ad: SOTA-1

Ham Radio stores in the Buffalo, NY, area

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by VE3MDX, Sep 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-rl
  1. VE3MDX

VE3MDX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm planning a trip to Buffalo in a couple of weeks and I'm hoping it will give me the opportunity to browse a US ham radio store instead of my usual Canadian fare.

I've tried Google and ARRL's search but I'm not making progress.

I found a couple on Google, but when I used Google street view to check them out, they were clearly operating out of residences, one of which looked like a shack (in the non-radio sense of the word).

Surely there must be a ham radio retail outlet in the Buffalo area.

Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations please?

David.

2. WB2UAQ

WB2UAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello David,

I 've lived in Rochester,NY for over 7 years and have not heard of any amateur radio retail places in Buffalo,NY. I have been to Rochester Hamfest for > 10 years and again I don't remember hearing anything about Buffalo at the hamfest. There are none in Rochester but about 5 years ago there was an attempt. The closest thing now is Radio Daze in Victor but they are in the antique radio side of things.

You might want to inquire thru e-mail to the Rochester Amateur Radio Assoc thru our website at www.rochesterham.org for another check.

73, Pete, WB2UAQ

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember many years ago there was a ham radio retail store right inside Rochester (NY) airport! Golly, that must go back 25+ years ago.

I don't remember the name of the store, and I assume it's no longer there.

The older folks at Harris/RF probably remember it...

WB2WIK/6

4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

When I lived in Toronto, I used to travel across the border to get "good deals" because my dollar went further here (at that time electronics were cheaper to buy in the US) so I travelled to Buffalo on cross border "shopping trips" on a regular basis.

I've been to Hirsh's radio mart, CSV electronics, GLB Electronics and Saia Communications in Buffalo before.

Hirsh's has lots of new and used stuff. Lots of used gear but also carries a lot of widgets too like police scanners etc.. It's located in a residential home district off Main street (Highway 5 - Seaway Trail?)

It's not the same "radiomart" as that ebay guy you need to stay away from, that guy lives in Kentucky.

You can see Hirsh's website here:

http://www.radiomart.com/

CSV electronics store is more like a CB radio shop but he does carry things like high end antenna switches, meters, coax cable etc.. mobile radio electronics , antenna mounting stuff etc... He also sells on Ebay.

GLB electronics is owned by a ham operator (forget his call at the moment) and he primarily deals with repeater part electronics etc.

Saia Communications is the area "Motorola" go to place.

You can google the addresses. Hope that helps.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  5. VE3MDX

Thanks for all your help

Thanks everyone, for taking the time and trouble to reply to my request.

I'm surprised there are no larger dealers in the region, but now I know for sure exactly who is there.

David.

6. WB2WIK

Come to L.A. instead: We have three HRO stores, and Jun's Hamcity.

We also "used" to have Henry Radio....but they closed up a few years ago (pity).

But then Buffalo has all those great "hot wings.":p

7. VE3MDX

LA or Buffalo? Let me think...

I would love to come to LA. I haven't been there in 20 years.

Unfortunately Google tells me it's a 37 hour drive, while Buffalo is just over an hour.

So I guess it will be a pound of wings instead of a new transceiver.

David.

8. WB2WIK

The wings are good.

9. WB2UAQ

WB2UAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Charles,

Thanks for the info! These outfits are not talked about much over here in Rochester. I never heard of them. I will forward this info to the RARA hamfest commitee for next year. Maybe they can be persuaded to drive about an hour and a half. Lots of people ask about dealers when they come thru the entrance. Very few have shown up for about the last 5 years. 73, Pete

10. WB2WIK

Wow, I remember there used to be a pretty big "Rochester Hamfest" back in the 70s when in lived in NJ, and I drove to it at least twice. It was pretty big...not Dayton, but bigger than most of the "local" fests.

There were definitely "dealers" there, back then. And a lot of good components, probably many from Harris/RF hams who brought lab scraps for sale...but they were very good lab scraps, including high voltage transformers and capacitors, vacuum caps, stuff like that. I used to really enjoy that.

11. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

You bet Pete,

Also Steve makes a good point, ... The Hot Wings are to die for and a real treat if you decide to visit the Buffalo area. An acquaintance I knew when I lived in Canada who is also a truck driver told me about the place and we both went there one time on one of my cross border shopping excursions.

I can't recall exactly, but I am thinking that it's located somewhere off Niagara Falls Blvd. and then you drive to hwy 20 or something. Place looks like a truck stop coffee shop. Not a huge place at all. Anyways, that place has the best darn hot wings I ever had in my entire life. The exact location escapes me at the moment but the place doesn't look like anything special. Just an ordinary "Uncle Joe's Diner" kind of location. You definitely won't be disappointed and that experience is worth the trip all on it's own.

I googled "Uncle Joe's Diner" and for some apparent reason I am actually thinking that is the location.

Hope that helps.

My Best.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  12. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

GLB Electronics was founded in 1972 by Gilbert Boelke W2EUP (sk) in Buffalo, NY - W2EUP was their chief designer.
    After Gil's death the company was SOLD to Simrex Corporation.
    Simrex has a manufacturing and service facility in Lancaster, NY 14086
    The Sales and Enginering offices are in Gilbert, AZ
    http://www.simrex.com/site/compinfo/aboutus.htm

GLB made a number of kits and assembled units, such as packet node controllers,
    pre-selectors and the first synthesizers. A look at advertisements from that era --
    may provide some clues.

Documentation for the GLB preselectors can be found on the Repeater Builders web site.
    http://www.repeater-builder.com/othe...frs-index.html
    http://www.repeater-builder.com/glb/...d-p500-doc.pdf

Simrex still sells a preselector based upon Gil's original design (high praise for any designer/engineer)
    http://www.simrex.com/site/products/special.htm

Gil was probably best known for the Channelizer GLB 400 one of the first practical synthesizers
    for amateur radio in the early 1970s.
    http://www.repeater-builder.com/glb/...400c-front.jpg

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  13. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Was that store "HamBone Radio" or similar?

Yes, but Rochester has Red Fedele's Brook House; great homemade Italian food. :D

Unfortunately, there are few actual ham radio stores anywhere in the Northeast. KJI (in NJ) is where I have bought a bunch of stuff; they attend several hamfests each year.

14. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

15. WB2WIK

Yes, I know. But I lived there in the "great heyday" of amateur radio stores when there were dozens of them -- including really big ones:

Harrison Radio
    Barry Electronics
    Adirondack Radio
    Federated Electronics
    Trevose Hamtronics
    Delaware Amateur Radio Supply (at least, that still exists today, as HRO)
    Atkinson & Smith
    ...many others...one big one up in Harvard, MA whose name I cannot recall (W1IBY or something)...
    ...even Heathkit had stores full of ham radio equipment! We had a local one only three miles from my home in NJ.

When I first got my Novice ticket, "Radio Row" in Manhattan still existed. Not for very long, they started knocking it down to build the World Trade Center, and 1966-67 was pretty much "the end" of it. But I recall going there to shop for surplus goodies and the deals were absolutely remarkable. You could buy a "new" (well, WW2 surplus, but never used) ARC-5 for $10, or probably two for $15. FT-243 crystals were $.50 to $1 each, or "a handful" for $5. 807s were $.50 each, but 1625s were only a quarter -- all unused, in miltary cardboard packaging.

I had an endless supply of parts to homebrew almost anything, and if it would fit in a shopping cart, no matter what it was, the cart full would never be more than maybe $20-$25. Or less.

It was quite a time...

WB2WIK/6

16. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought I'd found you a dealer in Michigan, but I see he's retired since 2007.
    Wonder how long it would take you to get to Milwaukee - AES there is worth a visit. I'm not sure if there's anything close by in Ohio, for that matter.

17. VE3MDX

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be

My early days were spent in the UK and a short train trip to London brought me to a whole world of army surplus on Tottenham Court Road and adjoining streets. The stores were packed to the rafters with the most exotic devices that were "just what I needed" for some project or another. Looking back I have an awful feeling that most of those projects never got completed, some never started.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.