ad: Alphaant-1

Ham Radio - An end fed half wave antenna with built in counterpoise. (Experimental)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Aug 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I ran an 66 foot end fed #14 stranded wire in an apartment setting with good success. I built a link coupled parallel network tuner for it and it tuned 40-10 meters.

It was a 5 watts QRP station using CW. But I did build a small amplifier that ran 16 watts.

A 49:1 BALUN with speaker wire will probably let the smoke out.

WN1MB likes this.
  2. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Use eye protection.

W1YW and K0UO like this.
  3. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

It's just a Zepp with a shorter matching section which makes it have a higher feedpoint impedance requiring a transformer.

4. KE2EH

KE2EH Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a standard way of correctly feeding a "Zepp" antenna and this is not it!!

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

...because its not a Zepp.

Jeez,

This stuff is old.

The point is the video shows newbies a way of end feeding an OCD or long wire....

6. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

I enjoyed the video as there was a minimum of "uhhh" and general bloviation like may ham vids. It was clearly presented.

KK5R and W1YW like this.
  7. K5FZ

K5FZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My rig can generate RF or smoke...but not both...

I'm gonna avoid the short counterpoise and the 49:1 balun in order to avoid the smoke.

K0UO, DG6JS and AF4RK like this.
  8. AF4RK

AF4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like to point out that a light bulb was used as a "successful antenna" to work all continents. It's just that its really hard to make a good dummy load
    AF4RK

DG6JS and KR3DX like this.
  9. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was young and moved around I tossed a random plastic covered wire over a tree and hooked to a Dentron Junior. I worked out surprisingly good on the limited bands I used. No gimmicks just tuned a good match.

10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup. Keeping it simple. No reinventing the wheel.

In a second floor apartment. 60' of magnet wire out the window and over a tree for the radiator. 30' of magnet wire stapled to the interior room wall for a counterpoise. Basic L-network. HW-8. Works. Plenty of contacts, though I freely admit to not overloading many receiver front ends. ;)

11. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

In England, hitting it with 1.5kW is not gonna happen because they are limited on the output power. But I've run ununs at 100W levels for years with no problem. The G5RV is still the high performer for me but for those with antenna limitations as far as available space is concerned and HOAs, the end fed dipole antenna is a winner.

I use a 9:1 open wire (not toroid) unun, 63-ft of wire with 16-ft of counterpoise. Check the link on my qrz.com bio to see the diagram.

I plan to test the 49:1 unun design given here and I expect it to be better than mine.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    K0UO likes this.
  12. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not with a HW-8, wish I still had mine.