ad: ProAudio-1

Ham Talk Live! Episode 80 - Hurricane Nets Live Update

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Sep 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB8O

KB8O Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KV6O exactly, it's the lack of the test that is allowing them on the bands...

2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

People who have to work for something tend to be more likely to appreciate the goal once attained. Conversely, people who exert little effort tend to trivialize the privilege they obtained.

AK5B and KB8O like this.
  3. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

"Rotten" ops have been around since the rettysnitch. I have seen 20, 30+ year licensed ops do things on air that should have them removed. Testing has nothing to do with it, enforcement of the rules does.

Think about drivers licenses - you could make the test 2x harder, 3x harder, and folks will still speed, still drive angry, still have DUI's...

I think you read waaay more into the test than is actually there. To some folks, it's a major accomplishment. To others, it's really not... I picked up the book on a Sunday and tested on a Monday, I flipped thru it an realized with my background it would be an easy test. I have taught the class to non-technical folks and it's MUCH harder for them. So, if anything, the test represents an accomplishment for those folks with zero radio/electronics background, and a cakewalk for the RF engineering type, so the RF engineering type should be the folks we don't want... o_O

it will not stop bad behavior, never did. Enforcement is the deterrent, not a test taken 30 years ago.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    K3CIA, AK5B and N3AB like this.
  4. W1SRR

W1SRR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

IMHO I would have to disagree with you. As I stated earlier, anyone with the money can purchase a radio and start to use it right away (until caught of course). Many people have their parent's old radio in the attic and when something like a natural disaster is looming they blow the dust off and hook it all up, like they learned at the Boy Scouts. Conversely, when SHTF you can find some salty old timer operator become a royal pain in the butt and do/say stupid stuff on the radio. Lets face it- as a licensed amature operator we have own set of rules, but when it is an emergency you will have to put those to the side and deal with each contact on a case by case.

Some citizens hate the FCC as much as they hate the IRS, hahaa!! Remember that we have here in America the Freedom of Speech- Here is an excerpt of Article 19 of the UDHR which states that "everyone shall have the right to hold opinions without interference" and "everyone shall have the right to freedom of expression; this right shall include freedom to seek, receive and impart information and ideas of all kinds, regardless of frontiers, either orally, in writing or in print, in the form of art, or through any other media of his choice". Yes even RADIO.

So it doesn't matter how much radio knowledge you have, or how fast you can key in CW. When someone is scared and they need help they will get on the air. As the licensed "Ham Operators" we will need to do just like the emergency dispatchers and listen in AND help those people even if it is to explain general communication rules.

I for one can attest that sometimes I find myself speaking to other operators and get the sense that they feel like they are bothered. I went to a local meeting and out of the 80 or so people that were there I had only ONE guy shake my hand and talk to me- even after I introduced myself in the club. Your statement actually reminds me of a term I heard "eating your young." Lets face it, our hobby is slowly dying off- I saw it in the faces at the meet, 90% of those people were in their 70s and 80s. They have a TON of knowledge to pass on, but many feel they same as you and feel that "in the old days" and today's operator is no where the caliber of "back then"

Anyway- sorry for the rant, lets see what Hurricane Marie has in store for us next...

AK5B likes this.
  5. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't know if that train of thought has a caboose but what it has to do with what I said must be buried in there someplace I guess.
    I was referring to a question someone else posed regarding how a memory test any person not suffering dementia can pass doesn't instill in the licensee any sense of value.

6. W1SRR

Well said sir!

7. W1WJ/SK2023

W1WJ/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

yup!!!! amen to that!!!!!! POLITICS DONT HAVE A PLACE HERE.....

W0HR and KK5R like this.
  8. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

9. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree 110% with this concept for how our hobby should be used...

One of the old Ham Radio Axioms was that Politics and Religion should not be discussed on Ham Radio because they are so controversial and too often lead to heated discussions. I remember that that this was somehow connected with the philosophy of Hiram Percy Maxim and referred to the Gentleman Ham.

In these days of Internet and Email, I believe an email between hams when discussing such things is probably the best way to discuss them. Much less bloodshed would be the result.

I also detect sometimes that a few hams love to grandstand and Ham Radio is their preferred platform. For me, there is certainly "freedom of speech" but there are also ramifications that can result if some degree of respect and forethought is not exercised. Besides, I'd much rather hear discussions about equipment, antennas, HOA concerns, etc., and think these are much more interesting to a ham. But then, everyone's taste is in his/her own mouth.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    AK5B, W0HR and W1SRR like this.
  10. N3AB

N3AB Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm curious how you know that someone saying something stupid may be a "salty old timer operator". When I hear some of the antics on the radio, I can't tell if these people are unlicensed, newly licensed, or as you call them...salty old timer operators.

Just curious if you have a beef with our older brothers who are still trying to enjoy "amature" (sic) radio.

11. W1SRR

Your right of course and I stand corrected. I have no beef, but especially salted beef as it raises my BP as well cholesterol (HAHA). Truth be told, I feel that we licensed hams have all year to enjoy our hobby, but during a time of crises such as a Hurricane, we can be a bit more accommodating to those in need. Yes even if they need a radio check, give it to them and politely ask them to keep the frequency clear for emergencies. Not only will this help, but it will give them a positive experience that they themselves might join our ranks. As I said in my post- it can be anyone even those of us with a ticket.

AK5B and N3AB like this.
  12. WA1SAZ

WA1SAZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Trump is now tweeting and golfing while Americans go without food, water, and electricity. Cares more about what the NFL is up to. Better record than whom??? And as has been pointed out, if you want to make snide remarks, you should get your facts straight. Obama had nothing to do with Katrina. Your comment is laughable.