Ham Radio's Role in California Outages?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W2JKT, Oct 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Already too crowded here with the ‘escapees’. “Destinated”? o_Oo_O

1 person likes this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm surprised at the small amount of news coverage about this event. If it had been a storm that took out power to hundreds of thousands of customers we'd certainly be hearing about it. I find it a bit strange.

W4POT likes this.
  3. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

yep. media is strange.

W4POT likes this.
  4. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

So people in California have their power cut off to reduce the risk of fire from trees falling on power lines. Why didn't the state trim the trees in the first place?

I also read where the new target of environmentalists is toilet paper and how it's depleting the forest. Hey I have an idea where there are some trees!

Oh wait, I don't want the threat to get shut down over politics!

5. K3YGX

K3YGX Ham Member QRZ Page

Well the green new deal means using green leaves instead of TP
    I left San Francisco back in 98 and glad I did.....I saw the way the City was going
    And why doesn't PG&E bury the power service --- no trees to worry about then.
    Oh, I forgot, they're bankrupt.

W4POT and K3XR like this.
  6. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The state doesn't own the trees nor the power lines. The responsibility for vegetation management lies with PG&E, a private company. They are charged with operating the lines in a safe and reliable manner. It's not only trimming trees, it's also spotting and repairing arcing insulators and other unsafe line conditions.

In the distant past, PG&E had an active maintenance program. In more recent times, in order to reduce costs, they fell behind on maintaining the lines, with predictable results. Two years ago, there was a devastating PG&E-sparked fire that killed many in and around Santa Rosa. One year ago, there was an even more devastating fire that killed more people and virtually obliterated Paradise, CA.

PG&E now faces lawsuits over the fires that make them want to reduce their liability for future fires. But they are too far behind in maintaining the lines to catch up in a mere year or two. Thus, they shut the lines down.

7. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

ahh! what a wonderful place to live! Massive homelessness, fantastically high taxes, and power outages! Thankfully, they've banned straws and shopping bags!

W4POT, K8HIT, AG4RT and 4 others like this.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This isn't really political.

I agree some trees and a whole lot of "brush" always needed to be cleared, and still does. I can't envision the state being able to do this, it's an enormous undertaking and a really big state; this needs to be done more locally, and the utility companies need to lead the charge (wow, a pun!).

Here in L.A. where I am, the utility company LADWP does trim trees a lot; crews are out every single day, including weekends, doing just that and they don't need permission from property owners. They don't charge residents anything for this, but I'm sure we're paying for it somehow -- with the utility rates we pay (and there are taxes imposed on those rates, too).

But out there in the hinterlands, which is about 3/4 of the state, there are millions and millions and millions of trees and in many places very little population. Some trees, like Sequoias, don't burn. Nobody touches those and they live thousands of years. To die, they eventually just fall over.:p But some trees go up like a flare. Eucalyptus are scary. They're also not "native," they were imported to CA over 100 years ago and are now all over the place.

Bad idea.

9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

What was there to prevent Ca from passing legislation to require the trimming of trees as well as mandatory maintenance of the lines? Maybe they were too busy banning plastic straws.

W4POT and WF4W like this.
  10. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

and those are the good traits.

ND6M, WF4W and K3XR like this.