ad: Alphaant-1

Ham Talk Live! Episode 99 - Receiver Comparisons with the IC-7610 with Rob Sherwood, NC0B

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Jan 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

FB = Facebook?

K3SZ and W4IOA like this.
  2. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I reached out to Icom, and the one I spoke with didn't have the answer right away. But he strongly encourages you to give their tech support number a phone call, and they can answer that. He did mention there were indeed changes made.

3. WB9VPG

Fine business!

N9DOK and W4LJ like this.
  4. W8DU

W8DU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Missed the broadcast. Is it available to listen to now?
    Tnx de Arnie W8DU

5. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

It is on podcast. If you go to the page, there are a number of places where it is available. Sadly I missed it myself and am going the same route. I did a search in my podcasting app for Ham Talk Live and it was easy to find, but you can also listen on the webpage given in the original post if podcasting isn't your thing.

6. KD9VV

KD9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

Listened to the show this morning.

7610; nice rig.
    Is it $3,900 nice? Depends.
    If one is on a ham radio budget; not worth it. No budget, deep pockets? Sure, in that case it's the only rig for you. ;)

Facts, figures, specs approaching theoretical limits may be nice as design goals to shoot for, but I've always believed this becomes a game of diminishing returns.
    (i.e) Copy vs no copy. Contact vs no contact.

I'm not Bill Gates, so my radio purchases follow a simple philosophy, "Buy the best (I) can afford.

This is not (professional) radio, it's called (amateur radio) well; I'm not paid to enjoy this hobby.

Reviews, while fun to read are moot if one has no intention of forking over $3,900.
    For those who have the financial ability to buy a 7610 and can easily justify the price; go for it..I would!

Even (IF) I spent the money for such a rig; what then?..Put up a dipole at 20 feet?
    That would be like buying a Ferrari and installing re-treads for tires.

W4FBI and KI7HSB like this.
  7. NI4Y

NI4Y Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

FLEX is saying it is going to be as good or better than their current 6700. My choice was to wait for the 6600m to come out. I was #2 on the HRO list with a deposit, but with Icom charging for remote software and the $350 second VFO knob. I decided the flex 6600m was about the same price. If the RX turns out to be better well I guess I’ll consider that...,,,

AJ6AZ likes this.
  8. NI4Y

NI4Y Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

FYI It exists, but is in final software beta.

9. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought it meant FootBall?:rolleyes:

10. N4JQQ

N4JQQ Ham Member QRZ Page

No, what it really means is I have never ragchewed on CW.

W4NNF and WB9VPG like this.
  11. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Noooo. No they are not moot. Such reviews increase your knowledge about radios and manufacturers that you would not be exposed to otherwise. This hobby is founded on learning. That is never moot.

12. KD9VV

KD9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

I suppose I see your point, but then again; I can read & research all about Ferrari's, but other than looking at the 0-60MPH spec, I don't care because I'll probably never own one. As said, I may read about the Ferrari, but it's not about learning in that case for me; just fun.
    Now I would be more inclined to actually care about a review of a $20K-$30K car.

(I read & researched much more on the 7300 and a few $1,500 radios than I did for radios north of $2K)

I will remain curious if according to Mr. Sherwood's numbers of 20,ooo 7300's being sold in a short period, how the 7610 will fare; especially given Mr. Sherwood's less than stellar numbers on the 7610.

We shall see...

13. WB9VPG

Yes! Either the podcast or on demand at hamtalklive.com

14. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a really nice family portrait. :cool:

WB9VPG likes this.
  15. K9QJS

K9QJS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Which Thursday night? February 1? Dates are always helpful. If not available can I listen later?

Hoop
    K9QJS