ad: Schulman-1

Ham Talk Live! Episode 94 - Antenna Installs on the USS Batfish and a Gift from Radiowavz

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Dec 19, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Emmett Hohensee III, W0QH, the chief engineer at RadioWavz, has rescheduled to be on the show this week. We will talk about some of his exotic antenna installation trips, including the Pearl Harbor special event station aboard the USS Batfish. Emmett and RadioWavz also has a gift for all of our listeners, so don’t miss that! We may also throw in some winter antenna maintenance discussion, and as always we will take your phone calls live!

Tune into Ham Talk Live! Thursday night at 9 pm Eastern time by going to hamtalklive.com. When the audio player indicates LIVE, just hit the play button! If you miss the show live, you can listen on demand 24/7/365.25 also at hamtalklive.com; or a podcast version is on nearly all podcast sites a few minutes after the live show is over. Some sites include Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Play, SoundCloud, and iHeart Podcasts; and it's also available on YouTube.

Be sure to CALL in with your questions and comments by calling 812-NET-HAM-1 live during the show, or by Skype. Our username is hamtalklive. You can also tweet your questions before or during the show to @HamTalkLive.

01_uss_batfish_ss_310.jpg 17554333_943256065778187_4328806242602379971_n.jpg

AG4KN, K7ART, KC1ILH and 3 others like this.
  2. N0GB

N0GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Way To Go Emmet! Loyal Supporter of Radiowavz! Nice to see you made the news! I have 6 Radiowavz antennas. Doubt it? Work me and I'll send you a QSL card with pics! I know Emmet and actually worked him using one of his antennas last year on his NPOTA Dry Tortuga activation. Happy Holidays everyone!

K7ART and KG5GOG like this.
  3. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

I have an interesting personal story about the Batfish. The sub was moored in Tampa Bay back in the 70's where my friends and I would occasionally visit it. There was usually only one person on duty and once inside, you could pretty much go wherever you wanted. I remember that all the engineering documents, blueprints, etc., were all still aboard, just like the last day it sailed. My general impression of the boat was that it must have been terrifying duty to serve aboard the thing. The thing was filled with vacuum tubes, cloth covered wiring, and the very best in 1940's technology. Small and cramped as well. The only thing I didn't get to see was the view from the conning tower. It's quite amusing to see where it sits today, on dry land.

K7ART, KC1ILH, K6RF and 5 others like this.
  4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

The Batfish is about a 10 minute drive away from me. Local hams have setup an amateur radio club station there and it's undoubtedly a very interesting piece of history.

If you are looking for them on the air, the USS Batfish callsign is WW2SUB

Click here for a virtual tour of the USS Batfish: http://ussbatfish.com/virtualtour.html

More photographs and other historical information about the USS Batfish is here: http://warmemorialpark.org/

The Batfish amateur radio club website is here: http://www.ww2ok.org/#xl_xr_page_index

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    KC1ILH, KG5GOG, PP8DA and 5 others like this.
  5. N0GB

N0GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup, Keel Laid down in 1942. My dad was on a similar boat the USS Tirante. Actually saw 7 war patrols! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Batfish_(SS-310)

KC1ILH, W5PPD and KG5GOG like this.
  6. KD5ORW

KD5ORW Ham Member QRZ Page

I was out at the Batfish a few weeks ago. Missed the special event station.
    YDXJ0194.jpg YDXJ0180.jpg YDXJ0197.jpg

KC1ILH, W4AAX, KD4JPF and 4 others like this.
  7. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

Three cheers for the USS Tirante ( SS - 420). I salute you for your fathers service on the
    subs. I served on the USS Tigrone (SS419) as a radioman back in the early 60's.

KC1ILH, N0GB, KD5ORW and 3 others like this.
  8. K5LLZ

K5LLZ Ham Member QRZ Page

My uncle served on its sister ship the Catfish. He was a radio man and served in WW2.
    It was destroyed in the Falklands war.

KC1ILH, N0GB and KG5GOG like this.
  9. N4KC

N4KC Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the honor of writing a book about USS Batfish, "In the Course of Duty." Hers is a fascinating story, both in WWII and the amazing tale of how she came to rest today in Muskogee, Oklahoma, at the highest elevation any submarine has ever been. She sank three Japanese submarines in just over three days, quite a feat since our subs only sank a total of seven I-boats in the entire war. I'm thrilled that regular special events and other ham operations from the boat keep her in the public eye. I try to work WW2SUB every time I hear those wonderful call letters.
    73 de N4KC

KC1ILH, K3BR, N0GB and 5 others like this.
  10. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member

In each of the three sinkings, the Batfish radar operators were able to pickup the Japanese submarines' S-band surface search radar on sub's radar. They could tell by the pulse repetition frequency and the duration of the pulses that they were emitted by a hostile radar.

KC1ILH likes this.
  11. BG7YH

BG7YH Ham Member QRZ Page

12. W6MQI

W6MQI Ham Member QRZ Page

There's no way I could have served on a sub one time I boarded a Foxtrot class Russian sub couldn't wait to get the hell off instant claustrophobia my hats off to the men who served on these boats.

KC1ILH and WB9VPG like this.
  13. K5NAP

K5NAP Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked off the Batfish 3 times. My daughter N5EVA keeps dragging me back hi hi. A great bunch of folks in WW2OK/SUB and they do amazing things with the boat and the museum. Hats off to all with hand over the heart to those that fought and served, especially those in the subs.

K5NAP - Jerry

Great had to be 13th

WB9VPG likes this.
  14. KG5EWK

KG5EWK QRZ Lifetime Member #589 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I also use Radiowavz antenna's ( have 2 or three) and think that they are great! I also want to thank Mr. Hohensee for all he and the company have done for the Batfish and those of us who call her our clubhome.
    [​IMG]

WB9VPG likes this.
  15. N6AXQ

N6AXQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Certainly wish I could tour the USS Batfish. There is nothing like sleeping soundly at 900ft below sea level. Served on the diesel submarine, USS Bluegill AGSS-242 1966-69 (crammed and smelly - no showers 37 days straight). Served on the Nuclear Ballistic Missile submarine USS Henry Clay SSBN625 1972-75 (clean and showers whenever you wanted them). Had to live within 50ft of a Nuclear Reactor. 75 day patrols. Wouldn't trade it for the world. Submariners are fantastic human beings - we stay deeper and longer.

WB9VPG likes this.