ad: UR5CDX-1

Ham Talk Live! Episode 188 - Stealth Antennas and HOAs

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Oct 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

My [late] wife was always supportive of my amateur radio activities. Never once gave me a hard time with antennas.

upload_2019-11-1_8-58-44.png

W8LV, KD2KIQ, KK7AMB and 2 others like this.
  2. W9RAC

W9RAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Over the years I have QSO with numerous OPs (CW) who were using, well you name it. A few are, gutters, awnings, attic dipoles, attic beams, car roof top mobile antennas remoted to shack, magnetic loops setting on the table, flag poles, chain link fences, and the best of the best was a gent in a nursing home with a wire dangling out the window. 73 Rich

KF4ZKU likes this.
  3. NK9Y

NK9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

The wife, and I, are interested in a place in the south west U.S. Tower restrictions, in non HOA areas abound there, and are not always clearly spelled out in advance. Am aware of at least one op, who purchased a fair amount of acreage east of ABQ. Inquired about tower placement before the purchase, the county board said no problem, basically, "go for it". Only after the first tower went up, and one neighbor on the far horizon complained, he got THE notice from the county. I forget how many years of attorney fees the ham spent. He ultimately won his case, but the fight was apparently too much strain. No towers are on that property today.

The comment made more than once in the past, "don't ask in advance, just put it up," does have merit. I would think the towers can remain planted throughout the appeals process. And such a process, can linger on for many years, if one's pockets are deep enough. hihi

4. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Stock photo. My "back 40" is more like 40 inches. ;)

AK5B likes this.
  5. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That would be ideal, John. But many of us want/need to be close to work, family, good schools, good doctors, shopping etc. Non-restricted homes in my price/convenience range are sadly too far away for my needs. I'm a heart patient and I need to be very close to my in-network cardiologist & hospital. Moreover, I'm so close to my grandson's place that he spends weekdays with me instead of daycare. :) As much as I enjoy radio, other things must come first. I'm sincerely happy for you if you're enjoying the hobby to the fullest at your location!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    W4SEX, W7SJP, KF4ZKU and 3 others like this.
  6. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree 100%
    It always a question of priorities.

People buy into HOAs in order to not have to deal with antennas, junk cars, (fill in the blank), ect. next door.

... and then there is that little thing called a signed, legal, and enforceable contract

AK5B likes this.
  7. NS4WT

NS4WT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Fortunately my HOA isn't utterly stupid about it, though I have to keep my requests "within reason" (meaning that it's not an automatic "no"). Will they let me put up a 120-ft tower in the postage-stamp back yard? Of course not. Do they have an issue if I put up a 32-ft telescopic mast in a "non-permanent" (i.e., I can easily take it down when I need to move) mounting? Not a problem, since it's not visible from the front of the house (permanent mounting would need an architectural review, but I'm guaranteed at least one "yes" vote since I'm on the board ;)). I currently have a horizontal loop in the attic (as big as I could make it), then feed it with window line to a balanced line tuner. It's a compromise antenna for sure, but I can still make contacts. I also have an active loop receiving antenna in the back yard almost 8 feet above the ground. If I need to go beyond the attic wire and set something up outside, I could probably put up something like a DX Commander without any objections from my HOA.

Right now, I'm more bothered with RFI than with my HOA.

AK5B and KK4HPY like this.
  8. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

^ On the RFI and HOA, if a neighbor buys a "Fish Pump Modulator" that puts out moving horizon radar noise dropping like PSK worms every 1500hz from 1300kz to 440mhz, can the HOA shut them down for pollution? I had a neighbor making that noise . We found it was the device mentioned, Fish Pump Modulator.

The instruction sheet said FCC approved, but when I looked up the FCC ID, it was for the Bluetooth/WiFi module in it, not the entire system. It was German made, they ignored the tests we did and told the neighbor to put some beads on it or try a different wall outlet.

Nothing worked, it put out the noise on every circuit that was on the same line transformer, even into the Christmas Tree lights outdoors on the tree. Could be heard on an FT-817 with the 2 meter whip on the front, radio set 40 meters more than a block away.

Being a good neighbor he told me he was not using it anymore. I told him I would buy it from him since he paid ~$200 for it. he said he would keep it and use it someday when he moved or I moved.

So what is a "Fish Pump Modulator?" instead of a steady stream of the same water pressure out the fish pump, you plug your fish pump into the modulator and program nice soothing Up and Down pressure waves at random; more soothing for the fish and the person watching them. Just what I would see on the water fall. It did this by fluctuating the voltage and frequency of the AC into the fish pump using switching transistors/transformers, etc....and that is the rest of the story...

W4SEX, KK7AMB, KQ6XA and 1 other person like this.
  9. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So, you think an ineffective association for a hobby and a body of the Unites States Government should be there to hold your hand when you're at the closing for your new home...that YOU made the conscious decision to purchase... that's in a Deed Restricted Community?

That's the question Brett because, you MUST UNDERSTAND what YOU are getting into before YOU sign on the bottom line of a contract!

I know! I know! Being accountable for one's self in this 21st century IS SUCH a burden, right?

K1VSK, WN1MB and AK5B like this.
  10. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

^ I agree with what your saying NU4R... however on a side note is it not strange and now it is common you buy your property and your home and others can tell you what you can and can not do? Really the "Modern Family" forgot what freedom was about and wants their home to be like "What I See On TV"

AK5B, KK7AMB and KF4ZKU like this.
  11. NH6RF

NH6RF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had to deal with the HOA situation cuz the house the wife wanted was located in an HOA area. I experimented with various verticals and dipoles with some success. Put up an OCFD and wow what a difference. HOA patrol has to look real close to see it and so far they haven't. It's been up 3 years now. I would hate to model it to see the patterns but 4000 plus contacts on 80-10 meters (with a tuner) is an indication that it's working pretty well. 73's de NH6RF/Bill

AK5B, K2NCC and K8XG like this.
  12. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

^ NH6RF your Avatar's poster was sold in the 1970s was called good for wrapping fish, so I have NO Idea why you would want to use that ???
    Why do everyone say 'Its what the wife wants?" In such a marriage you are Equals , are hams such a push over???

W4SEX, W8LV and N8VIL like this.
  13. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah, yes: the usual flame regarding HOAs: that you "agreed" to a "contract."

Nope; you didn't. You were subjected to a contract of adhesion, which attempts to deprive you of your rights, to buy a property in a situation where you may not have had any other realistic choice. HOAs are not governments, and should not have the power to strip a citizen of a government-granted right. One which is more than the right to practice a hobby. It's a credential which means you have the capacity and ability to save lives.

14. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, you DID.

You (not necessarily YOU dear reader) agreed to the terms of the contract. Whether you knew the details or not. You weren't forced into signing it. And you had other choices.

According to several sources (example), HOAs make up about 1/4th of homes. Plenty of other locations you could have picked.

Sure, folks might want to live close to schools, work, the grandparents, etc., but you can't always have your cake and eat it too.

I'd love if my wonderful wife were a billionaire. But I'd rather have the former than just the latter.
    If you love your location, but otherwise just can't do a hobby, which is really more important?

Me, if I want to paint my house purple with yellow polka-dots, it's my castle, should be my choice.

IMO, people in HOAs have ZERO right to complain about antenna rules. YOU CHOSE to live there. And likely to this day continue to pay to do so.

I hope the well-manured lawns and cookie-cutter houses was worth it. I never have and never will live in an HOA (CC&Rs, etc.)

Do you really think anyone is going to complain if you actually DO save lives? (As unlikely as that may be.)

How about this; You can only put up your antenna for brief annual testing and during a real emergency.

Or is your real goal to be able to fill in the logbook or check into yet another no-traffic net while enjoying the other benefits of an HOA?

I have the "government-granted right" to drive a car. But if I lived in an HOA, that doesn't mean I can rev-up at 2am while spinning out a new track in my postage-stamp lot.

If you live in an HOA, you made a poor choice for this hobby/service. Get over it.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    KB2SMS, AK5B and N8VIL like this.
  15. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

[deleted to merge comments]