ad: elecraft

Ham Talk Live! Episode 80 - Hurricane Nets Live Update

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Sep 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Tonight at 9 pm Eastern time, Bobby Graves, KB5HAV from the Hurricane Watch Net and Lloyd Colston, KC5FM from the VoIP Hurricane Net will be on the show to give an update on the status of their respective nets as we now have 3 active hurricanes. Then, we will take your calls LIVE!

Tune into Ham Talk Live! Thursday night at 9 pm Eastern time by going to hamtalklive.com. When the audio player indicates LIVE, just hit the play button! If you miss the show live, you can listen on demand 24/7/365.25 also at hamtalklive.com; or a podcast version is on nearly all podcast sites a few minutes after the live show is over. Some sites include Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Play, SoundCloud, and iHeart Podcasts; and it's also available on YouTube.

Be sure to CALL in with your questions and comments by calling 812-NET-HAM-1 live during the show, or by Skype. Our username is hamtalklive. You can also tweet your questions before or during the show to @HamTalkLive.

voipwx.net_-297x300.jpg HWN 2016-LOGO_8.jpg

PD8B, WA2LXB, AK5B and 2 others like this.
  2. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is there an HF frequency for this hurricane net? If so, it would be helpful for hams that use only radios and antennas to communicate with each other...

Thanks and 73,

Jeff

NR7Z, N2MLP, N4NTP and 1 other person like this.
  3. KA4ZZZ

KA4ZZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Point...what is the frequency of these nets???

NK2U and AK5B like this.
  4. NS8N

NS8N Ham Member QRZ Page

NK2U, AK5B and WB9VPG like this.
  5. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We will go over all that on the show. But as NS8N said, they are on 7.268 right now, and during the day they are on 14.325. The VoIP net is on many repeaters and links all over the place. hwn.org and voipwx.net has the latest info for both.

NK2U likes this.
  6. AK5B

Thanks; hadn't seen those freqs before and there aren't any linked repeaters where I live.

73, Jeff

7. W3SEB

W3SEB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks For Being There.

KF4ZKU and WB9VPG like this.
  8. W7PMS

W7PMS Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there anyone in this group who runs climate or weather models? I've used NASA/GISS ModelE_v2 to study rocket plume soot, as well as WRF for local area modeling. I haven't gotten Hurricane WRF running. Does anyone know if NOAA uses Hurricane WRF in its operational hurricane prediction modeling? My understanding from the best climate modeling is that this sort of disaster will occur more or less on an annual basis from now on. Does anyone know the current status of FEMA - will this be a repeat of Katrina?

9. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

What do you mean by "a repeat of Katrina?" A hurricane is a dangerous storm. If thats what you mean by repeat, then yes it is a repeat. If you are talking about FEMA emergency plans and actions, the answer is NO. There is a new team at bat and the team captain has a much better record than the captain during Katrina. The Trump administration will not sit on their butts and twiddle their thumbs like the Obama administration did. Trump is already taking action and the storm is not here yet.

WU8Y, KU4NJ, G2CNN and 2 others like this.
  10. W0HR

W0HR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Umm, Katrina was during the Dubya Administration, 1800 dead. Sandy, during O. We could all be more 'muricun if we would leave politics the hell out of ham radio. Or... at least, know the facts before we shoot craps.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    KA9A, KD4UWD, K9OZ and 8 others like this.
  11. WB1E

WB1E Ham Member QRZ Page

A little more common sense in the LOCAL legislature, and Florida I doubt will have the initial shooting at the rescue helicopters by looters problem....God Bless all of those in SW Florida, hold on tight.

12. W0RUS

W0RUS Ham Member QRZ Page

I feel they want you to listen via the internet to get ratings. I'm one who feels ham radio is about communicating via HF not the internet!

AK5B likes this.
  13. AK5B

Know the facts as you say... Well, K4AGO stated facts. He said "...captain during Katrina" and didn't need to specify who that was by name or nickname as you have. The death toll of 1800 is neither fact nor fiction---it is only an estimated total which may never be known (I've seen most estimates ranging from 1200 to 1800).

Not to belabor things further along these lines but AGO really hit the nail on the head, in my opinion.

Mother Nature doesn't play politics but people sure do. Since hams are people, too human nature tends to take over eventually.

Jeff

14. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Who's "they"? Are you referring to the OP? You do realize you're complaining via the Internet on a ham radio website... about the Internet. :rolleyes:

15. W1SRR

W1SRR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

HAHAA!