ad: Radclub22-1

Ham Radio Deluxe 6.0 Preliminary Features List Released

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6R, Mar 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred , I could play the Violin if You would like.

Maybe that would keep everyone from whining. Give them something else to complain about.

Complaining, will do nothing to make HRD better.

Its like the Ham radio , If people don't like what they hear, That is what the Frequency Dial and ON-OFF button is for.

2. K1TEX

K1TEX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Guys this has been real entertaining for me. I've never posted here before but this thread is just too much to resist.
    I guess to me there are two points to my thread. If you don't want to pay for HRD6 don't buy it. You can still use 5.11,
    or whatever it is, till the cows come home. I was looking for a lower price point but that didn't happen, but I also haven't
    been using HRD but was thinking about it. This mentality about free is what has wrecked a lot of musicians, now the kids
    feel like free music is owed them, just because they can download it. Music, movies, software have one thing in common;
    they cost something to produce. Writing software is one of the things I do for a living, so I know how expensive it can be.
    HRD had a code base to start from and that helps, but the new guys had to buy it.
    The mentality, that because it's Ham Radio it should be free or absurdly cheap, is nice but not always realistic.

Same applies to this thread. This is AA7BQs sandbox and I'm glad he provides it. I would only hope he gives other software
    the same coverage and is equally tolerant to people's behavior. To most people this is known as fair and from what I've
    read thus far, I think he does a pretty good job of it.

3. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

____ IBTL ____

4. KF6ABU

KF6ABU Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. It's like watching a building burn down.

5. W2TMD

W2TMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Simon was a man who wrote software and decided to share it with the ham community.

The difference here is these gentleman own a software company and decided to swallow up HRD and make a profit. Not a bad thing at all. My feeling is they are here to make a buck. Never said it was a bad thing. Just calling an obvious duck a duck. And stating that when a free program goes pay. People will talk and/or move on to other programs. :)

Strange seeing others that don't agree getting all upset and fired up I must say.

6. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

No insult at all, but it's one of my pet peves...

And no one gets kickback from HRD... that's really amazing you would come to that conclusion.. wow ;)

7. W9CW

W9CW Ham Member QRZ Page

And, Mr. KC2TMD, would you work at your occupation for nothing, or for free. Rick, et. al., code for a living, not for fun. Perhaps some amateur manufacturers and vendors should start attacking the wages that some within the ham community earn???

If you research the vast majority of existing manufacturers or vendors in this micro-industry, practically all of their "founding fathers" are hams. Non-ham entrepreneurs would never enter this industry, as the margins are too slim and the customer service load (and, complaining) is substantial. Makes me wonder why we have ANY amateur radio industry remaining...

The next time I require a plumber, I'm going to ask him to do the work for free!

8. VE7DCW

VE7DCW Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh cool!! ...... looks like I'm going to make 5 thread Worked All Locked Thread (5TWALT) honour roll ..... my official IB4TL

So,with that,to all, GL in the contest!! :cool:

9. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Several of you are itching for a LONG vacation from posting here. Take this childish behavior elsewhere. Consider this a simple warning. Next, the banhammer falls.

10. W2TMD

Not at all Sir. Your missing the point. So I'll try to explain myself. If you go from freeware to pay to play people will most likely have something to say about. Especially a program like this that has been free for so long.

Once again. Never said it was a bad thing to make a profit. But to make a case saying this is not for money seems far fetched to me. That's all. Coding software for download for a professional coder doesn't cost that much. And there will sure be profit for the coder selling the program. Very low cost of sale. Most of the program coding is all ready done. And its not like they are selling a CD version and are in need of a publisher and distributor. Truth is. I don't know what the have planned for the future. Maybe they plan to have operators standing by 24 hours a day for tech support. But best of luck to them.

PS. Only reason I bothered to read this thread is for the preliminary features list for 6.0 as the title says. But there is no list. Which to me seems miss leading. When asked by many in the thread about the list. There is no reply what so ever. Hope there tech support doesn't respond in that manner. I would be a bit scared to by a program from people who are miss leading and don't respond to questions.

Any way. I have said to much. I wish not to derail this thread and All the Best to the new owners of HRD. Make Simon proud. He deserves it.

11. W4PG

The 3rd paragraph of the OP says "Ham Radio Deluxe v6.0 will include . . .". It then goes on to list them.

Is there a full moon tonight or have I missed the rapture? While I understand some folks are upset that a previously free program that one can STILL GET FREE is going to be updated and require one to buy it, I can not understand why perfectly good English is not comprehended by some.

...........Bob

12. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Unless I overlooked it one thing that has not been mentioned.
    Now that HRD has gone commercial

Is it going to be a per user or per computer fee?

If somebody buys/registers a copy and installs in on their home computer

Then

Decides they want to run it on a laptop out in the field for their own use.

does that mean they have to register and pay for another copy
    or are they good to go?

13. W2TMD

Hi Mr Bob. Please let me explain. You wrote and I quote "HRD Software, LLC is pleased to announce a preliminary list of features for Ham Radio Deluxe v6.0, due to be released in time for the Dayton Hamvention."

This suggest the list itself is going to be due out in time for Dayton. This should read: " HRD Software LLC is pleased to announce a preliminary list of features for Ham Radio Deluxe v6.0.The SOFTWARE is due to be released in time for the Dayton Hamvention." This would get the writers point across better.

Further more. The list you gave is a 3 sentence paragraph of only 7 very vague categories. Most of the people that read about this new version of HRD for the first time like I am don't know what to expect Sir. Is it a major software and program change? Will the software have a new look etc. So from what I read. Some people and myself included expected to see a 30 or 40 line list as you mentioned. LOL

So forgive me for not following HRD V6. I never was a good ham and I don't read these boards or post much. Most of the time it's nonsence like this thread. And after reading this thread. I don't believe I will ever have much interest in reading them in the future. Even the Moderator has a tude. LOL
    By the way BOB. I always thought If your name was Richard you were a DICK not a BOB. Is Bob your nick name ?

Take care and all the best. 73
    Vinny

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  14. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Why Not ? That does not sound right.

15. W4PG

Vinny, the very first paragraph you wrote is entirely wrong. I did not write or quote anything that you attributed to me.

This thread is about preliminary changes in HRD version 6. Those changes are clearly listed in the OP for all to read.

...........Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.