ad: ProAudio-1

Ham Radio 360: ADS-B with Nick, KK6LHR

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4CDN, Jun 13, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4CDN

K4CDN Ham Member QRZ Page

In this episode of the Ham Radio 360 Podcast, I’m joined by Nick, KK6LHR to discuss ADS-B (Automatic Dependent Surveillance – Broadcast).

ADS-B; is known around here as “Tracking Airplanes with a SDR“…but, there’s a lot more to it than that, and Nick helps me understand the ins and outs, plus getting started in ADS-B.

Listen Link Here

[​IMG]

Show Notes and Links Here

thanks for listening!
    73, K4CDN

K2NCC and K3MRK like this.
  2. N0FPE

N0FPE Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a ADS-B feeder for Flightradar24

K2NCC and K4CDN like this.
  3. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

K4CDN likes this.
  4. K3SX

K3SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just retired from a company that manufactures ADS-B equipment and it was refreshing to hear a description of how the overall system works from the other end of the test equipment. Thanks for a well done presentation. 73, Sid K3SX

KN6NK, K2NCC and K4CDN like this.
  5. K4CDN

K4CDN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you all for listening!

6. KN6NK

KN6NK Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks! :)

7. N6NLX

N6NLX Ham Member QRZ Page

This was fun for awhile then it gets boing. I was able to see aircraft nearly 300 miles out. I was using a small sdr rcvr, raspberry Pi, solar panel, lipo and just a small spike antenna all on my roof wirelessly. It was quite basic and worked very well. I was feeding data to Flightaware. They will gladly take your data and give a free membership worth 80.00 dollars. Not sure what I was getting for a free 80 dollar membership. After all, I paid for the equipment, maintained it and paid for the power and Internet access.
    Flightaware took my free data and sells it. Something doesn't seem right about that.

Good article. Yet another facet to the hobby.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  8. LZ2RR

LZ2RR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

9. N0FPE

N0FPE Ham Member QRZ Page

I feed Flightradar24 and they provide all the equipment and great support. I provide a internet connection. For that i get what a paying customer would get but for free. love playing with fleet tracks...Dan

10. N6NLX

N6NLX Ham Member QRZ Page

That sounds like a great deal. Much better than Flightaware. I would consider putting one back up again if they paid for the hardware.

Don.