ad: UR5CDX-1

Ham Radio - Modulated CW with FLdigi, not A2A. How it works, and is it wider than regular CW?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Nov 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

If it really is an issue on a particular computer, then creating RTTY through the sound card would be even more of an issue on that same computer.

All sound card or other timing critical stuff is buffered and interrupt driven, to prevent things like disk access to interfere with that. Besides, disk access interferes far less than, say, 25 odd years ago since disk access is much faster now, and because disk access is not a blocking operation anymore. The OS prepares the buffers for data, sends a read or write request and goes on doing what it did before while the HDD or SSD processes the request and data "on its own". What you are describing was valid in the early days of ATA drives or its predecessors. Again, if disk access was a problem, it would be impossible to do any audio processing on a computer. Think of the music industry doing this all day long without problems.

2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If that's your experience, that's your experience. Mine is different. 73. ;)

3. KJ4YQK

KJ4YQK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great Thread, learn a lot. Thanks

4. WB9TH

WB9TH Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in the day when I went to the Dirksen Federal Building downtown Chicago to take the Elements to get my First Class Radiotelephone License, one could also test for Radiotelegraphy. Radiotelegraphy is known as CW in the Ham world.:eek:

5. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I am truly interested in your experience, since according to your QRZ page, you are using digital modes quite a lot.

6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think I've said everything I wanted to say or need be said on the subject, OM. Have a great week and 73 to you and yours! :)

7. WA8JXM

WA8JXM Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps a summary of the thread:
    -- If done right, it works and works well. Collins and Elecraft certainly did it well and some hams also do it well
    -- if done wrong (overdriving or poor quality audio), it can generate splatter or other spurious signals. Just like digital audio, including RTTY, transmitted via SSB can be good or bad.

Some rigs that do not use the audio route for CW tend to generate wide key clicks, so the "purist" approach isn't always clean either.

73, Ken WA8JXM

K9FV likes this.