing. "I'm going to take a crap now but I'll be back shortly, its 13:15 UTC". Do I have any followers? If so, I'll see you on 20 meters 14.200 USB at 18:00 UTC. If you know how to figure out UTC.

K2WH

14. W5HO

W5HO Ham Member QRZ Page

I Agree with Jerry

I agree with Jerry WB9JFR, "more useless web stuff
    If you are a ham use your radio" If ham's would use the radio more, there would be alot more QSO's.
    Larry
    W5HO

15. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

twiddle

This sounds a bit like 'facebook'; I had a look at that one once. Does one have to be some kind of moron to want to post his info on a web site? Or worse, to want to read someone else's daily information? God knows, I don't want to read about your life.

This kind of thing is truly for those in need of some psychotherapy. Or a life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.