ad: ARR

Ham Radio Analytics

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AB4EJ, Apr 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. N3WVB

N3WVB Ham Member QRZ Page

With everything I have seen and read, the next 3 cycles will make Cycle 24 look like a Buffet of DX
    Feeling fortunate I started in the hobby during the late 60s
    Have amazing memories to last me during those Band Closed Years :(

[​IMG]

2. MM0TWX

MM0TWX Ham Member QRZ Page

The system is SPEC-TA-CU-LAR, and the analysis most interesting. Thank you so much. As a reflection, again and again this shows how the cluster has radically changed this very significant portion of the ham radio hobby.

73 Pete MM0TWX

3. AB4EJ

AB4EJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, yes, yes! We should all do that, regardless of the tech. This project was just for fun. I do find it useful to have a look at current stats to see what bands are open, to know whether it is a good time to jump on to 6 meters, or some other band that is not often open.

4. AB4EJ

AB4EJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, here is something that you can do with the site: if you look at the trend line for the last 2 hours (http://dxdisplay.caps.ua.edu/History/Index2) you can see what band seems to be on the upswing. Then, picking that band, you can bring up the map, filter on the band of interest, and see if any ops in your area are reporting DX coming from the geographical area you wish to work. This is similar to predictive policing, where you can use analytics to forecast where crimes are likely to occur next, and then send officers to patrol that area more heavily (one can argue that this practice deters crime in that area but merely moves it somewhere else; but that is a discussion for a different forum!).... anyway, I have found it useful in DX contests, to be able to see what regions are starting to become hot. (Note that this counts as "assisted" in many DX contests).

5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

IOW, it doesn't predict the future. It's no better than practical experience and if it was, there'd be no excitement. No thanks.

6. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Entering arguments: 0915z, Coffee (black)
    Query: What station is waiting to talk to me? ;)

Ummm, wow. Thanks for developing this interesting new tool. b.

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been tracking 6m in exactly the same way for 5 years, and gotten down to the granularity of which days favor Europe, and which favor Carib/SA.

The danger to that is it does become a bit biased, is 'noisy', and self fulfilling but I have to admit its worked on this path from Boston. This data has been used to plan vacations, trips, and so on.

6M is cool. Join us! Es Season in NA starts in the next 5 weeks or so, peaks in late June/early July, and usually dies here by mid August.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The important thing about the DX cluster is you have to ADD spots, not just USE them:)

KG7OG likes this.
  9. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is great data, I think the entire worldwide ham community should thank you. If you only use DX Clusters, you may be missing the potential contacts that could be made but not active. While clusters are good, WSPR beacons operating on all bands 24/7. If somehow that data could be included, a product showing even POTENTIAL CONTACTS might be developed. Nothing negative implied to your fine work, just thinking about how things COULD be. Thanks again

Dave, K3FHP

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The dynamic of the DX Cluster will change, fairly soon, as JT65 becomes a major mode. You can see it already: compare JT65 spots now with those of 2 years ago.

Nothing wrong with that: but JT65 probes a different level of DX prop so you have to understand that future bias in the 'big data'. Another such bias--based on spots-- is that more stations will be on JT65 than phone (outside of contests) probably by next year.

Lotsa trends...not just prop, but our OTA reaction to it.

KK4HPY and W0PV like this.