ad: CQMM-1

Ham Talk Live! Episode 129 - What's Up with Please Copy?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Aug 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AB0RE

AB0RE Ham Member QRZ Page

Your "high standards" are likely driving new people from the hobby. Think about that.

KM1LKY, WU8Y, NA4RA and 2 others like this.
  2. WA4RDX

WA4RDX Ham Member QRZ Page

Then they don't have the maturity to understand "standards"!

KD5BVX, KB0FKT and AK5B like this.
  3. K1FBI

K1FBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And to make a show about it?
    Somebody needs a life...

KM1LKY, NU4R and WN1MB like this.
  4. AB0RE

So these operators who DARE to use 3 extra syllables in a contest exchange are also immature. Please, tell me more. (Sorry, I'm a bit dense - if you continue to mansplain this to me it may sink in.)

KM1LKY, AA7WB, WU8Y and 4 others like this.
  5. K1FBI

K1FBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think Copy Figures is a bigger waste.
    If you don't recognize a number as a number you shouldn't be copying traffic in the first place.

KB0FKT likes this.
  6. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Based on some the replies I'm reading in this thread, it sounds like it's a topic about which people have strong feelings... on both sides of the "please copy" debate. It should be an entertaining show.

WB9VPG and AB0RE like this.
  7. WA4RDX

It seems a fruitless effort, as you are substituting and mixing your comments and my replies. I commented that they weren't mature enough to understand standards if they were "driven from the hobby" by proper training.......... training being a key word in the regulations, to which we are ALL held accountable to adhere.

K4AGO, KD5BVX, WF7BSR and 2 others like this.
  8. AB0RE

I'm so, so sorry I've injected this trickery into my QRZ comments. The 11M tendencies in me simply couldn't resist.

Nope, those weren't you're exact words at all. Scroll up.

Additionally, what does "please copy" have to do with training and regulations? Who are we held accountable to for this egregious injustice of vocabulary by using these extra three syllables? What is your proposed resolution? Fines? Prison?

WU8Y, ND6M and HB9VQQ like this.
  9. WA4RDX

It is clear that you are only looking to argue, and any further exchange is pointless. I have made my position clear to those who care to see it and acknowledge it. You obviously do not.

KD5BVX, WF7BSR, KB0FKT and 1 other person like this.
  10. AB0RE

I'd beg to differ with your analysis. I think it is far from pointless to discuss how semantics are driving new hams from the hobby. Seasoned hams have been patient with you as you were learning - please reciprocate this courtesy.

Be nice to fellow hams in a contest, Butch. We've all got to start somewhere. Having more "paper" on the wall does not necessarily make one a better operator. There is so, so much more to the hobby than contesting.

W4ISZ and KD2NXM like this.
  11. K1GHC

K1GHC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Or the person who ID's and also ID's the other person he/she is communicating with...

KD5BVX likes this.
  12. NC8X

NC8X Ham Member QRZ Page

"Station By " another one !

13. WY7RF

WY7RF Ham Member QRZ Page

Where's my snow shovel.

14. W8CON

W8CON Ham Member QRZ Page

To quote Burt, "Who appointed you to speak for all contesters?" Well you don't speak for me.
    So this is just another of 100's of threads set up to spread hate for people that like to work contests including me.
    I don't get your hate for other hams that don't do everything just as you think they should do.
    That is my opinion on your little bash session you are going to have.

73's, John, WB0MPB for ID. Copy that? QSL.[/QUOT)
    QRZ forums in a nut shell

W5CJA likes this.
  15. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And that's another reason why this show is being done tonight... all people are hearing is that it's bashing, offensive.... whatever... instead of improving efficiency when it's needed and chilling out when it's not. Contesting with 'please copy' is just one example.

KD5BVX, WF7BSR and WA4RDX like this.