ad: ELADIT-1

Ham operators selling parts over seas.whats the deal?

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by K0PJH, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K0PJH

K0PJH Ham Member

:confused:I have a question for over seas Ham operators that sell parts on Ebay. I have found some parts for older radios cant be found here in the US but I can find them over seas(UK,AU,)Ect. These sellers will not ship over seas to the US. Why is that? I can understand if you dont want to pay the extra for shipping but you can pass that along to the buyer. I would be more than willing to pay extra to get a part that i need rather than going with out it. I always put shipping to other countrys possible when I post an Item on ebay. Can some of the Over Seas ham operators that sell parts on ebay tell me way they will not ship over seas?:confused:

KD0QVO
    Patrick J Heaverolo

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Premium Subscriber

For a lot of folks it's just hassle factor. I sell a lot on eBay but won't ship out of
    the USA any longer. I can just use Paypal proceeds to pay for and print off a pre-paid
    shipping label and just drop the boxes off at the Post Office. No hour-long wait (very
    typical this time of year at ours) dealing with the slow inefficient postal counter folks
    (sorry - maybe my local lot is just unmotivated).

no customs forms either - I used to HATE dealing with customs forms on a dozen
    boxes shipping overseas. Heck with it - I just won't do it anymore.

Just guessing - but I bet the above is a big part of it for folks.

Dave
    WB7AWK

3. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member

I have three vacuum relays coming from Israel, purchased on eBay. It's not the first time I've purchased parts from outside the US via eBay. My rig's external frequency reference source interface came from the UK. Another purchase came from Canada, 90mi to the North. I'd have gone there to pick it up but, I don't speak the language. ;)

4. KG4CGC

KG4CGC Ham Member

Three times I shipped parts to France, England and Germany through ebay auctions. All 3 times I got burned to crisp. Twice the item was claimed to have never arrived. The third time I sent the item insured and the buyer filed a claim that the item was not as described. All 3 times, ebay and PP made me eat it. I suspect that sellers in the UK expect the same to happen to them if they ship to the US.

5. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber

I've bought variable caps from the Ukraine and a vintage all wave oscillator from England. No problems here. Both sellers were extremely accommodating and prompt.

6. NN4RH

NN4RH Subscriber

7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member

Doh! I forgot I had a couple of buys from the Ukraine... a pair of GS35b tubes, and a nice roller inductor. No problemo.
    I've not done a huge amount of business by remote control but, I've had ZERO issues with foreign sellers and a few problems with US-based sellers. So far. ;)

8. KA9OFN

KA9OFN Ham Member

I used to be an ebay seller and for a while was making serious $$ doing it. I can't speak to shipping to the US, but shipping from the US is a hassle.

First off, you have to fill out a customs form and have it stamped & entered into the system, which right out of the gate means a trip to the post office and standing in line. A seller can't just toss his packages in the bin on the way to work and be done with it.

Then you have to hope it actually gets there. It got to a point where I would not send anything First Class Mail. Everything went Priority Mail International so I have tracking. I sent a power supply to the Netherlands. A month later it arrived back at my house. The box was pretty beat up and it had customs stamps from Spain and Australia on it :confused: . Someone hand wrote the word "return" on the box. I seriously doubt that box was ever anywhere near the Netherlands. The exact same day the package came back, the buyer contacted me asking where his power supply was. I explained the whole thing, ended up refunding his money. It wasn't the buyer's fault so I had to eat over $25 in shipping fees.

There were many other "close calls" with international mailings. I worried every time I sent one.

I kept my "we ship anywhere" policy because about a third of my business was exports and the revenue was too good to turn down. I accepted it as one of the headaches that goes with running a business. But I totally understand why a casual ebay seller who just wants to get rid of a few things would not want to deal with it.

If you want the item that bad, offer to pay a few extra bucks for the time and effort involved with sending the item to you.

9. AC0TX

AC0TX Subscriber

I had two items sent to me one from China and from somewhere else.

In both instances a signature is required. The mailman usually will not get out of the truck to knock on door for a signature instead a postcard is left, so one has to go to the Post office to pick it up [no biggie]

In these two instances the postcard was never left.

The items stayed at the Post Office for two weeks and were sent back. When I finally asked the sellers about the items-they told me and resent the items. This time they gave me the tracking numbers and I kept tracking the items across the ocean, and when it it hit my Post Office , I went down there to get the item

Recently i ordered a small item from Poland [must have come via 'boat mail'] . Three weeks past due , he sends me another THEN the original arrives. I send him an email saying what happened. Then I order two more on E Bay but the message says just send one. [to pay for the replacement]

10. VE1IDX

VE1IDX Ham Member

Welcome to my world. I can't even begin to count the missed opportunities I have had to acquire something I need/want at a decent price only to find that the seller will not under ANY circumstances ship outside the USA even to Canada. Some have actually been downright rude about it when asked. A few have been more than helpful in securing a good transaction.

11. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber

Whew! I figured from the headline that the economy was so bad that US amateurs are selling their kidneys to better-heeled 3rd World citizens. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.