ad: elecraft

Ham Radio Deluxe 6.0 Preliminary Features List Released

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6R, Mar 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB1VP

KB1VP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Glenn,

Thanks for your post.

Don
    KB5VP

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

17 Deleted Post ?

Are there a bunch of bad boys on this frequency ?

My dial does not say 14.313.

Watts up ?

3. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

WLX:

I'm using the latest version and have no problem with the rotor interface. I have to specifically choose long path, otherwise it picks the short path. The rotor program works just as fine as ever for me. The one problem I have is the latest Green Heron controller is not fully supported so HRD doesn't read the controllers position. That means I have to look at the controller to see my heading. Not a big deal really.

4. NN5AA

NN5AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Kudos to both the gentlemen who purchased the rights to HRD from Simon, and to Fred for allowing it to be showcased here at QRZ. $ 60 per year, even if every year, is only $ 5 per month.

One less cup of coffee per day, or 1 less trip to Starbucks a month.

If you are a smoker, one less cigarette a day will save you a pack a month and then some, more than enough to cover the fee for HRD, on a monthly basis.

2 less rentals at the video store, or 2 less bags of potato chips a month. They are bad for you anyway.

Check and adjust your air presure in your vehicle's tires, and you will probably save much more than $ 5 a month on gas savings alone.

Turn off lights when you leave the room, and you should have a smaller electric bill, just maybe $ 5 or more in savings doing that.

One less large extra thick butterscotch malt with butterfinger chunks.

There are so many ways to save $ 5 dollars a month, it's downright mind boggling!!

I'm still logging by hand in a log, but with changes on the way this year in the way of children moving out and on with their respective lives, a bevy of new home-brewed dipoles and loops, and an actual rather spacious room downstairs next to my basement workshop, I plan to be on the air much more frequently, and for extended periods when I am. Having worked with various types of software for over 36 years now, the price for what this program can do is miniscule compared to some other packages I've worked with, and have purchased. Alyuda NeuroIntelligence is $ 497.00 per single user copy, and for all that it does is much less complex than HRD was, is, or will be. $ 60 is a steal!!

73, NN5AA--Vince

Even old 286 pc's can be useful, for certain things. You only upgrade when you decide to get fancy!!

5. KG4WLX

KG4WLX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

W4PG, In the previous version if I looked up your call at the "add my logbook" screen, it dropped in your call & at the "locator" box it showed this string for your station direction: 172 (heading) / 564 (miles). Now with the newer version the string reads 172/352 564. If my rotor heading was at 300 from a previous call, and I'm trying to reach you at 172, when I click on the heading string the rotor now turns to 352, not 172 like it used to. What I'm trying to do is get the rotor heading to only show one heading direction, not both. (Try it with my call KG4WLX and preset your rotor 120 first. Instead of your rotor going to 352 it will go to 172 1st. Thanks. Doug

PS The entire locator string "highlights" when you put the mouse on it. It would be OK if you could choose which heading to click (long or short path), but you can't.

6. G4SGX

G4SGX Ham Member QRZ Page

As a programmer I can see the benefits, firstly you have support which is absent mostly in free disto's.
    I know whats it like for Simon, starts off as a labour of love then users get serious. The fact that its SO widely used is a testament to the code, too many bugs and it easily gets a bad name.
    I personally love the waterfall, better than most I've encountered.
    Good luck the the chap that bought the code, I hope it earns you a good living, which is all anyone wants and is entitled to surely. If he starts buying small islands for holidays then that's another thing!
    i KNOW the source code is out of reach, BUT if there was an API framework to 3rd party programmers could interface with HRD, that would spawn a whole new thing, that COULD be open-source and secure its place as the most popular Ham software suite... There will always be other free programs with no support apart from forums for those financially challenged but technically able..
    Good luck, I wish you success..

7. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it's a valid criticism to say that this announcement was a little confusing.

Maybe I just take things too literally but it talks about a list being announced so I immediately went looking for the list and couldn't find it. It took me a while to realize that the next paragraph is the list, sort of.

I was confused by the first announcement too. It talked about being free to "users registered on the HRD website" so I went looking for a place to register but... there is nowhere to register on the HRD website and registration wasn't necessary anyway. Anyone can just click on the download link.

Clarity is important.

That said, I'm looking forward to the new versions. I haven't bought it yet but probably will before the introductory price expires.

8. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Let the dust settle. It'll all work out. In spite of it's professional potentials, it's still amateur radio after all.

Good luck all. Let's start a new thread and let this horse die?

9. K7PT

K7PT Guest

One thing I don't understand in all this. The new owners have promised that V6.0 would be available for a free trial period of 30 days. So, why are people paying up front?

Playing Russian Roulette?

Try it during the demo period and if it seems worth the price, buy it. If not, go on with V5.0 and quit the complaining.

10. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Well one interface we have in 6.0 DM-780 is the folllowing

http://www.timewave.com/support/SnapIns/index.html

This allows you to write your own modes form DM-780 and they will show up on the drop downlistbox

The other is a shared memory interface which will be able to pass info via each program. We're using that for the DM-780 to ROC interface.

Also, Simon did a logbook DLL interface.. so we have lots of options for HRD 3rd party stuff....

Rick - W4PC

11. W4PG

That's odd!

When I look up a call, the "details" section returns the distance and bearing to the station. Putting in your call returns "907 kms, 353 deg." (actually is shows the small deg circle thingy, which I don't have the code for in front of me to put into this text). When I move the mouse cursor over those numbers, they all highlight and when I click it, my rotor turns to 353 deg. I only have one bearing to click on, not both short and long path. Maybe there is an option to change this setting . . . will look around some.

I'm running Version 5.11, Build 3216. I thought this was the latest version ? ? ?

12. N8VKX

N8VKX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm glad to hear this news. I use HRD 5.11 and really like the program. I'm just hoping that they'll keep supporting 5.11 after 6.0 is out and running. I like "free" programs due that I have very limited funds and I'd hate to loose HRD support.

13. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Any support you get will have to be paid for. Right now $60 buys you support and free upgrade to HRD 6.0. If you wait until May, $80 will buy you HRD 6.0 with support for 1 year. You will be required to pay a yearly fee of $40 to gain continued support.

Now here is a challenge for you....go visit their website, and find a link to support.

14. W4PG

You are looking for a support link for a product that is not out yet? Seriously??

15. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

No, for 5.11. N8VKX's question was support for 5.11. I can't find it. Can you? $60 pays for support and upgrades to 5.11 and then the upgrade to 6.0. Heck maybe it is me......I've looked. Maybe W4PC can tell us where it is at. There is some pretty good user support here on QRZ and some other sites. Here is one--> http://forums.hrdsoftwarellc.com/ I'm not sure who provides the site but it looks pretty good.

BTW, I tried out HRD 5.11 and it works very well. I still won't use it because I would only use it for rig control and I'd rather turn my own knobs, but I will continue to recommend HRD to others.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.