Ham Radio Deluxe Support hacked my computer

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2SUB, Dec 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. N2SUB

N2SUB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I opened a support ticket with HRDSOFTWARE, and was told that I needed to download and install the latest build of version 6.22, and then they would be able to provide support. I followed their directions, and once the download was installed the program started, displayed the splash screen and then completely shut down. I reported this in the ticket, and got an IMMEDIATE response:

"I'm sorry, but your support has expired and we are unable to provide any further support.

We would also like to request that you NOT RENEW your support nor use our software due to the review you placed on eHam back in September. Remember that? http://www.eham.net/reviews/review/143372

Good luck, and 73 HRD Tech Support"

I called the support line and asked them to explain what they were doing, and they informed me that I was blacklisted and the file they directed me to download blocked the software on my computer from running. TWO DAYS LATER, THEY CONTACTED ME AND STATED THEY WOULD UNLOCK MY SOFTWARE IF I REMOVED THE REVIEW I POSTED.

I have a right to my opinion, and they have the right to refuse me service. However, knowingly and maliciously planting a file on my computer that caused it to malfunction is a cyber crime. At their direction, I downloaded what amounts to a trojan horse virus and lost the use of my software. I've filed complaints with the State of Florida and with the US Government, both of whom take these matters seriously. I'm also in the process of contacting all of their retailers to share this story. Meanwhile my software is dead and I'm out the money I've spend on the original version and upgrades.

When a company attempts to stifle a customer who posted a negative review, you have to ask yourself what is really going on. With the mixed reviews I've seen, I can't be the only one they've done this to. Whether you love HRD or you're not so crazy about it, do you believe that this is the kind of company you want to give your hard-earned money to?

Best 73

WA6YPV, KO2LA, SA6CKE and 11 others like this.
  2. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

jackson-im-just-here-to-read-the-comments-72.jpg

SA6CKE, AA5AZ, MM1PTT and 2 others like this.
  3. K6BSO

K6BSO Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

K1BQY, MM1PTT, W8ZNX and 3 others like this.
  4. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think I'll be doing any business with them!

N1FMV likes this.
  5. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

You just got slapped!
    Third Hand Slap.gif

MM1PTT and NL7W like this.
  6. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Never pick a fight with the people who write the software on your computer."

-apologies to Mark Twain.

[​IMG]

WB8NUT, K1BQY, K5PHW and 2 others like this.
  7. K0MB

K0MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If your report of these events is true, this is outrageous behavior. Please keep us informed.

K6FNI and N2SUB like this.
  8. N2SUB

N2SUB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

N9PBD and AD0JA like this.
  9. K5EDI

K5EDI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just wanted you to know.. I doubt that they will be sending you a Christmas Card this year.. IMO this is pretty sad to see, not what I you would want to see for customer support.. Sad thing is you had to buy the software, and that 100 bucks stings a little.. I know there is two sides to every story so hope you get it all squared up.. I have not used windows 10 but my elmer specifically stated that windown 10 updates will kill software out of the blue. Known problem I was told.. I will run 7 until it goes end of life or something stable is forced on me.. Stand tall with your issues and hopefully you will get them figured out. Might want to spend some time with DXLAB and go with something that is very powerfull and I might add is FREE..

Prosise

NZ5F and N2SUB like this.
  10. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

The last I heard, QRDead and the people at HRD have a cozy relationship. I wouldn't be surprised to see this thread go missing, regardless of whether the story is true or not.

I will say this: If any software company is holding their software and support hostage over a less than flattering review, they're vindictive little $h!ts.

BANDRUNNER, SA6CKE, KC8TCQ and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.