Ham using paypal to get refund when he damages purchases

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by VK3FMAA, Feb 16, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Amy chance you can share how you know it was dropped by the receiver?

2. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Neither buyer or seller have responded to our comments and questions nor has either one provided any evidence or proofs to substantiate their allegations. This transaction occurred in Australia and was probably just a deal gone bad where both parties contributed to the mess. Moderators, is it time to close this thread?

3. W8NIC

W8NIC Ham Member QRZ Page

"VK4PX purchased radio upon receiving, Dropped the radio damaged radio sent it back told paypal it was damaged when received . sent it back without paypal authority told them it was damaged by post after investigation it was damaged after delivery paypal then granted him a refund as they side with the buyer
    when the radio was inspected after return result of tech check radio was severely damaged and is a write off.

Be aware of this operator"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you think that's bad? I sold a dual band radio (like new) to a new ham in FL. upon receiving the radio he claims it didn't work(i used this radio for approx. 6 months and worked perfect), filed a return claim with paypal, got his money back and I never received the radio back. I contacted paypal and was told the buyer showed proof that it was shipped back. well? IT WASN'T!!!!!!
    I was out $275.00

So never again will I accept paypal as payment!!!

4. NK7Z

I have used Paypal for decades, and never had the issues you folks are having... I wonder why? I have sold hundreds of items...

WB0MPB likes this.
  5. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have used PayPal since it began in 1998 and never been cheated either. It has saved me a few times from buyers trying to take me. PayPal must like me cause they always side with me. A lot of it is I word my ads very carefully and that has been my saviour. I write it like a lawyer would. My ads are very long. I just show PayPal my ad then I win. It has worked for me.
    John, WB0MPB

6. NK7Z

Paypal likes you because you probably have clear and concise ads that don't promise the world, and actually describe the equipment as it is...

7. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Lots of truth to that statement. Thanks for comment.
    John, WB0MPB

8. K3LI

K3LI Ham Member QRZ Page

umm if the radio is rec in a damaged condition, isnt that a freight claim for shipping damage? Or did you the shipper not insure the radio?

I am involved on a radio I purchased from Dave Phillips, N1OHN. The radio arrived broken due to what appears to surely be shipping damage. I merely contacted Dave, sent him some pictures of the radio, packaging and box. Dave
    immediately jumped on the situation and filed a claim with FedEx to get my funds back to me. A truly first class ham.

Why should this escalate to a paypal claim and a smear campaign against Dave? Shipping damage happens. I too looked at the picture of the alleged shyster's shack and I think he is the type of guy
    that takes excellent care of his equipment and would not do such a thing. Looks to me like the kind of guy that if he dropped it, would toss it up on the bench and repair it and never say a thing.

9. VK4PX

VK4PX Ham Member QRZ Page

Well,it seems you have all been taken in by our friend who wrote a complete load off rubbish re selling me his Ic7000.
    As there appears to be so much interest in this dispute,I'll write what really happened.
    Our friend advertised his Icom on Vk ham,a local ham web site.It was advertised as 18 old,and a receipt of purchase would be included in the sale,I paid 1130 dollars for this, around the price for a MINT CONDITION IC 7000 here in AUST.
    The radio turns up, packed very well with heaps of bubble wrap, when i put the parcel on my bench, and unwrapped it , a broken volume/rf gain control knob fell onto the bench, it was obviously broken, as i repair radios and have for over 50 years, i took my loop and had a good look at the break, the metal wasn't clean ,shiny, as one would expect from a freshly broken piece of brass, and looked as if it had been broken for quiet some time, i continued to open the package, and couldn't believe what i was seeing.
    The radio looked around 6 to 7 years old, the ancillary bits were dirty and looked like crap,i wasn't game to touch them, and didn't, this radio was just a heap of rubbish, if i wanted a 7 year old radio in this condition, i would have bought one from a HAM FEST.
    Ok, this is going back to this guy straight away, i put the thing straight back in the box, i wouldn't have been on my bench 10 minutes, i never even bothered to plug the dirty looking 12 volt lead into it, i was really pissed off.The next morning at 9.00 i was at the post office,paid the postage fee ,got a tracking number and a receipt, sent our friend an e mail telling him i would like a refund please. I got a rather rude reply, telling me its not returnable , take it to the post office for a claim, bla bla bla,and Pay PAL WASNT GOING TO WEAR ME RETURNING THIS TO HIM, i wasn't aware of this, but it never seemed to make any difference to them, the post office never damaged this radio,ide say it never worked before it was sent, but the best part is yet to come. A few days after i posted the radio back, i received an e mail telling me he never received the radio back, it wasn't delivered to him , and was in the dead letter office, can you believe this,at this stage i hadn't contacted pay pal,and was wondering how i stood, and was a bit concerned getting my 1130 dollars back, our friend states the radio arrived back damaged, had been dropped on the ground, and was told it would never work again, i wonder how he came to these conclusions when he never received it???.If this isn't a scam i don't know what is, draw your own conclusions.
    Pay pal is the greatest thing out for protection from people like this character, i never explained any thing to them, just lodged a claim, but i have had a lot of business with them, how they knew this was a scam i don't know,people tell me i should be careful what i buy, well, you can only go on what some one tells you, i thought i was buying an as new radio, not a piece of junk, i hope people don't regard me as a scam artist after reading this explanation, i wasn't going to bother , but as there was so much interest in the story , i felt obliged to reply to the rather hurtful story our friend wrote about me . Brian. VK4 PX.

NK7Z and WB0MPB like this.
  10. NK7Z

Thank you for sharing your information...