ad: Radclub22-1

Ham Radio 2.0: Episode 73 - Yaesu Fusion WIRESx Node Demo

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Dec 20, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

2. M0ORH

M0ORH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WOW! that really was a poor presentation of Wires-X! Maybe do a little more research before jumping in feet first!
    #JustSaying!

N4DME and N1SER like this.
  3. KC5HWB

Very positive of you. Thanks.

4. N6YUV

N6YUV Ham Member QRZ Page

Not too much to learn here, thought a good how-to was coming, but not much information.

5. K4MJF

K4MJF Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the demo. I have the HRI-200 connected to my FTM-100 and I am running it as a node on simplex. What a joy to set up and use, and the quality of the audio on C4FM is outstanding as well! I've been connected to the Alabama Link ( 28933 ) since I installed the system in October, 2016. I had the pleasure of using the Alabama Link while I was traveling through Troy, Alabama on vacation. I was quite impressed with how it all worked. I am really impressed with how they have gotten all the different formats to work together (DMR, Fusion, D-STAR, Analog) and that you can connect with a DV4mini, among other ways.

Thanks again, and I enjoy the reviews you give. Keep up the good work!

Mike
    K4MJF

KC5HWB likes this.
  6. KC5HWB

Thanks for watching. I agree, once you get it all setup, it does work and sound very good.

7. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think those that say it is the first digital mode in ham radio since D-star are meaning the first digital mode made for (aimed at) amateur radio. I would agree that they need to make that specification with their statement but that's how I take it. As you stated, the statement alone isn't true (DMR, NXDN, P25) but this is what I have always assumed they mean. So a correct statement would be "it's the first digital voice mode specifically made for ham radio since D-star."

KC5HWB likes this.
  8. KC5HWB

I'd agree with that, yes.

9. KB9ZB

KB9ZB Ham Member QRZ Page

Fusion is still confused, it is a stand a lone repeater that wants to connect to others but still be a stand alone. Audio is great, no flexibility, and wide band vs narrowband for the other digital modes. I am really at odds as to getting one, it seems like its trying to do everything with nothing. I believe the repeater should be able to serve the users, not having users serving the repeater

10. KC6SOT

KC6SOT Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with you that DMR is superior in audio quality but difficult to program. I'm not a fan of Yaesu or Fusion. They have a ways to go before it's plug and play. We have three Fusion repeaters in my local area and NONE of them have a WiresX directly connected. I'm sure Dstar went through similar growing pains. Enjoy your videos. Don't worry about the idiot trolls on QRZ. Some people are never happy. Keep up the good work. Merry Christmas.

Bob

KC5HWB likes this.
  11. KC5HWB

Hey Bob, thanks for watching. Yeah I try not to fee the trolls.

Checkout the Connect Systems CS-580, which I recently did a video episode on. It is much, much easier to program than any other DMR radio out there.

Jason

12. W5WI

W5WI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not into Wires X yet. This was an excellent overview of how it works and the setup options!

Keep up the good work!

dale
    W5WI

KC5HWB likes this.
  13. KC5HWB

Thanks for watching.

14. K1PN

K1PN Ham Member QRZ Page

Many people have strong opinions on Wires X but are lacking FULL knowledge on the mode.
    It does work well as long as you understand it, it is not DMR or Dstar an has many abilities such as News, leaving voice, text and picture files for others to download and upload on various links.
    Many of the abilities of the system are not known by many, and maybe Yaesu should spend the time to re-introduce its full capabilities.

KD5BVX likes this.
  15. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In other words, the best of both worlds.