ad: elecraft

Ham Talk Live! Episode 54 - Hamvention Update with Michael Kalter, W8CI

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Mar 1, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thursday at 9 pm Eastern on Ham Talk Live!, Michael Kalter, W8CI, the official spokesperson for the Dayton Hamvention will be on the show to give us the latest news on the plans for Hamvention at it's new home! Tune in for the interview, followed by your questions! Just go to hamtalklive.com, and when the show is live hit the play button.

If you have a question, give us a call LIVE during the show at 812-NET-HAM-1, or by Skype at Ham Talk Live. Or, you can tweet us @hamtalklive.

If you miss the live show, the replay is on demand 24/7 at hamtalklive.com and on most podcasting outlets.

Hamvention-2017-CramerKalter AR Roundtable-Nov 16-2.JPG Dayton-Hamvention-logo_2.jpg

WD9GCO, K9PLG and KD9AEZ like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

YOUNG PERSON ALERT!:)

According to the ARRL, Xenia will be giving schoolkids(Xenia High) the day off BECAUSE of Hamvention:) I presume they will have some sort of admissions discount and will be encouraged to attend.

If you attend Hamvention, there is a great opportunity to be FRIENDLY to these young people, engage them in the fun, and explain why ham radio matters. I might add that we ALSO are making an impression. That doesn't mean wear a jacket and tie, but I strongly urge us, as a whole, to put a bit of polish in our appearance. We don't want the youth of Xenia to see us as Jack Sparrow's entourage;-) They will already see us as old; let's take the high road. Shirts ( not the same one for 3 days) and deoderant are for always....

Finally let me urge all of us to appreciate the 'scooter guys'. I am glad they are at Hamvention! Take a minute to say hello and you may hear some amazing stories and life lessons:)

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    WA8FOZ, AB6Z, W4DAF and 5 others like this.
  3. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I will only agree to use deodorant if you don't wear the white hardhat that has a vhf rubber duckie attached to it and the Wilson 1402 handie talkie on your belt.

WB9VPG likes this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hahah! Deal:)

WF9Q likes this.
  5. WB9VPG

Yes, I'm the one who found that on their web site, and I see everyone is talking about it now! And yes, shirts and deodorant for everyone! and a 5-9! ha ha

6. K0MD

K0MD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I look forward to Mr. Kalter's interview. I hope he will explain what he means by a "5 Star" event - it seems hard to me that the fairgrounds can mimic anything like the Ritz Carlton or another 5 star would put on. I am also worried about the traffic flow - perhaps the Hamvention committee can better describe how we will easily drive from Dayton to the Fairgrounds daily without an hour long traffic jam? Thanks Neil for organizing him on the show.

WB9VPG likes this.
  7. N0IRS

N0IRS Ham Member QRZ Page

You have made a very good point and well worded might I say! Getting young folks involved can and will have a positive influence in their lives and careers. Lord knows we sure need some to back-fill our ranks in years to come.

WB9VPG likes this.
  8. WB9VPG

And only fractal antennas!!! :)

WD9GCO likes this.
  9. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Just do like the good people would do and leave a few minutes earlier and not whine about issues that are way beyond any one's control.

WA8FOZ and W5TTP like this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree.

Hara wasnt in downtown Dayton either and the traffic always seemed acceptable to me.

WF9Q likes this.
  11. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sage advice, Dr. Chip!

WB9VPG and W1YW like this.
  12. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

At least this is not a Chicago venue, that is a perpetual traffic jam.

13. WB6NJA

WB6NJA Ham Member QRZ Page

There were many ways to get to Hara, there are only 2 ways to get to fairgrounds from Dayton

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

But that is basically irrelevant as most of the traffic came in two routes at a time.

15. N8DC

N8DC Ham Member QRZ Page

Well Chip I do use deodorant and wear clean clothes while I am out but thats in May so I guess I need to axe :) your opinion about tank tops or wife beaters as some call them.. I can play the part and watch my language and act like an adult but sleeves make me itch so I refuse to wear anything other than a tank top when its warm out but since you decided to take charge and set up a dress and personality code I really want to make sure its ok .. If not I guess I will stay home and work all the DX your missing by being proper and correct.. :)
    73 Dave N8DC