ad: chuckmartin

Ham Talk Live! Episode 147 - Ham Radio Aboard the Queen Mary

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Jan 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K8SQS

K8SQS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just want to say how disappointed I was at my inability to contact the station for a visit last September. I spent two nights aboard the Queen Mary celebrating my 50th wedding anniversary. I sent an email well in advance of my visit to the address listed on the QRZ page for W6RO and got no reply. I repeatedly went to the station during the two days I was aboard and found no one there although there was evidence that someone had powered up the station and then left! There was no note as to when they would return nor any contact information so I could call someone to let them know I was aboard. I will probably never get another chance to be aboard the ship!

2. K3CRM

K3CRM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Made a GREAT CW QSO with W6RO from our Ship, the Nuclear Ship Savannah. Ship to Ship. The Operator aboard W6RO was as excited to work K3SAV as much as I was to work them! We traded QSL cards which is proudly on display in our shack aboard the Savannah although, the Queen Mary's shack is much bigger and well appointed. Glad they put that historic old gal on the air. Can't wait for Museum Ship's Weekend June 1 and June 2 from 0000Z to 2359Z! Should be another great event hosted by the super hams aboard the Battleship New Jersey, NJ2BB. BZ!

KB7GL likes this.
  3. K3CRM

K3CRM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In my instance, I actually work aboard the Nuclear Ship Savannah K3SAV, and am glad to schedule ham tours as often as I can. As the nuclear engineer aboard, I am always busy but try to squeeze in visitors. Been known to drag hams off the street from VHF contacts made while commuting on I95 from QTH to the ship.

Sorry you didn't get to operate W6RO, but those folks are most likely volunteers with busy schedules they probably don't live aboard the QM. Also, they have hoops to jump through to allow visitors to gain access. Probably just a scheduling conflict and not intentional. Betcha the folks aboard W6RO will be aboard and operating June 1 -2 for Museum Ships Weekend 2019. KUDOS to Battleship New Jersey, NJ2BB for putting our favorite event together!

KB7GL likes this.
  4. CT7ACG

CT7ACG Guest

I have tried several times to get permission to operate from a cruise ship and always denied by the shipping company although once aboard the Captain has no issues very annoying when one left all the gear at home in the shack! 73 de CT7ACG/G3VCQ