Ham sticks on an NMO mount?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N1FMV, Apr 15, 2019 at 2:26 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N1FMV

N1FMV Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi all, I was not sure where to post this, either here or in the mobile ham section. If it is in the wrong section I apologize. The wife and I will be running the GOTA station again this year. In addition to the usual ground mounted multi-band vertical we normally erect I am thinking of adding some visual eye candy, especially for the youngsters who wander by. I have a little red steel “radio flyer” wagon that I would like to setup as an antenna farm. Can anyone suggest what models (and where I can get them) of ham sticks that can use an NMO mag mount? I am thinking maybe one for 10, 20 and 40 meters. What about mag mounts, any preference? I won’t mount the rig in the wagon, I’ll keep that on the table, but the antennas will be on the wagon. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

An NMO mount is fine while stationary, but I wouldn't try to drive down the road with a hamstick attached to an NMO mount. The base will likely be insufficient to withstand the leverage of the antenna.

3. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I doubt if he could pull his Radio Flyer wagon fast enough for wind load to be a problem ...

N4BC, WZ7U, W7UUU and 4 others like this.
  4. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know. When I was a kid we lived on a hill. I felt a pretty good wind in my face on the way down.

WZ7U and WS4JM like this.
  5. KD8SLQ

KD8SLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham sticks use a 3/8"x24 female thread for their attachment. Same as a lot of CB antennas. You will need an adapter to go from the NMO to Hamstick. Here is what I found with a quick search on Amazon. I'm sure there are other options out there as well.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=NMO+to+3/8"+adaptor&i=electronics&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Another option would be to skip the adapter and just install a 3/8x24 F mount directly to you wagon. One less point of potential loss and a small hole to drill.

Once you have that installed, you can mount whatever Hamstick you want, from there it's up to you on what band you want to operate on.

MFJ-1606T 6 METER
    MFJ-1610T 10 METER
    MFJ-1612T 12 METER
    MFJ-1615T 15 METER
    MFJ-1617T 17 METER
    MFJ-1620T 20 METER
    MFJ-1630T 30 METER
    MFJ-1640T 40 METER
    MFJ-1660T 60 METER
    MFJ-1675T 75 METER
    http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1640T

6. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

If it's just for show cut a piece of plywood (or OSB) to fit the bottom of the wagon and drill holes through the plywood and bolt them.

7. N1FMV

N1FMV Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks, I thought about using a chasis punch to put a hole in the wagon but then I thought that the wiring under the bed of the wagon might snag when being moved. My tinking was that the mag mount would keep all the wiring up top and safe but maybe I should rethink that.

8. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I did that a few times, too. Until the one time a car on a cross-street nearly hit me, and my mom saw it.

9. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Not much cable and connector loss to worry about at those frequencies.
    The lack of any significant metal for a ground and that the antenna (already a huge compromise) sits about 8 inches off the ground will be the big signal killer.

Plastic wire ties solve that problem.

NL7W likes this.
  10. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

The "industrial grade" zip ties, mind you, not the cheap ones.