ad: cq2k-1

Ham Radio - Previous FLDigi MCW video deleted. A correction.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Nov 26, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham Radio - Previous FLDigi MCW video deleted. A correction.

2. W4XA

W4XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Howdy,

I didn't see your previous video. But if you suggested it was OK to use "MCW" with an SSB transmitter, you were right and wrong before.

MCW, audio, amplitude modulating a carrier (tones modulating a real AM transmitter either single or multi-shifting tones, amplitude A2, or frequency F2) is prohibited on HF.

You were just calling AFSK MCW. Single audio tone or AFSK is NOT modulated CW (A2, A2A, F2, F2A etc) when transmitted by an SSB transmitter that meets FCC requirements.

Single tone audio or using shifting tones (AKA AFSK, audio modulating a properly adjusted single sideband transmitter) produces a CW or FSK signal that ALSO meets FCC standards for spurious emissions IS legal............. IF the "carrier" and opposite "sideband" are more than 43dB (or 40dB or 30dB depending on date of manufacture) below the "mean power of the fundamental transmission".

Incidentally, 50mW is approx 43dB below 1000w (roughly 17dBm vs 60dBm) Therefore, if you were running 1500w output, with your IC7300 driving an amp, and carrier/opposite sideband suppression was only -43db below fundamental, the carrier and opp sideband would be at around 75mw making it "illegal"!

Icom claims
    Spurious emission Less than –50dB (HF bands), Less than –63dB (50MHz band)
    Carrier suppression More than 50dB
    Unwanted sideband More than 50dB

SO @1500w (61.761dBm) and - 50 dB means spurious emissions (assuming the amplifier doesn't add it's own!!) will be 61.761-50 = 11.761dBm OR 15mW ----- and well within legal requirements!!

For anyone that would like to make comparisons of different equipment, a dBm Watts convertor is useful

I used this one: https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/power/mW_to_dBm.html

Someone please check my math!

Cheers,

Rick