ad: k1jek

Ham Radio 360: Linux in the Hamshack!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4CDN, Jul 26, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. K4CDN

K4CDN Ham Member QRZ Page

Listen Link Here

One of my Favorite Ham Radio Podcast’s is Linux in the Ham Shack! Not that I’m a Linux guy-but I like to be challenged-entertained and taught. That’s what I get each time I tune into the LHS Podcast-I laugh, I scratch my head and usually walk away with something new!

Linux is an Amazing Free Tool for Ham Radio Hobbyist to utilize in their shack-aided by the advent of the Micro-Computer (ex: Raspberry Pi) it seems to be popping up everywhere! Even on some of my old machines.

Like the Pros they are, Russ and Bill are ever-patient with my questions throughout the show!

[​IMG]

Episode 57

Enjoy!

K4CDN

2. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried Linux several times, but hated losing 90% of the ham radio software I use....

[​IMG]

Already tried most of these. Would either have to emulate or use a DOS-looking Linux alternative...

3. KS4TD

KS4TD Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems you have a lot of software that duplicates the same functions there. CHIRP, fldigi, and TQSL are available natively in Linux. Many hams just don't want to bother actually looking for or using Linux-native software. A lot of the software you mention can run under WINE, however, there are plenty of other alternatives if one looks. I've been using Slackware Linux in the ham shack for several years now--off and on since 2000 but mainly "on" for the past four or five years--and I haven't found a need personally for other software, but then again, I'm not into digital modes (though fldigi is great for that) or anything besides SSB these days.

AD0MI and K3RW like this.