ad: Flexradio-1

Ham Radio - The Spiderbeam 18 meter or 60 foot telescoping mast.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Nov 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham Radio - The Spiderbeam 18 meter or 60 foot telescoping mast.

NA6Y, W5YZR, N6KV and 6 others like this.
  2. PY4KM

PY4KM Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh my God, being a ham in Brazil is very complicated.

3. N2RRA

N2RRA Ham Member QRZ Page

I decided two years ago to drop the mic and pick up the brass. Happy I did, so yeah. Get back into CW. It’s awesome. I do mostly QRP as well now when I decided I would drop the mic. Even though I am still QRO capable I enjoy QRP just as much. Glad you did this vid as I am a fan of your channel. Spider Beam 60ft. pole is gonna find a new home in my back yard.

W5TTW and AK5B like this.
  4. KA7RRA

KA7RRA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I liked your video it was very good

5. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Very good! A tip I can pass on after years of keeping a 10m pole up in frequent hurricane-force winds is to take your stay anchor points sufficiently far away that the angle with the pole is as gentle as possible. That way, the stress load during wind puts more of the strain in the horizontal plane, and less in the vertical. With steep guys, the vertical load tries to pull those sections downwards. Elevating the stay anchor points helps in this regard.

AK5B likes this.
  6. WA2OOO

WA2OOO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

7. KW1NG

KW1NG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have one supported by two short pieces of 3" drain pipe attached to the ladder on the back of my motorhome parked alongside my house; have a 43' vertical wire supported by it and a few radials, 4:1 UNUN at the base; works great. Collapse it when I want to move the motorhome and it goes with me..

N6WMD, GM0KET, N4GST and 1 other person like this.
  8. KJ4YQK

KJ4YQK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Cool ideal how secure the bottom. I just set up the TN07 antenna in my yard for testing. Plan on using the TN07 for camping.

9. HAYASHIBARA

HAYASHIBARA QRZ Member

Very interesting and informative video.

K3WDT likes this.
  10. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Good video, thanks!

This year at the Hamvention in Xenia that big Spiderbeam pole caught my attention too.

My imagined primary application would be for 160m, with a similar radiator wire run up with the pole, but with addition of top loading, either by symmetrical wires extending / shallow sloping out as far as possible from each side to roughly form a Marconi T; or with multiple wires at sharper inverted V angles (similar to the guy lines) forming a more classic Top Hat. This ought to also improve its operation on 630m.

IOW, sort of a more symmetrical vertical variation of the classic inverted L style "Battle Creek Special" often used on DX'peds.

Do you think some top loading like that could be safely added with really light gauge wire, or are the top sections just too flimsy?

73, John, WØPV

11. KO6KL

KO6KL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

lets see the bucket some more.

12. YV6BXN

YV6BXN Ham Member QRZ Page

real nice video just wonderful idea how secure the mast to base just have 40 and 60foot models 73 ,mel YV6BXN

13. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very nicely done. I feel inspired to try something like this now.