ad: MyersEng-1

Ham Talk Live! Episode 138 - Ducie Island DXpedition VP6D LIVE

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Oct 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. VK4CH

VK4CH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Propagation is rather interesting into northern Australia. 40 is not so bad but anything above is just not there whereas 1000 km further south it seems to work well.
    Maybe the weekend will be better.

2. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

On the show last night, they announced they had just decided to participate in CQWW SSB this weekend.

3. KG5VK

KG5VK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

with a 43 foot vertical and just a dozen radials
    I worked them on 160m cw with less than 100 watts
    so if your bitching they should be working ft8 because no one will work them on 160m
    your wrong !!!

I have nothing against FT8 as I also worked them on that mode on 40m

Cheers!
    Steve
    KG5VK

4. N7XCZ

N7XCZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

any one work them on 40 RTTY ? yet

5. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Incentive licensing...it works !

Sitting here listening on 7010... an hour or so before my sunrise, S1 noise level and these guys are pounding in here at a solid S8 to S9... and calling CQ to boot.... amazing ! Worked them a little while ago on a "test" dipole that is not more than 10 feet above ground, with 200 feet of crappy old RG-58 feed-line, and perhaps 35 watts full-smoke out of my old drake 2NT /2B . How fun is that !

These guys are terrific ops. very efficient and patient. superb signals and on air 24x7 on many bands. Operations done this well come up about once every decade or so. This will go down in history as a top run dxpedition I think - on the order of FO0CI (Clipperton), BV9P (Pratas), VK0MM (Macquari), 7o6T (Yemen) etc. So much better now days with satellite internet and real time check-the-log web pages.

Really hats off to these folks for making this happen and at sunspot minimus to boot...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    AK5B likes this.
  6. N7XCZ

Point taken Joe,:rolleyes: and I too think they are doing a superb job I have worked them at least 12 times and all the modes they are running but really would like to have gotten them on 40 meter CW and within my operating privileges as an Advanced class operator. I may someday move on up to gain the extra 25 you never know;)
    oh and any reports of RTTY on 40 maybe I am listening at the wrong time :confused:
    73's

7. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

40 rtty around 01:30 utc today Oct 29th,

There were very big pileups on rtty from Asia, North America and Europe calling but with 75 watts and a weekend deployed 2el wire beam at 45feet in trees it was easy to work them on RTTY.

8. KK4WL

KK4WL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great operation and great operators.
    Worked them on 15 m CW 17 and 20 m SSB. from Florida.
    They did a great job of controlling huge pileups.

9. N7XCZ

Yes Thank you WB8VLC I was finally at the right place at the right time but wrong pile up Hi Hi was unable to make the RTTY contact I will try again Tonight and I did see and hear them move up to 7.015 to give other license holders a chance on 40 CW thanks Guys, Great Ops and Great Ears. I am going to keep at it and I am really enjoying the challenge of a well controlled DX Pileup Even with dismal band conditions C'mon 10 and 6 meters open up and show some Love for VP6D Woo Woo N7XCZ :)

10. N4FXZ

N4FXZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Worked them on 15 meters on 100 watts from end fed dipole in a tree from North Georgia. Thanks guys!

11. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I was hoping to work them on CW toward the very end of the DXpedition, assuming the pileups disappeared, but every time I heard them there was a pileup and eventually the time was up. Still glad these guys were out there doing their thing. I hope they had a ton of fun along the way--in addition to all the work!

12. LU9FHF

LU9FHF Ham Member QRZ Page

Great Dxpedition!! LU9FHF