ad: dxeng

Ham Talk Live! Episode 171 - World Scout Jamboree & WalMart Parking Lots On the Air

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Jun 26, 2019.

ad: L-MFJ
  1. K7YB

K7YB Ham Member QRZ Page

Krispy Kreme on the air! Waffle house on the Air! Dunkin' Donuts on the Air! Go where the hams hang out! POTA or mountain topping sounds more challenging...and healthier.

WB9VPG and KD9BXL like this.
  2. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you often find yourself outside and yelling at clouds? Those of us that participate in WMPLOTA are not "wrong about this" and I can promise you that we are having lots of fun. Once again, chill pills can be found on aisle 11 and for quicker service you can use the self checkout located at the front of the store. I can't wait to exchange grids and store numbers with my fellow WMPLOTAians. 73!

WD9EWK and AD5HR like this.
  3. KB3JC

KB3JC Ham Member QRZ Page

The more I think about it, it's not silly. I believe the main point of these exercises is to get ham radio out into the public, get it seen where we can have the most return on investment. Walmart does bring in a lot of people, some will have time to see what's going on. But I think it's a marketing issue, for example, if you ask a mom and pop store if you can set up a station to demonstrate ham radio, you need to sell it as an opportunity to draw some people into their parking lot, and offer to plug their store to anyone that shows up to see what's going on. With Walmart, it's a different story, there we're trying to hook some of their existing customers, we won't be drawing new people in for them. In that case, the tactic is different, there we want to sell to Walmart the emergency aspect of ham radio (yes, even if it's talk to Santa event). By doing that we're saying Walmart is critical to the area, they have things that people will need in emergencies, people need to remember that. And because Walmart is critical to the community, it should participate in ham radio exercises, which give us a chance to see how things could work there. In the case of a real community emergency there will be law enforcement there, needing coordination with the local authorities. We need to ask them, "do they want to be part of the solution, or part of the problem?"

4. KN4DXD

KN4DXD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wahhhhhhhh!

5. KA7RRA

KA7RRA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

dont forget McDonalds on the air burger king on the air and KFC on the air Pizza Haven and Dominos on the air

6. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Alphabet Soup On The Air .... maybe next week it'll be "National Landfills On The Air" .... followed by "Condemned Nuclear Power Plants On The Air" .... then maybe "Pet Cemeteries On The Air" ..... Aw, come ON!!! Let's get original. We get it. "xxOTA" was cool at one time .... Besides, I'd rather not have my child scout wear a film badge in order to qualify for a "radio badge"!

K0UO likes this.
  7. PU4TPM

PU4TPM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a Scoutmaster in Brazil, and Scout Radio, who knows how to make this contact.
    73 from PU4TPM

8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Guess I'll just wait for an activity at my favorite fast food location. Chick-fil-A. Eliminates the need for bringing food and drink along.

WB9VPG likes this.
  9. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Those Conspiracy guys call Wal-Mart a undercover FEMA Camp and say the true meaning of Wal-Mart is MARTial LAW.

10. VE3JMR

VE3JMR Ham Member QRZ Page

What is the problem with for profit businesses? Businesses that do not pull a profit don't stay in business. It's that simple. Think about it next time you are in your favorite store or restaurant. If it were to close suddenly, it' s probably because it could not bring in enough revenue to exceed it's expenses (ie profit). And also think about this: You made a "profit" with your job. That is, you made more money than your expenses, hopefully. Why should a business owner only make enough to pay their expenses? Why shouldn't they be able to make enough to pay their PERSONAL (at home) expenses plus go on vacation, buy ham gear, etc,...? I get sick and tired of people that diss commercial entities by calling them "for profit" just to make them look bad. Walmart has shareholders that have sunk billions of dollars of their own money into the company. They deserve a return on their investment.