ad: chuckmartin

Ham Radio Deluxe Version 6.4.0.777 Released with Discount

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WA9PIE, Aug 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. AE5OX

AE5OX Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had trouble with hrd from day one .I bought this almost two months now and have had problems the only things workings is rigcontrol .I can't get logbook or anything else to work.I've called several times asking for help with no results. It seams I wasted my money and time . maybe I'll find a program somewhere that will work properly. I'm not going to contact hrd anymore .I just wasted my money. Dr.W.L.Clark. ae5ox.

2. KT4NR

KT4NR Ham Member QRZ Page

I think a Mac version would be great. I used the freeware for a long time. Right now I am not on other than mobile but the only reason I kept any windows machines in the house was, frankly, HRD. If you can keep the simplicity of the front end and keep fix bugs, and overcome issues moving to Mac OS then I would definitely pay. It'd let me get rid of these obnoxious Windows 10 boxes in the house. :D

3. K5KNM

K5KNM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wasn't aware JT Alert can auto log to QRZ also. Thanks for the tip. I'll check into that.

Your API key can be found in the settings page after you open your QRZ log. There you'll see your API key number. Copy that and paste it where you found it on JT Alert to add API key.

This API key is the same one needed to share logs between QRZ and HRD.

I use JT alert for auto upload to HRD then before closing down, I upload and send to both QRZ and LOTW from there.

4. K5KNM

K5KNM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not to hijack thread but I can't find any settings in JTAlert that lets you configure logs to QRZ. I just downloaded the latest version 2 days ago. Where did you see this?

5. W5JPT

W5JPT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It doesn't. It posts to QRZ through HRD Logbook.

6. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

my older programs work fine in my LENOVO SL500 HRD 5.22-68 and the HRD 5.24-68 works great in my LENOVO S100.

7. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

So is remote working on this version? In the manual it talks about DM780 being used for audio, but I can't find any more info on it. The manual I have isn't very specific on how to set this up. I do not want to use Skype. I have tried RemAud and it works.

Any info using DM780, tutorials, is greatly appreciated.

8. WB6OZD

WB6OZD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been demo'ing this software for the last couple of weeks. I'm bummed that they didn't send out an e-mail notifying of the discount available. :(

K0PIR likes this.
  9. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

I would ask for the discount.

10. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

First, I'd like to apologize for the length of this posting. If I'd had more time, it would have been shorter :)

I wrote my first program almost 50 years ago. It was 1969 and we used pre-printed punched cards that were assembled into a "deck" which was fed to the computer. Although the program I wrote ran, I never got to see the computer itself. I did, however, get to see the successful printout.

It's nearly unbelievable how much computers and programming has changed since then. For those of us who were actively involved, every year would bring about new techniques, new languages, new hardware, and new operating systems. Each one was built upon knowledge accrued by its predecessors and today, the art of programming bears no resemblance to what it was only a few short years ago.

Over the years I've learned enough about many topics and as a result, I've become quite a handyman. I can build and/or repair just about anything, be it electronic, mechanical or just plain nuts and bolts. Heck, when I see a nice house it wouldn't be a stretch for me to think "I could build that....", if given an ample supply of lumber and nails. I suspect that large numbers of those reading this could say the same. Basically, most of us have been taught, if not educated, by what's available in Home Depot and we're led to believe that if we had the time and funds, we could build just about any structure whose parts could be purchased there.

Now, contrast that with software development. What if one could gather a set of programming tools and a couple of test computers and some radio equipment and then ask for volunteers to step forward and create a program which would compete with HRD? Care to venture a guess as to how many people would be up to the task? QRZ has nearly 700,000 members and I would not expect that more than a dozen of them would have the skills necessary to do it. Those who can are already employed and even then their ultimate success would depend on having the business and management acumen to make the new product a success. Finding a talented software engineer AND a good businessman in one package is rare. Finding a talented engineer, businessman, and ham radio enthusiast in that same package reduces the selection set of available candidates to single digits.

Look at what happened to HRD: it's creator, Simon, was a technology genius but a poor businessman. Rick, who once worked for Microsoft, was the next person to take on the task. Rick had business and programming skills, but had other shortcomings that hampered his success. Mike, HRD's new leader, has extraordinary credentials and business skills, but isn't a programmer. This is probably the best thing for HRD as no matter what, you need a good, solid leader who knows and can identify the shortcomings in the business and take the steps to correct it.

The programming work involved is extraordinarily complex. Software has a knack for taking very complex problems and making their solutions look simple. A simple Google search for "cat toys" executes more software than I have written in my entire career. This feat took talented people tens of thousands of hours to perfect. Perfection, however, is a direction, not a goal because with a program containing more than 100,000 discrete, hand written instructions is bound to have a dud or two in it. Think of it, out of 100,000 simple, basic instructions (like A+B=C), one bad command comprising not more than 0.001% of the whole program, can ruin the whole thing. It sounds unfair, right? Your program is 99.999% correct, and yet a failure. We're talking about things as insignificant as a punctuation mark, a period, or a comma misplaced, can crash the program.

It's time that users everywhere begin to appreciate just how difficult the task of programming is, and how remarkable it is when a large, complex program is able to exist. The skills and experience required to write a program like HRD are simply HUGE, and in this entire world of ham radio I personally know only a handful individuals who are capable of doing it. Right now, a program such as HRD would need at least two years of full time work by an extraordinarily talented person to create from scratch. Why would it take so long? Well, consider that any program you write must run on hundreds of _different_ computers, each having different capabilities and the program must run _concurrently_ with other unrelated services like email, web browsing, word processing, etc.. You can't just write a program that works, it must co-habitate with other things running on the end user's computer.

Finally, I see a large number of users who don't think that a programmer's talents are worth paying for. It's shocking, in many ways. Perhaps that's because we've become used to the idea that apps are free and that software is disposable. Big business makes us feel that way because it serves them. That stupid pizza ordering app from Dominoes probably had more money spent on its development than all of the work put into HRD thus far. It just makes sense to spend half a million dollars developing an App that will be distributed to hundreds of thousands of users and be capable of generating millions of dollars in pizza orders per day.

HRD, for all that it does, will never have a million users. It will probably struggle to reach a tenth of that. There is no team of programmers and no multi-million dollar conglomerate to finance their development. Good programmers are paid at least $40 per hour and are likely worth twice as much. Do the math. Two years of development work by one crack engineer will set you back at least $200,000 as an employer. As a conservative estimate, one would need about a million dollars to write a new HRD from scratch using hired help. Then, people would expect you to give the program away for free.

Software isn't like the cheap crap you buy at Walmart. There isn't a "less expensive version" that does the same job for half the price. Cheap software is absolutely worth what you pay for it. That isn't to say that expensive software is better. Sometimes, that one single misplaced semi-colon will still reduce the whole thing to the scrap heap. Only time and use can prove the ultimate worth of a program. HRD has proven itself to be extremely capable and competitive in the market that it plays in. There are some alternatives to HRD, and even some that are free, but these ultimately fall on the shoulders of one of those extraordinary individuals that I mentioned above and many times it is a labor of love. As long as the author is alive and interested in the hobby, you may enjoy using their product. If, however, they lose interest (like Simon), or (God forbid), pass away, then you will be looking for a replacement.

Rick, for all of his foibles, stepped up and did the ham radio community a favor. He purchased a dead, neglected but popular program from Simon and brought it back to life. Had Rick not done this, we wouldn't be having this discussion now because HRD would be just another piece of obsolete software on the junk table at a swap meet. I'm not really interested in hearing from those of you who still use the original version of HRD, even though you may be happy with it. You are running a system that is on borrowed time and even though at your age it may not matter, it does matter to those of us who continue to ride on the forward edge of technology. The original "free" version of HRD was frozen a decade ago, which makes it officially antique in the software world.

So, before we grumble and gripe about paying for HRD, stop for a second to realize just how much you're getting for your money. For $100 you're getting the combined efforts of dozens of highly talent people and access to a span of work that took decades to develop. You're getting a team of people, not just one guy, all of whom are committed to making the product a success.

It's time that we all started valuing software, just like we value knobs, buttons, and fancy screens because without it, knobs and buttons are good only for jewelry. If you are an HRD user, you're already in the digital age and as such, you need to realize that there is no equivalent to antique radio hardware. Sure, you can dust off a 50 year old Collins radio and put it right on the air, immediately. This will NEVER happen with software. In 50 years, the "Free" version of HRD will look like a spark gap transmitter does today. You simply won't want to use it, even if you could.

K7ZCZ, AC8AZ and WB6OZD like this.
  11. WD8ED

WD8ED Ham Member QRZ Page

I've also had my issues with HRD and the previous folks. I do also think that Mike is on the right path. But IMHO they aren't there yet.

1. Still no correct API to rig control published. Last I checked, the HRD support site still had a software API for and incompatible version of HRD posted as the current API. This has been pointed out to HRD. Before and after management changed. I believe more than once. Still not addressed. This API is what other developers use to make their software work with HRD. You'd think that would be a priority. Especially with developers dropping HRD support.

2. Bug submission. I still can't figure out how to be a "non-subscriber" and submit a bug. Apparently HRD only concerns themselves with bug reports from people that pay them every year via a "support Ticket" process. Maybe I'm wrong. If so, the process needs to be made clear on the support site.

3. The support forums aren't very good. It's supposed to be "user based support". But when most of the issues are software bugs or coded errors, it's hard for users to support one another. Most of the time questions go responded. More than once, I'd get a reply or a direct email from others having the same problem that also haven't been able to get support via the site.

4. I don't like paying for software where I have to pay for true support after only a year. In the past, when updates were few and far between this was a big issue.

5. Total coat of ownership is very high if you want to be able to actually get new features and real support. Under the current plan, a new user that just buys the software gets the same software as somebody that has bought the software several years ago and continued paying the annual fees for support. At this point a that means a ham could already have maybe $300 dollars into HRD software and counting up. At what point should a customer be at a maximum amount invested level of investment? What if you buy the software and the support for several years? You have hundreds of dollars in software that is now feature frozen and you can't even submit a bug report! Really? There really should be a lifetime limit for the cost of support.

6. Rig Control Development on old radios appears to be abandoned for new radios. Which is fine to a degree, but there are often some areas in the old radios that could use some improvements. Rig Control Menus and Macros in the FTdx3000 is an example. When I started adding custom controls for my FTdx3000 I ran into program limitations before got Rig Control where I wanted. It made me wonder if anybody actually tried doing what I was doing when they developed the controls for that rig. This issue probably extends to other radios. You can see where they were going. But they moved on before getting there.

7. Bug Submission! The logbook should run without the rig control running. Mine doesn't. Once Logbook fails connection with the rig control program logbook freezes and eventually fails. I can reliably make this bug occur.

There is more but the point is there are still some old items that aren't being addressed. IMHO these are the kind of things that can add up and make a difference when it comes time to buy the software or support.

I'm just trying to help with real feedback!

Thank you,

Ed
    WD4ED

12. WD8ED

WD8ED Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been a Linux guy since all of the version numbers were decimal places only and it only came on a stack of mail ordered CDs. It's a great OS. I used Linux about 25 years ago setting up an dial on demand, TCP/IP over packet gateway. Nodes on VHF, UHF and HF. I was a Technician, Administrator and Engineer for U.S. Navy tracking systems for about 20 years. Early systems were HP-UX 9 and 10. Then eventually Linux-RT and Linux. I'm a UNIX guy at heart! That said.....

The Linux application software for ham radio is mostly partially completed crap. Every few years I take a computer and dedicate it to a couple distros for ham radio use. Spend days learning all of the latest quirks and kinks of the latest cool distros, then run the software for a while... then reformat the drive and reinstall the latest windows. Why? Because I'm past wanting to hack on computers as a hobby. I want my hobbies to be my hobbies. My computer is now a tool. Not a toy.

I stop and look back to how far Linux has come in the last 25 years or so and I'm not impressed. And it's not the OS that's the problem. It's the development and applications. Back in the day dependencies were only an occasional issue. Holy Cow are they an issue now! If you don't learn to master that particular distro's package manager you will probably fail. If you want to run the latest and greatest software... well that might now work out for you either. Granted, spend enough time with problems you can probably figure them out.... if your a real computer person. SDR support will have to greatly improve before Linux can be taken seriously as a Ham Radio operating system. Yeah, I know there are some out there banging their heads trying to stay away from windows. But my time in my radio hobby is for radios and electronics. Not spending it all hacking away on poorly developed or incomplete software. Mac has a similar problem.

Mike, avoid Linux for now! There back on topic!

Thanks,

Ed

13. KJ4TX

KJ4TX Ham Member QRZ Page

Ed, I've been running HRD logging as a stand alone for some time (at least a couple of versions). I run it with WSJT-X and JT-Alert. I start it up by itself and it goes through it's startup asking me to download some database updates and it does give me an error message that the main program isn't working, but I just click ok and it is up and running. I can upload and download contacts to LotW and do a number of other things. Other than the one error message at the beginning I've not had any problems running it stand alone on two different computers. I don't know what is different between my setup and yours, but I've not seen the bug you are talking about.

Mike

14. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Thank you for your comments. We will close the discussion now.

KA9JLM likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.