ad: CQMM-1

Ham Radio Now: Stranger Hams

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Jul 23, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

We review a new Netflix series titled Stranger Things that has a little ham radio (and a little more CB) involved in the story

And HamRadioNow has launched a KICKSTARTER to fund video production of the 2016 ARRL & TAPR Digital Communications Conference. Here's the video we made to promote the fundraiser:

2. W0RIO

W0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe it's time to sort out all of the good and bad videos that
    mention ham radio and come up with an annual award ceremony.

It could be called "the Hammies".

KA2CZU likes this.
  3. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

on your nitpick: "showing kids"

two thoughts:

1. It is absolutely necessary to use kids to attract kids. Not just a good idea, rather, a requirement
    2. I get the distinct impression that there are more kids involved outside of the US, than inside. Not sure about this.

Also, I *love* them showing a geeky homebrew straight key using a screwdriver :)

4. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The nit wasn't "showing kids," it was showing only kids. That was a very deliberate decision by the RSGB producer, and not a bad one at all. But an honest review needs to point out that it's not representative of the real world of ham radio. We're pretty aware that ham radio is in danger of aging out, but we still need to find a bunch of creative solutions to that problem. Maybe this was one?

5. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I understand the "nit" and my opinion is that this was a good, deliberate, decision by the RSGB producer!

Sort of like a better produced "kids only" show that runs on morning cable. Kids like seeing, hearing and watching ...kids. I think there's enough time for them to find out about reality :)

When I was a youngster, I had a club at the local (very local, thankfully) YMCA, at which I immediately bonded with...kids, in spite of the much larger group of older members.

If the RSGB can promote kids in the activity, and if their local clubs can help groups of them get together at, say, high schools (or whatever their equivalent schools are called? "secondary" or "normals"
    ... whatever :) ) then there is great chance these kids will stick with it!

It's all good... was just trying to continue the thought you started... :)