ad: Radclub22-1

Ham Radio Now: Learn More about DV4

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Jul 30, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

In in-depth talk with Wireless Holding's founder Uri Altvater AG0X/DH6SAB. The payoff is a lot of previously unreleased detail about the planned DV4mobile, a radio that promises to do all the VHF/UHF DV modes and much, much more.

Audio only
    (right-click to download)
    Subscribe to the audio podcast
    KICKSTARTER for DCC Video Coverage

AB3BO and KB0TT like this.
  2. AD4ZU

AD4ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

This would be fantastic if Gary would let his guest jump in.

N8KC likes this.
  3. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd be interested to know more about the (software) that runs the reflectors that allows users to cross communicate from DMR to D-Star etc.

The CCS7 idea is a step in the right direction in my opinion. And we need to start adopting this here in the states. I never was a fan of the D-Star Trust server approach.

4. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I found this amazingly educational... it filled in a lot of blanks on the evolution of D-STAR and other modes. The discussion of the various technologies was excellent, and pointed me in the direction of much more useful information. I am particularly intrigued by his 'futures' discussion on new modes that will soon be possible. Eight digital repeaters in the space of one analog FM machine with NO duplexers? It does sound like CCS7 is the way to go, at least until there is a CCS8 somewhere down the line.

5. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

May I refer you to K0RGR's comment above.

In this show I spend about 17 minutes on the usual intro stuff (and the KICKSTARTER), and then set the stage for the discussion. After that, Uli has about 70% of the time.

On my program I have conversations. There is an exchange. If I know something, I talk about it, and ask my guest to fill in their experience. If I don't know much, I ask questions, and try to follow up. Especially if I didn't understand the first time.

And here's the important part. I make the shows for me. Everyone else is welcome to come along for the ride. That's not going to change. Of course, I'm happy that a lot of people seem to like it. And I couldn't care less that a lot of people don't, because that comes with the territory.

This comment was just a pot-shot, a drive-by. It means nothing. Some viewers take time to send me a thoughtful analysis, and I take them to heart. I'll adopt an idea if I like it. But mostly I trust my own gut.

K9PLG, K3RW, W5SNA and 1 other person like this.
  6. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Gary,

It might be time to get Mike Dish and talk about TenTec. No real news out on him, just speculation these days.

Keep pumping power to the tower!

7. KC3BLF

KC3BLF Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought this was a great show. In fact, I have directed a few DStar folks to it from reflector QSO's. You also ask the questions most of us would ask (such as how much that mobile costs---yikes!). I also believe that digital is the future and that it's coming to HF eventually.
    Your guest seemed to have a TON of time to talk.