Ham Talk Live! Episode 171 - World Scout Jamboree & WalMart Parking Lots On the Air

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Jun 26, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
  1. K0CBA

K0CBA Ham Member QRZ Page

" WalMart Parking Lots on the Air"
    Well, it will give you something to do while waiting in the ten deep line to get thru the two or three (out of 25) open check out registers!

WU8Y and K4OCY like this.
  2. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

"Hamfest/Hamvention? I wouldn't go near that! I'm a vegetarian."

"Deviation? No thanks. I'm a traditionalist."

"Operate barefoot? No way! I have sensitive feet."

"QSL Bureau? No way! Don't you know that all bureaucrats are communists? ...plus, it's FRENCH!"

3. G0JUR

G0JUR Ham Member QRZ Page

4. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

Any of these events or contests or awards are merely a construct. Even something as seemingly logical as WAS really isn't when you consider that Rhode Island has the same value as Texas. It's just a random spot chosen to stick a goal post.

All of them are 'valid.'
    None of them are 'Valid.'

WU8Y likes this.
  5. K8EL

K8EL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I doubt I'll participate. It mostly depends if my schedule allows due to family or other responsibilities. Why not just work the satellites anyways? Does it have to take some fancy event? And do we really need an event to encourage people to use FM satellites on the weekends? Those are already a zoo. We should encourage more people to use the linear satellites. I called CQ on a linear satellite during Field Day and got much of nothing, all while FM passes were unworkable due to all the overcrowding.

KE0NAZ likes this.
  6. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

There is one simple reason for this. Working an FM satellite is as Easy as using a single (yes, ONE) baofeng with an aftermarket whip (ok, it's not easy, but possible).

Working a linear, at the very least, requires a single VHF/UHF SSB transceiver and likely a beam antenna (I am aware of no linear contacts being made with whips in the recent years). So there is a very real equipment hurdle that must be overcome to get on the linear sats.

To take the opposite approach, a "good" portable FM satellite station consists of a D72 and an arrow/elk antenna. That's about $300 to $500 invested depending on used or new. A "good" portable SSB satellite station consists of an FT-817/8 (or two), or a single FT817/8 and an all-mode receiver, plus the same antenna (and a diplexer if using an elk). The cost doubles.

KE0NAZ likes this.
  7. KF9F

KF9F Ham Member QRZ Page

I WONDER HOW MANY PEOPLE WILL PARK THEIR RV IN A WALMART PARKING LOT W/O GIVING IT A 2ND THOT? AS LONG AS THEIR PROPERTY IS NOT DAMAGED, I DON'T SEE A PROBLEM. ITS GOOD PUBLICITY FOR THE ABILITY OF THE HOBBY.

K4BMW and W2CSI like this.
  8. W0WTF

W0WTF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, I sure am glad some of you old codgers and curmudgeons stopped yelling "GET OFF MY LAWN" and disparaging 'no code extras' as the demise of Ham Radio long enough to completely have the entire thing fly way over your crabby heads. Sadly, Wal Mart has no aisle where you can find a sense of humor, but some of you should spend more time trying to find one.

Those of us who DO have senses of humor and enjoy ham radio in all of its wonderful different ways of enjoyment will get a chuckle out of the WMPLOTA event. I might even dust off my Arrow and HTs and activate one or two next weekend!

We now return you to the endless parade of crabasses complaining about FT8 and how dead the bands are.

KG5CCI, W9AFB, N1NDN and 2 others like this.
  9. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

WMPLOTA FTW!

WD9EWK likes this.
  10. K9GLS

K9GLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm going to start POPOTA. Port O Potties On The Air. I know I know... the idea stinks.

WB9VPG, N1NDN, KD8ZXM and 2 others like this.